• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Karloff, Dell, TV horror and more.....
4 4

5,010 posts in this topic

Off subject but i the recent news, this is the record breaking painting that just sold for 90 million, painting was done in the early 70's..

normally i am not impressed by newer works but this one is amazing ...my 2c

Image result for 80 million painting

2 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

Off subject but i the recent news, this is the record breaking painting that just sold for 90 million, painting was done in the early 70's..

normally i am not impressed by newer works but this one is amazing ...my 2c

Image result for 80 million painting

Hockney?

3 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

Funny "Peanuts" monster strip from the early days ...

this is exactly how i was after watching a scary movie as a kid ,.. i needed a night light and i wanted to sleep with my socks on too because it felt safer lol 

Image result for peanuts comic strip monster

Just ya socks? lol

I have never read a Peanuts strip, seen a cartoon, or bought a book. Not because I don't like him, just never  got round to it. I did buysomeone a Snoopy  cuddly toy once.  

Edited by Gnasher

3 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

Rationing during the war nearly ended trick or treating but...

When sugar rationing finally came to an end in June 1947, the commercialization of Halloween took off. Candy companies like Curtiss and Brach wasted no time in launching their Halloween advertising campaigns. But it wasn’t just candy companies that had stock in the reemergence of these festive celebrations. As early as fall 1947, the children’s magazines Jack and Jilland Children’s Activities both featured trick-or-treating in their October issues.

The iconic comic trip Peanuts joined in on the fun four years later when they ran three Halloween-themed strips from October 29 – October 31, 1951. Charles Schulz drew his iconic characters in ghost costumes, preparing for “Halloween ghosting.” Patty even used Charlie Brown as the model for her jack-o’-lantern carving. These comic strips helped spread the popularity of Halloween !!!

Sugar rationing lasted up until 1953 as regards sweets/candy in the UK

42 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

Yes and i might by a copy for the house i like it so much ....

Hockney's quite a character, and has done some interesting documentaries on the history of art. His own style is very crisp and quite clinical when doing interiors.(thumbsu 

10 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

Nice monster magazine sales thread going on now including this beauty.....

DSCN7197.JPG

I think I went out with her once... ? lol

Edited by Gnasher

I made the mistake once of allowing my then 8 year old niece watch this when she pleaded and assured me she would not have nightmares. Guess what!?

Image result for man with x-ray eyes comic book

It's a good film though, and I always like Milland's performances

Some promo advertising of the period.

man with the x-ray eyes pressbook

Edited by Gnasher

19 hours ago, Gnasher said:

I made the mistake once of allowing my then 8 year old niece watch this when she pleaded and assured me she would not have nightmares. Guess what!?

Image result for man with x-ray eyes comic book

It's a good film though, and I always like Milland's performances

Some promo advertising of the period.

DreamWorld02_57fc_zpswf7smlrv.jpg