• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Karloff, Dell, TV horror and more.....
4 4

5,010 posts in this topic

On 4/11/2019 at 2:22 PM, Mike Scott said:

So, this is where you get your name.

beano.jpg.e83940fd255720211c6fc6313491277c.jpg

That's it Mike. I just wanted a tough looking avatar so people wouldn't pick on me! :wink:

The Beano btw, came out  first in 1938, so is as old as Action Comics. The Dandy which I prefer to be honest, began in 1937, coincidentally they are both published by D.C. (Thomson) my brackets)).

Edited by Gnasher

6 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Really nice artwork there,Craig, any details who did them?

they hired a street artist..

Learning from their mistakes with the “Dark Universe,” Universal Studios has renewed interest in bringing back their classics monsters proper, with a new initiative that aims to bring in fresh voices who can breathe new life into their roster of icons. And speaking of giving them fresh makeovers, that’s just what Tristan Eaton has done on the Universal backlot.

Reported by THR, the studio commissioned Eaton, a street artist, to spray paint a massive Universal Monsters mural on a 50-by-200-foot wall, and is it GORGEOUS.

Work on the mural, which includes colorful tributes to Dracula, Frankenstein, the Bride of Frankenstein, the Creature from the Black Lagoon and the Wolf Man, began back in January, and it’s now almost complete. As THR’s Aaron Couch notes, Eaton took “particular inspiration from European posters whose art sometimes differed greatly from the films.”

15 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

Universal Unveils Massive Monster Mural on Studio Lot

Image result for universal monsters mural

Seems that he nailed Frankenstein and the Bride - not too sure what source material was used for Wolf Man and Dracula though - they don't look like any versions that I've ever seen - why not use Chaney Jr and Lugosi or are their likenesses owned by the families?...and the Creature looks a bit like a Mandrill.

Edited by pemart1966

2 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

Seems that he nailed Frankenstein and the Bride - not too sure what source material was used for Wolf Man and Dracula though - they don't look like any versions that I've ever seen - why not use Chaney Jr and Lugosi or are their likenesses owned by the families?...and the Creature looks a bit like a Mandrill.

For the Dracula one they may have used an image of Carlos Villarias from a Spanish poster. I have seen a a Lugosi Spanish poster and he still looks a little like Villarias.

Edited by Gnasher

7 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

why not use Chaney Jr and Lugosi or are their likenesses owned by the families?.

You are spot on with the likenesses both families do own the rights, Sara Karloff (daughter) is very clever with her fathers image because she knows that it is important to get it in the public eye. Personally I think that it is just nonsensical, I believe that the fans of these characters are getting older by the day the so called Baby boomer generation and the fanbase is falling (death illness old age). It's not doing the owners any favours as they will soon be forgotten by the current generation Karloff Lugosi Chaney who? I can understand the owners wanting some payback while Universal makes money on their likenesses, however the more they have to charge the more Universal will use just a generic image of the character to avoid payment and the original actor will become forgotten. No one can deny that these images are iconic but it is a thin line that they are crossing.(thumbsu  

10 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

You are right 🤔I can hardly even recognize the Creature mural 🤔🤔🤨