• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

anybody else seen those Taschen "Little Book Of's"

13 posts in this topic

Taschen has put out a line of little books each covering a Marvel superhero and team. Finished the Spiderman book and just started the Avengers book. Lots of photos of covers, OA, miscellaneous ephemera. tracing the history of the character or group of characters . Great toilet reading.

Edited by NoMan

1 hour ago, NoMan said:

Taschen has put out a line of little books each covering a Marvel superhero and team. Finished the Spiderman book and just started the Avengers book. Lots of photos of covers, OA, miscellaneous ephemera. tracing the history of the character or group of characters . Great toilet reading.

Taschen is by FAR my favorite art book company in the world. Their XL and XXL series of art books are absolutely brilliant. They really put regular art books to shame. And I have seen those books your referring to on Taschen's website, but don't own them and have never seen them in person. I know they have one for Batman, Superman, Captain America, The Avengers, Fantastic Four, and Amazing Spider-Man. Here is the link to Taschen's main page for comic/graphic design books. 

https://www.taschen.com/pages/en/catalogue/graphic_design/all.htm?crt_page=1

I do own Taschen's 75 Years of DC Comics: The Art of Modern Mythmaking, which is part of Taschen's XL line and is an amazing book. I also own Taschen's The Marvel Age of Comics 1961–1978 & The Bronze Age of DC Comics and both are great books as well. And for those that like pin up art, I highly recommend Taschen's The Art of Pin-up, which is part of Taschen's XXL line. Its BY FAR the best book ever made on pin up art and is absolutely MASSIVE. Its 11.5" x 15.5", is 546 pages and weighs 15 pounds. Taschen's XXL books are so big that they come with thier own cardboard storage box with plastic handle. 

1 hour ago, OrangeCrush said:

Taschen is by FAR my favorite art book company in the world. Their XL and XXL series of art books are absolutely brilliant. They really put regular art books to shame. And I have seen those books your referring to on Taschen's website, but don't own them and have never seen them in person. I know they have one for Batman, Superman, Captain America, The Avengers, Fantastic Four, and Amazing Spider-Man. Here is the link to Taschen's main page for comic/graphic design books. 

I do own Taschen's 75 Years of DC Comics: The Art of Modern Mythmaking, which is part of Taschen's XL line and is an amazing book. I also own Taschen's The Marvel Age of Comics 1961–1978 & The Bronze Age of DC Comics and both are great books as well. And for those that like pin up art, I highly recommend Taschen's The Art of Pin-up, which is part of Taschen's XXL line. Its BY FAR the best book ever made on pin up art and is absolutely MASSIVE. Its 11.5" x 15.5", is 546 pages and weighs 15 pounds. Taschen's XXL books are so big that they come with thier own cardboard storage box with plastic handle. 

Their books that go oop have good value on Ebay.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

41 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

There books that go oop have good value on Ebay.

Yeah, especially their limited editions, which can get EXTREMELY expensive. I own a few of Taschen's limited editions incuding Gisele Bundchen, Naomi Campbell, HR Geiger, & Dennis Hopper: Photographs 1961-1967, but most are just too expensive for me. And a couple that I really wanted just sold out before I could order a copy including Norman Mailer's Moonfire limited edition, which comes with a lunar rock and a storage case that looks like the LEM, and Norman Mailer’s Marilyn Art Edition. So bummed I missed getting those at retail pricing. Here are pics of those 2 editions. 

ce-mailer_moon_lunar_rock_1961-cover_06330.thumb.jpg.aebdc997714c61c8ce0e86cdc9da2f59.jpg

ce-mailer_stern_mon_art_a_scarf-cover_06364.thumb.jpg.46516e404b3390315769b89b47c42580.jpg

And while I would have ABSOLUTELY LOVED to have been able to buy Helmut Newton's SUMO book, it was just way too expensive. 13,000 pounds or $18,194 is a bit above my budget, lol. That book is amazing tho. It now holds the record as the biggest art book ever produced. Its 20" x 27" and is 464 pages. It comes with its own metal stand that has "Helmut Newton" engraved on the front. Here are a couple of pics. 

su-newton-cover_02601.thumb.jpg.7763611819ce0ad9e269f8a60c12d270.jpg

su-newton-image_02_02601.thumb.jpg.df6ea370c7c3270d83839167740b6d46.jpg

So basically when that book is open, its 3' 4" wide. And it had an edition size of 10,000 and sold out extremely fast. Just goes to show there are a lot of art book collectors in the world that have VERY deep pockets. I could easily spend $100,000 right now in their limited edition section. Just so many amazing books. Again, IMO Taschen is the best art book company in the world. Have yet to see their equal. 

Edited by OrangeCrush

By "great toilet reading" I just meant it was handy size for the bathroom while seated upon the throne. It was in no way meant to be construed as the book being sh*tty quality or artistically speaking. I don't think that book featuring the woman with the saddle would be handy for toilet reading. 

Edited by NoMan

7 minutes ago, NoMan said:

By "great toilet reading" I just meant it was handy size for the bathroom while seated upon the throne. It was in no way meant to be construed as the book being sh*tty quality or artistically speaking. I don't think that book featuring the woman with the saddle would be handy for toilet reading. 

I understood what you meant, after all the titles for those books are "The Little Book of..." and are only around 4" x 6" in size. They really are the perfect size for bathroom reading. I certainly don't want to read a Taschen XXL book while I am sitting on the toilet, lol. 

Edited by OrangeCrush

8 minutes ago, OrangeCrush said:

Again, IMO Taschen is the best art book company in the world. Have yet to see their equal. 

I would argue that Gerhard Steidl of Steidl Books is the world's greatest printer/publisher of books. We're splitting hairs here, but….

Edited by NoMan

10 minutes ago, NoMan said:

I would argue that Gerhard Steidl of Steidl Books is the world's greatest printer/publisher of books. We're splitting hairs here, but….

Its close, but IMO Taschen has a better overall selection, but that's purely subjective. Both are amazing publishers. 

Edited by OrangeCrush

3 hours ago, NoMan said:

11116737_804163879620672_1906340347_n.jp

15 hours ago, OrangeCrush said:

I've been looking for the 75 Years of DC Comics book, which is annoyingly out of print. I have the Marvel one, which I greatly enjoyed, but still need to find the DC one to go along with it.

1 hour ago, Cocomonkey said:

I've been looking for the 75 Years of DC Comics book, which is annoyingly out of print. I have the Marvel one, which I greatly enjoyed, but still need to find the DC one to go along with it.

Yeah, I own the Marvel one as well. Both are amazing books. Unfortunately for new buyers, both are now oop so your likely going to have to spend at least $200-$250 if your looking to get a near mint copy that still has the storage box in near mint condition. That being said, if getting the XL version is not a big deal for you, Taschen has just released a new version of the 75 Years of DC Comics book that you can find for around $60. Its got the same number of pages, but the dimensions of the book are smaller. The new edition is roughly 9" x "13 with 720 pages. The XL version is roughly 12.5" x 18" with 720 pages. 

36 minutes ago, OrangeCrush said:

Yeah, I own the Marvel one as well. Both are amazing books. Unfortunately for new buyers, both are now oop so your likely going to have to spend at least $200-$250 if your looking to get a near mint copy that still has the storage box in near mint condition. That being said, if getting the XL version is not a big deal for you, Taschen has just released a new version of the 75 Years of DC Comics book that you can find for around $60. Its got the same number of pages, but the dimensions of the book are smaller. The new edition is roughly 9" x "13 with 720 pages. The XL version is roughly 12.5" x 18" with 720 pages. 

Yeah, I know they have a smaller one now, but I want the XL one to put the box up against the Marvel one, heh. Having one XL and one smaller would just bother me to no end. I went to the most recent Taschen warehouse sale a couple weeks ago hoping to find one of the XL ones, but no luck (they had some of the individual Age books for both Marvel and DC, but I only saw 1 copy of the Marvel XL and none of the DC one). Which is a shame, because they discount pretty deeply during that sale. The Marvel one isn't too hard to find comparatively, I see it around (I know Midtown has at least one copy still, and used to have two), but the DC one...bleh. I think Strand may have a copy, but not sure if it has the box (or if it's the XL version or smaller version); haven't had time to go down there and see. May just have to wait and see if I stumble across a copy at a con...