• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stephen King's IT Sequel (9/6/19)

64 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

I think if they went full Stephen King-dark, general audiences even open to R-Rated films would scream 'UNACCEPTABLE'. Like with Thinner with that twist of an ending that was so sad after all the main character had suffered through.

But if we get enough to bring the horror without total dark emotions, that's a win for me.

There is, of course, The Mist. Not exactly a feel-good film, but even King admitted the ending was superior to his own.

I watched the movie on Sunday afternoon.

Overall I liked it and I thought it was a good representation of the book (bearing in mind its my favourite book of all time), I didn't know it was actually 2hr 49mins until I booked the tickets. Saying that, I didn't feel bored at any time but I don't think the horror genre is really the place for 3 hour epics, there could be some stuff cut out and you'd still have the same result. It did very much feel like, "hey the first movie was a success so here is a bigger budget now lets use it", with horror I feel less is more. The set pieces were well done and looked fantastic on screen, but at times it felt very much like big set pieces just about stitched together to make a story.

The latter half of the film does better justice to the book than the TV Mini-series did. I loved the TV mini-series for Tim Curry's portrayal and mostly the first half with the Losers as kids, the 2nd half with the stop motion spider was just awful and really dents an otherwise decent portryal, with a bigger budget and better writers the movie produces a much better 3rd act.

The cast, Chastain, Hader, Mustafa & Ransone are the standouts of the adults, especially Hader who I was really impressed with. McAvoy sort of phones it in and Ryan doesn't really offer much. I was really disappointed with how the adult Henry Bowers character was used, almost just thrown in there just because. A film with this much padding it in could have given way to make the Losers old enemy have more impact then what was given.

I didn't like the overuse of profanity (F word) turns up more than a Tarrantino/Scorcese movie, I know when old, old friends get together there is alot of banter and sometimes swearing is involved but it's totally different to how the Losers were portrayed as kids and it didn't sit well with me. Also how the film starts with the homophobic beating of two men was the most difficult and unnerving thing to see in the movie and because its never referred to or brought up again, I don't know what the point of it was entirely to be honest.

Skarsgaard as Pennywise is a highlight, totally different interpretation to Tim Curry who I really loved, but he does a real good job and is worth seeing just for that. 

Overall, its good but it has its problems but I would see it again in a marathon viewing with the first. As a fan of the book, I don't think I could ask for a better interpretation.

3 hours ago, bane said:
I watched the movie on Sunday afternoon.

Overall I liked it and I thought it was a good representation of the book (bearing in mind its my favourite book of all time), I didn't know it was actually 2hr 49mins until I booked the tickets. Saying that, I didn't feel bored at any time but I don't think the horror genre is really the place for 3 hour epics, there could be some stuff cut out and you'd still have the same result. It did very much feel like, "hey the first movie was a success so here is a bigger budget now lets use it", with horror I feel less is more. The set pieces were well done and looked fantastic on screen, but at times it felt very much like big set pieces just about stitched together to make a story.

The latter half of the film does better justice to the book than the TV Mini-series did. I loved the TV mini-series for Tim Curry's portrayal and mostly the first half with the Losers as kids, the 2nd half with the stop motion spider was just awful and really dents an otherwise decent portryal, with a bigger budget and better writers the movie produces a much better 3rd act.

The cast, Chastain, Hader, Mustafa & Ransone are the standouts of the adults, especially Hader who I was really impressed with. McAvoy sort of phones it in and Ryan doesn't really offer much. I was really disappointed with how the adult Henry Bowers character was used, almost just thrown in there just because. A film with this much padding it in could have given way to make the Losers old enemy have more impact then what was given.

I didn't like the overuse of profanity (F word) turns up more than a Tarrantino/Scorcese movie, I know when old, old friends get together there is alot of banter and sometimes swearing is involved but it's totally different to how the Losers were portrayed as kids and it didn't sit well with me. Also how the film starts with the homophobic beating of two men was the most difficult and unnerving thing to see in the movie and because its never referred to or brought up again, I don't know what the point of it was entirely to be honest.

Skarsgaard as Pennywise is a highlight, totally different interpretation to Tim Curry who I really loved, but he does a real good job and is worth seeing just for that. 

Overall, its good but it has its problems but I would see it again in a marathon viewing with the first. As a fan of the book, I don't think I could ask for a better interpretation.

You didn't tell me it's  your favourite book of all time. I like the book, but it's not even SK's best novel.

Still, if you like the characters that much you might want to read 1963 as some of them pop up there. (To be fair, those bits are the best parts of that book.)

Just got back from Chapter 2.

What i liked...

The casting/acting. It was perfect!

The humor. Really good laughs throughout.

What i disliked...

Aside from a couple very uncomfortable scares, i thought most of the scares were either hokey, or relied too much on being "jumpy". None of them were very entertaining.

The pacing felt scattered

Nothing memorable

Too long

Some of the jokes felt out of place

Pennywise needed better dialogue, and more focus. He seemed like an afterthought.

Overall, i left the theater feeling a bit frustrated/disappointed, especially after loving the first one so much. I give it a solid 6/10. Won't be watching it again.

It Chapter Two topped the box office this weekend for a second consecutive frame, earning a solid $41 million weekend. That gives Warner Bros.’ $70 million, 169-minute, R-rated horror sequel a $153.8 million domestic cume, putting it past every Conjuring movie and every Universal horror flick (Blumhouse or otherwise) save (for now) Halloween ($159 million), Us ($175 million) and Get Out ($176 million). It has earned $323.3 million worldwide thus far, putting it past every Conjuring movie save for The Nun ($366 million worldwide last year), but give it a week. Yes, it’s going to earn less than It ($327 million domestic and $700 million worldwide), but by any other definition, It Chapter 2 is a monster hit.

The second installment of the two-part adaptation of Stephen King’s epic novel dropped 55% in weekend two. That’s not quite the 51% second weekend drop of the first It. However, it’s a hell of a lot closer to the 54% second-weekend drop if M. Night Shyamalan’s The Visit (from a $25 million launch in September of 2015) than the 65% drop of The Nun (from a $53.8 million debut in September of 2018) and the 66% plunge of Insidious: Chapter 2 (from a $40 million launch in September of 2013). Considering that Hustlers is providing sold R-rated competition in a way that mother! sadly did not two years ago, this is a pretty solid hold.

When you account for the lesser reviews, lack of pre-and-post-debut buzz (compared to the first It) and presumed frontloaded nature of the “part 2 of 2” installment, I’m impressed.

Finishing in first once again, It: Chapter Two dropped 55% from its strong $91 million bow last weekend. That’s a slightly sharper dip than its predecessor, which fell 51% in its second weekend with $60.1 million. The horror sequel now has $153.8 million domestically after ten days of release, pacing it 30% behind the first installment, which had taken in a whopping $218.8 million by the same point in its run.

On 9/8/2019 at 3:35 PM, paperheart said:

people can spin all they'd like but US BO is sick this year, down 6% vs 2018 and up a whopping 3% vs 2014. IT2 is just another in a year long string of disappointments; the MCU & Disney being the obvious bright spots.

https://www.hsx.com/security/view/IT2

:baiting: