• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to tape up a book thats falling apart
2 2

11 posts in this topic

I recently did something I thought I'd never do...I bought a book that's practically disintegrating.  It's rare a Gerber 7 and super cool and I got it pretty cheap...but the cover is split and detached and there is paper loss from the cover along the margins.  I want to tape it up before I submit it to CGC because I don't want the cover being displaced after being slabbed and I'm afraid they may not even accept it if I didn't secure what's remaining of the cover.

So... what's the best kind of tape that's basically transparent, or wont show much, that wont severely damage the book over time that I can use to attach the front and back cover to each other?

Appreciate any suggestions.

2 hours ago, szavisca said:

I recently did something I thought I'd never do...I bought a book that's practically disintegrating.  It's rare a Gerber 7 and super cool and I got it pretty cheap...but the cover is split and detached and there is paper loss from the cover along the margins.  I want to tape it up before I submit it to CGC because I don't want the cover being displaced after being slabbed and I'm afraid they may not even accept it if I didn't secure what's remaining of the cover.

So... what's the best kind of tape that's basically transparent, or wont show much, that wont severely damage the book over time that I can use to attach the front and back cover to each other?

Appreciate any suggestions.

Online. Google search. Plenty of choices and availability for archival tape that will stand the test of time without eventually destroying the paper it's applied to.

1 hour ago, James J Johnson said:

Online. Google search. Plenty of choices and availability for archival tape that will stand the test of time without eventually destroying the paper it's applied to.

From what I’ve been told, and I could be wrong of course, archival tape can lead to a purple label.  Looking for first hand suggestions from people who have done this and can tell me xxxxxx brand of tape works and won’t get a purple label from CGC.

3 hours ago, oakman29 said:

I would under no circumstances use tape. Put it in a mylar, and dont handle it too often.

Let me start by saying...

To each their own.

This rant has nothing to do with CGC and their grading, this has to do with "Low Grade Raw" books and tape.

PR 0.5 - FR 1.0 is the same grade whether it has no tape, a single piece of tape or the whole book is taped.

I have numerous low grade early books (collecting on a budget, goal is/was to complete runs) that were falling apart and when I regraded my books two years ago I taped them all to prevent them from getting worse if and when they are ever touched again.

It will be "years" by the time the tape has created more damage to these low grade books than has already been done by poor handling and time.

6 hours ago, oakman29 said:

I would under no circumstances use tape. Put it in a mylar, and dont handle it too often.

I agree. You are going through all this to send it to CGC. Why do you need it in a CGC slab? Don't bother, just keep it in Mylar. You are correct in assuming it will probably fall apart with all the CGC handling. Save the money, worry, and expense.

Lost track of this thread, appreciate the replies but yea to each their own.  

Was still hoping someone could still recommend a specific brand of tape.

As to why slab a book like this? To me it’s like putting it in a nice picture frame and it lets me put it on display in the house.  Makes me a little less nervous to have my non-comic book collecting friends handling it etc.  As a value submission it’s ginna cost about $30 to slab ... it’s worth it to me.

I’ll try to post a pic when I have some time.

Was still hoping someone could still recommend a specific brand of tape.

I use Filmoplast P Archival Mending Tape and have had great success with it.  Nearly invisible.  Find using scissors still works better than their 'dispenser blade' because I can get the exact size and width from the 3/4" tape.  It comes in something like a 160 foot roll and is in the $30 U.S. range per roll.  Available on ebay, amazon, etc.  You'll love the look of your books!!!  

Edited by Spaceguy
forgot part of name

CGC's own website - the Updated Restoration Grading scale - lists archival tape as a CONSERVATION technique. Link below as well as a cut and paste of pertinent information.   So that strongly indicates that the use of archival tape will get the conserved label. Not a blue label. 

Conservation Repairs

• Tear seals
  • Spine split seals
  • Reinforcement
  • Piece reattachment
  • Some cover or interior cleaning (water or solvent)
  • Staples cleaned or replaced
  • Some leaf casting

Materials Used for Conservation Repairs:

• Rice paper
  • Wheat glue
  • Vintage staples
  • Archival tape

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=4083&