• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stephen King's IT Sequel (9/6/19)

64 posts in this topic

On 9/3/2019 at 3:54 PM, paperheart said:

mediocre critical reception, probably won't slow it down much at the BO

https://www.metacritic.com/movie/it-chapter-two?ref=hp

I really enjoyed the 1st one, so critic reviews or not I'm on board for part 2.  I bet there are a lot of people like that.  Also critic reviews (in general) really don't matter much when it comes to horror movies.

It Chapter Two topped the box office with a $37.4 million Friday. That includes $10.5 million in Thursday previews grosses, meaning the sequel earned a slightly larger percentage of its “opening day” gross (28%) on Thursday than the first It. That 2017 blockbuster, which opened on this same early September weekend, earned a then-record $13.5 million (for an R-rated movie) in Thursday grosses which made up 26% of its $50.4 million Friday. So, yes, the sequel’s opening day dropped 25% from its predecessor.

This longer, less-acclaimed and slightly less buzzy/primal sequel (adults versus clown < kids versus clown) was never going to match its predecessor’s domestic take. It over-performed to a ridiculous degree here and abroad, so a reasonable downturn was always the likely scenario. This is going to be one of those weekends where I have to explain why a movie opened lower than hoped even as the actual result remains squarely in the realm of “very good.”

Whether you discovered It from the book or the mini-series, whether you were young or old, or whether the mere notion of a big-budget, well-reviewed, R-rated “small town kids confront a killer clown” movie was itself a solid pitch, It appealed to (almost) everyone. Cue a $123 million opening weekend and a $327 million domestic/$700 million worldwide finish on a $35 million budget.

Yes, this sequel cost around $70 million, but when your $35 million “part one” earns $700 million global, you can afford to double that budget for “part two.” It’s a Deadpool 2 situation, where +90% from a $58 million budget is still a reasonable $110 million. When your predecessor, despite being a 135-minute, R-rated horror flick, opens with a $50 million Friday, the follow-up nabbing $37.4 million on its opening day is still excellent.

If it plays exactly like the first It or The Nun (same weekend last year), we’re looking at an over/under $91 million opening weekend. Yes, that’s a 26% downturn, which isn’t great. Ironically, It Chapter Two’s opening will be essentially tied with the $93 million debuts of Justice League in 2017 and Godzilla in 2014, and all three of these films’ opening weekends told wildly different stories.

1 hour ago, paperheart said:

people can spin all they'd like but US BO is sick this year, down 6% vs 2018 and up a whopping 3% vs 2014. IT2 is just another in a year long string of disappointments; the MCU & Disney being the obvious bright spots.

https://www.hsx.com/security/view/IT2

TV, OnDemand, streaming services etc along with home's with amazing home theater set ups will evenly kill the Theatrical Movie industry IMHO.  Disney Plus is already seeing this I think with all the MCU streaming shows which are basically 6 hour long movies (I hope). Premium TV has just gotten too good and people just don't go to the movies that much in the US any more I think. I don't go as much as I use to with the exception of only really big Block Busters like the MCU movies.  Most of the time I just wait until they come out on Blue Ray or are on HBO.

Edited by Xenosmilus

Given the blockbuster performance of the first one -- and the *much* more famous cast of this one, this under-performed.

Opening 25% lower than the first one is bad given the far higher awareness (and brand equity it has); that it couldn't even match Justice League numbers is embarassing.

On 9/8/2019 at 3:35 PM, paperheart said:

people can spin all they'd like but US BO is sick this year, down 6% vs 2018 and up a whopping 3% vs 2014. IT2 is just another in a year long string of disappointments; the MCU & Disney being the obvious bright spots.

https://www.hsx.com/security/view/IT2

From what I heard, it just feels "longer" than it should be.  What was the first one, just over 2 hrs?  This one was 3 hrs 5 mins. w/ previews.  So, less showings maybe?  Still can't wait to watch it on Blu Ray!!!

5 minutes ago, Oddball said:

Box office, whatever. The 5 hour IT double feature together entertained me more than all the Avengers movies. Still a far from perfect translation of the novel but damn did Skarsgard nail it! 

That's what I really care about here as a fan of the original source material. Does the overall story hit home with the terror and intensity experienced in reading the book.

This is sounding like we will get that between the two films. :popcorn:

20 minutes ago, Oddball said:

No Stephen King movie ever matched the terror in his written word to me. IT is no exception. Will be scary for young teens but that’s about it. I found them extremely well done in the Coming of age storylines similar to Stand by me.

I think if they went full Stephen King-dark, general audiences even open to R-Rated films would scream 'UNACCEPTABLE'. Like with Thinner with that twist of an ending that was so sad after all the main character had suffered through.

But if we get enough to bring the horror without total dark emotions, that's a win for me.