• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to know if pressing will help grade

9 posts in this topic

I wonder if someone can help me answer this question:

I sent in an Amazing Spiderman #18 for grading and received a 7.5 grade. The notes said:

light, multiple bend back cover
small, multiple indent full left of front cover
very small tear with crease left center of back cover

Would pressing help me receive a higher grade? How could I find this out? 

Thanks for anyone who can assist. 

David

This is how I look at books for pressing. If it breaks color or torn, pressing will not help. If it’s a bend or an indention pressing will typically take care of it. I had a copy of New Mutants 98 that graded at an 8.0. The graders notes said it had a heavy indention on the back cover, so I submitted it to be pressed. It came back a 9.2 (due to another issue on one of the corners). 

25 minutes ago, LADave said:

I wonder if someone can help me answer this question:

I sent in an Amazing Spiderman #18 for grading and received a 7.5 grade. The notes said:

light, multiple bend back cover
small, multiple indent full left of front cover
very small tear with crease left center of back cover

Would pressing help me receive a higher grade? How could I find this out? 

Thanks for anyone who can assist. 

David

The first two will likely press out easily.  But send it to someone who knows what they're doing (joeypost).  This is one of those things where cheap is rarely good and the most expensive isn't the best.

I think the tear with crease alone will hold it down to 7.5 territory. Also, the small multiple indent is problematic because they will probably break color. Bottom line I don't think a press will help much, only with the bends on the back. 'Maybe' you can squeeze out an 8.0 . Again, the tear will hold it back. Pressing isn't magic.

26 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I think the tear with crease alone will hold it down to 7.5 territory. Also, the small multiple indent is problematic because they will probably break color. Bottom line I don't think a press will help much, only with the bends on the back. 'Maybe' you can squeeze out an 8.0 . Again, the tear will hold it back. Pressing isn't magic.

This.

Once a tear enters the equation, chances favor that the remedying of one or two other less grievous defects will not elevate the grade to any appreciable degree.