• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spiderman #796 shenanigans
1 1

94 posts in this topic

I am not even talking about variants, but did anybody have trouble finding the regular cover today?  

I went to my LCS and he had none on the shelf.   I don't have a subscription account, but show up every Wednesday, so the owner knows me.  He said some guy came in and wanted to buy every single copy he had, and he knew he had 'regulars' who come in, and wanted to make sure they didn't get shut out.    So he pulled about half out the guys stack.  He had one waiting for me behind the counter.   

I was very appreciative, but was curious-- are people already over hyping/hoarding this book?   

It was definitely hard to come by, today. Went to two shops today and the first didn't even have a slot for it on the new release shelf, it's possible they didn't even have enough for last minute subscribers. Second shop had three on the shelf, I grabbed one, then the phone rang about 5 minutes later, and next thing I know shop owner grabbed the last two.

It may not be the first full appearance or anything, but if the character has legs, this will continue to be a wanted book if just for the last two pages of story.

5 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

I am not even talking about variants, but did anybody have trouble finding the regular cover today?  

I went to my LCS and he had none on the shelf.   I don't have a subscription account, but show up every Wednesday, so the owner knows me.  He said some guy came in and wanted to buy every single copy he had, and he knew he had 'regulars' who come in, and wanted to make sure they didn't get shut out.    So he pulled about half out the guys stack.  He had one waiting for me behind the counter.   

I was very appreciative, but was curious-- are people already over hyping/hoarding this book?   

Just curious, how long have you been "collecting"?

5 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Just curious, how long have you been "collecting"?

I know, I know...in and out for quite awhile.  I just didn't think this red-goblin thing was really that big o' deal.    The lemming population is increasing at astronomical clips. 

34 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

I know, I know...in and out for quite awhile.  I just didn't think this red-goblin thing was really that big o' deal.    The lemming population is increasing at astronomical clips. 

This one seems to have people pretty furious in the FB groups.

Edited by ygogolak

19 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

It is and that's a large part of what nearly killed the industry in the 90s. 

Is it Emerald City you are talking about?  The speculators buying all the copies right when the shop opens is turning me off to the thought of buying new books to read.  I've seen dudes buy every copy of "hot" new books there for a while now and it's annoying.

I went there the day Ice Cream Man #1 came out at 11:30 and they were sold out.  Bummer that I can't get a copy to read thirty minutes after a shop opens probably because some dude bought every one to flip on eBay.  Feels like the 90s again.

I should have a copy of ASM in my pull though.

I warned those schmucks in the FB groups two weeks ago because I get tired of them posting and crying about someone buying up all the copies from their local shops.  The majority of them are not subscribers but they want to be treated like one when it comes to hot comics. ASM #796 began preselling a few weeks ago for $20 off the bat. I posted a picture of the cover and told them if they didn't want to miss getting this issue then they needed to open a pull list to make sure they could get a copy for cover price. LCS are  not obligated to anyone who doesn't have a pull list. The shops also can't go back in time and up their orders on new comic book day.  You would have think they would have learned after Thanos #13 caused a big uproar a month ago. #13 had pics of people bragging about buying multiple copies showing pics with like 8 copies of it.