• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM FF 48

6 posts in this topic

Hey guys!  After a bit of searching, and a couple trips to the PGM forum, I finally bought my Fantastic Four 48 (and a 50!).  It's a pretty solid book with plenty of defects to knock it down into my range.  Honesty, one of my big "musts" was centering.  I wanted to see that M in Marvel.  Made up for a the other stuff.  Unfortunately, upon inspection I found something going on with the top right corner that i could not see in the initial pictures.  There is a small piece out that someone stuck a sharpie through to "bring the cover back together" I guess.  I don't really have any experience with restoration but that counts as color touch, right?  I know that tends to apply to things being covered up whereas this is behind it but does it count just the same?  I bought though eBay from a man in Canada (I'm in the U.S.) who claimed he was selling his childhood FF books.  They are the only books he has listed so I buy that and the fact that he may have no idea how restoration affects value.  Or even that it was restoration.  So, I'm definitely looking to see what you think the book grades out at but am now very interested to hear ideas on this top corner issue.  While I like the book, I don't like that I may have overpaid for a restored book.  I had no intentions of getting this graded but now feel I would have to should I ever sell to protect both myself and potential buyers.  Just looking for your thoughts.  Thanks!

Fantastic Four 48.jpg

Fantastic Four 48 BC.jpg

Fantastic Four 48 top corner 2.jpg

Fantastic Four 48 top corner.jpg

I'd grade it as a 2.5 and I would not consider that black marker dot on the page restoration.  There is no purpose for it to be there and did there was no attempt to make the book better. If it were on any of the black parts of the cover than yes it would be considered  restoration. I don't think I've seen a book grade out as being restored with a black marker dot or streak on a page.