• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Karloff, Dell, TV horror and more.....
4 4

5,020 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Mike Scott said:

I always wondered if he got that part because he played a similar character in North by Northwest?

He was much more sinister in the Hitchcock movie, maybe it was more for his role in the tv series Topper were he played Cosmo Topper then again he was also in Tower of London also with Karloff and Rathbone..(thumbsu 

download (1).jpg

download.jpg

58 minutes ago, tv horror said:

He was much more sinister in the Hitchcock movie

I wouldn't exactly call him "sinister". I mean, he was the head of whatever fake name they used for "C.I.A.", so he was all stealthy and tricky and such. You're not confusing him with James Mason's bad guy, are you?

3 hours ago, Mike Scott said:

so he was all stealthy and tricky and such.

Sounds sinister to me:bigsmile: however you could say he was a younger template for his Mr Waverly role. In the opening titles of the Man from Uncle he even admits "I'm the one who sends these young men out into danger!"  As for James Mason why he couldn't hurt a fly...Ask Mr Barlow? 

images.jpg

On 6/12/2019 at 5:04 AM, Mike Scott said:

I always wondered if he got that part because he played a similar character in North by Northwest?

17 hours ago, tv horror said:

He was much more sinister in the Hitchcock movie, maybe it was more for his role in the tv series Topper were he played Cosmo Topper then again he was also in Tower of London also with Karloff and Rathbone..(thumbsu 

Here's the Wiki entry for the character. Mike's pretty much spot on with his observation...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Waverly

And here's Will Kaluva as Mr. Allison, the original head of U.N.C.L.E.

647cbd1b2d39175d089cccb557408eaa.jpg

Edited by Gnasher

2 hours ago, Gnasher said:

And here's Will Kaluva as Mr. Allison, the original head of U.N.C.L.E.

It seems the Producers said after watching the pilot "Get rid of the foreign guy!" so Mr Kaluva was let go even though they meant David McCallum...How David's career nearly ended as a pop culture icon.xD 

8 hours ago, tv horror said:

I contacted the seller about the stickers he told me that he did not have them, but he did have this set of You'll die laughing cards for about $50.:foryou: Bargain or not? 

These are 1973 Creature Feature YDL cards. Are you showing all the cards he is selling? What you have is a mixture of cards from set #1 (1-64) and set #2 (65-128). The numbers are on the backs. The pictures are kinda blurry, but most look pretty nice. There are a lot of rounded corners, though. Cards with nice sharp corners and fairly good centering are around $5-6. Those really rounded ones, maybe a buck?