• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Karloff, Dell, TV horror and more.....
4 4

5,015 posts in this topic

Margaret Hamilton was a fantastic character actress who never really got free of the witches hold, she was mostly cast as the red herring or semi sinister part, although I am sure she could have played better roles.:foryou: I have to admit that her witch belongs among the most famous monsters of cinema alongside the likes of Dracula and the Frankenstein monster.

download (1).jpg

Edited by tv horror

4 hours ago, tv horror said:

Margaret Hamilton was a fantastic character actress who never really got free of the witches hold, she was mostly cast as the red herring or semi sinister part, although I am sure she could have played better roles.:foryou: I have to admit that her witch belongs among the most famous monsters of cinema alongside the likes of Dracula and the Frankenstein monster.

download (1).jpg

Leonard Nimoy was like that. Could not shake the Spock syndrome. He never really found a fit after that although he will always be remembered for that role.

Just spotted the Creature items - my favorite Universal monster by far. Back in 1997 I was working at the Chiller Theatre convention for a bootleg VHS dealer (sounds kind of funny in today's day of Blu-ray) and I made a bee line over to Ben Chapman's table on my break. Really nice guy and I ran into him the next morning at breakfast. Not many people were around (early Sunday morning after the late night Saturday party) so he invited me to his table and we chatted for a while - he absolutely loved Hawaii, I'll have to go there one day.

IMG_20191012_121541.jpg

IMG_20191012_121603.jpg

Edited by Cushing Fan

From all the stories I've heard about him he sounded like a really nice person and as you mentioned loved meeting his fans.:foryou: Looking at your photo Mr Chapman looks so similar in stature to "The Creature walks among us" which was played by an actor called Don Megowan  who also played Hammer studios first television Frankenstein monster. 

images (2).jpg

MV5BMTI5MDM2MjE5Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDg1NTQyMQ@@._V1_UY268_CR3,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

11 minutes ago, tv horror said:

From all the stories I've heard about him he sounded like a really nice person and as you mentioned loved meeting his fans.:foryou: Looking at your photo Mr Chapman looks so similar in stature to "The Creature walks among us" which was played by an actor called Don Megowan  who also played Hammer studios first television Frankenstein monster. 

images (2).jpg

MV5BMTI5MDM2MjE5Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDg1NTQyMQ@@._V1_UY268_CR3,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

I actually reviewed Hammer's Tales of Frankenstein recently for an authorized biography I am doing on German actor Anton Diffring who played Baron Frankenstein in that production.

36 minutes ago, Mike Scott said:

Fred Gwynne

I was just" testing" the forum...I knew it all along. :whistle:  Actually I did know it but hey even I have off days.:roflmao: What did you think of all the Creature figures Mike? Is there a collectable or just really nice item you love just that bit more. 

10 hours ago, Cushing Fan said:

authorized biography I am doing on German actor Anton Diffring

Where Chris as I would like to read it as I always enjoyed his work, he always came across as aloof or standoffish yet he took the time to reply to a letter I sent him which travelled the World, first it went to England then they sent it to his U.S agent who transferred it to Dusseldorf then back to me in Ireland!!!! He sent a nice signed photo of himself which I treasure.(thumbsu

images (2).jpg

41 minutes ago, tv horror said:

Where Chris as I would like to read it as I always enjoyed his work, he always came across as aloof or standoffish yet he took the time to reply to a letter I sent him which travelled the World, first it went to England then they sent it to his U.S agent who transferred it to Dusseldorf then back to me in Ireland!!!! He sent a nice signed photo of himself which I treasure.(thumbsu

images (2).jpg

I think it was due to Anton's German background - he was actually extremely friendly by all accounts and even had a fan club where he would actually meet with the members once a month while in England. His background is quite interesting as he was a homosexual German Jew and therefore a target of the Nazis. He escaped to England and started his film career only to be rounded up with other German refugees and shipped to a Canadian internment camp (his ship sunk, and he was placed on another one). He continued acting in the camp and traveled to America when he was released before going back to England where his career began to take off - ironically playing mostly German Nazis, the same people he had to escape from in real life.