• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Karloff, Dell, TV horror and more.....
4 4

5,020 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, tv horror said:

Terence Fisher! I've never seen a bad horror film he made, they have always been very watchable.:foryou:

Agree that Fisher was awesome but I'd attribute his success as a horror director to his pre-1970 work since he only directed one after 1970. I'm thinking 70s until now.

I would go with George Romero as he had the most consistent output, Carpenter is a close second although if you look at his work he did not want to be pigeonholed as a horror director. The only fault is none of them are "great" yes they made some good films but hardly classics I'm sticking with Romero.:foryou: 

20 hours ago, tv horror said:

I don't have the Dr Terror's house of horror Crypt volume but I do have the rest and quite a few collected ghost stories I love mostly the Victorian and Edwardian era, some of those stories hit the mark.:foryou: 

Here's the back cover for that volume for you to peruse.... 

d4cbee19b22cd92ca40390b34f0dfe49.jpg

Another bit of info which should interest you Maurice, is that John Burke has recently been accredited as the screenwriter for this, despite what it says on the poster.

A Brief History Lesson on Modern Culture as Told Through the Movie Tie-in Novels of John Burke - Flashbak

16 hours ago, bronze johnny said:

What do you guys think is the greatest horror movie director for the last 50 years?

A few greats that come to mind:

John Carpenter

Wes Kraven

Sam Raimi

Tobe Hooper

Ridley Scott (he's more than horror but Alien is one of the all time horror greats)

-John

All worthy suggestions, John, but I can't say I favour anyone particular in that time period, so long as I'm entertained, and they're all capable of that, I'm happy. (That's not a cop=out by the way).  (thumbsu

Like Scott, Sidney J. Fury is more than just horror, but The Entity is one of my favourites for tension. 

1 minute ago, Gnasher said:

Here's the back cover for that volume for you to peruse.... 

d4cbee19b22cd92ca40390b34f0dfe49.jpg

Another bit of info which should interest you Maurice, is that John Burke has recently been accredited as the screenwriter for this, despite what it says on the poster.

A Brief History Lesson on Modern Culture as Told Through the Movie Tie-in Novels of John Burke - Flashbak

(thumbsuThanks for the info on Mr Burke Bob although I see Tony Tenser got his credit which I'm not too surprised about.

6 minutes ago, tv horror said:

(thumbsuThanks for the info on Mr Burke Bob although I see Tony Tenser got his credit which I'm not too surprised about.

There was no explanation to  Burke's omission in the first place: I assume it was contractual or something, just mentioned he got the acknowledgement after his death in 2011. (thumbsu

Edited by Gnasher

On 12/23/2019 at 3:01 AM, Gnasher said:

All worthy suggestions, John, but I can't say I favour anyone particular in that time period, so long as I'm entertained, and they're all capable of that, I'm happy. (That's not a cop=out by the way).  (thumbsu

Like Scott, Sidney J. Fury is more than just horror, but The Entity is one of my favourites for tension. 

Carpenter is my choice for 2 reasons: Halloween and The Thing. I would argue that Halloween is the greatest horror film of the last 50 years. Alien and The Thing are right up there with it if we throw in the sci-fi element. Of course Nightmare on Elm Street and Evil Dead run a close second to Halloween. The other reason why Carpenter is first has to do with the influence he had on those who came after. 

The Entity is one of the best ever 80s horror films and is still creepy after all these years. Can't believe the geniuses making unnecessary remakes today haven't taken a shot at the Entity.