• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Auction Today
4 4

201 posts in this topic

A nice Phantom Lady run - actually one of the best I've seen at one time.  I've always thought of Phantom Lady 17 as the king - errr queen of an entire genre of books ... Good Girl Art (GGA).  Seems like nice examples in this day and age should be pushing 6 figures.  So at 11k on the 7.5 copy - a top ten best copy I'm thinking that book looks pretty tempting. 

With all the talk on the Action 1 - Tec 27 - Cap 1 - Bat 1 ... they are all close to fully priced.  It's getting harder and harder to target under - priced books, but it seems like Phantom Lady in this auction is, gulp - relatively affordable and dare I say it...under valued.

Overstreet Price Guide #8 features a stunning Good Girl Art Cover ...that was my first price guide (SMILE) ... but here is a mind-blowing thought to me ...  not even one Good Girl Art book is even on the Overstreet Top 100 books list at present - correct me if I'm wrong.  Yes, I know an argument can be made for Wonder Woman/Sensation - but she is a mix of traditional hero and good girl art.  I suppose the same could be said about Phantom Lady .... but here's my point...GGA is poorly represented on the Overstreet Top 100 list, BUT if most collectors could have any 100 golden age comics ... surely we'd have several GGA books in our piles.  I would personally take a Phantom Lady 17 over a lot of other books currently in the Overstreet Top 100.  

Overstreet has a list of the top 10 bronze age, and the top 10 war comics, and the top ten horror comics ... I'd like to see a top 10 good girl art books - Phantom Lady 17, Startling 49, Blue Beetle 54, Archie 50 (there is a very nice one of those in this auction), Planet - Rangers - Wings - Jungle - Jumbo - etc. ...What are the top 10 good girl art books?  By value?  Anybody know?

The GGA genre isn't cheap, but it is cheap compared to some of the other genres and in that it has a lot of room to grow.

Many of the golden age GGA books sell so rarely it's tough to know what they are really worth in the current market -  Personally, with so many books fully valued or even over valued the Phantom Lady 17 at 11k is real value - so I'm tracking it.  And when I see the Phantom Lady 23, stunning book and it is the 2nd best known copy of only a handful of copies and it's currently $5,000 on Heritage - it boggles my mind - for many reasons.

Full disclosure - I don't own any of these, but I'm tracking.  I'm enjoying watching the Bat 1 - Cap 1 battle just like everyone else - but the real winner today might be whoever walks away with some of the best Phantom Lady's in the world - all she needs is a movie - Ha - Ha.

Just something to toss out their until the Heritage Auction goes down later today.

Edited by blackterror

In the short time I’ve been collecting these I’ve seen a lot more inflation in the prices on lower to mid grade copies than on the high grade ones.  

Makes me think there’s a lot more people of moderate means like myself getting into them.  Watching along with many others on these boards I’m sure with keen interest to see how these high grade ones do today.

Edited by szavisca

szavisca -  Love your thumbnail - and I've got to say ... in today's auction the Phantom Lady 13 might very well be my favorite book of all for value at the moment.  It's so cool as it crosses genre's.  Horror, Hero and GGA - The cover colors blow me away.  It has a gorgeous color palatte with the pale BLUE background and the striking RED of PL's cape and the YELLOW menacing hand and logo - just pure eye candy ...

But here's the kicker ... it is the 7th best copy in the world of what are only 41 copies on the census and several of those have been resubmitted .... so we are actually talking about only 30 known copies.  On top of that it is a quasi #1 hidden in an issue #13 kinda like the Amazing Fantasy 15 being actually a #1.  But on top of all that  the book is less than Overstreet miss-guide 2 hours before auction.  That boggles my mind.  Talk about flying under the radar.  

Edited by blackterror

You don’t  have to tell me twice how cool PL 13 is...Im saving up to break my bank in an 8.0 or better some day... hopefully.  Anyway... I’ll reserve most of my yaking on the subject till after today’s results come in.  

2 hours ago, blackterror said:

A nice Phantom Lady run - actually one of the best I've seen at one time.  I've always thought of Phantom Lady 17 as the king - errr queen of an entire genre of books ... Good Girl Art (GGA).  Seems like nice examples in this day and age should be pushing 6 figures.  So at 11k on the 7.5 copy - a top ten best copy I'm thinking that book looks pretty tempting. 

With all the talk on the Action 1 - Tec 27 - Cap 1 - Bat 1 ... they are all close to fully priced.  It's getting harder and harder to target under - priced books, but it seems like Phantom Lady in this auction is, gulp - relatively affordable and dare I say it...under valued.

Overstreet Price Guide #8 features a stunning Good Girl Art Cover ...that was my first price guide (SMILE) ... but here is a mind-blowing thought to me ...  not even one Good Girl Art book is even on the Overstreet Top 100 books list at present - correct me if I'm wrong.  Yes, I know an argument can be made for Wonder Woman/Sensation - but she is a mix of traditional hero and good girl art.  I suppose the same could be said about Phantom Lady .... but here's my point...GGA is poorly represented on the Overstreet Top 100 list, BUT if most collectors could have any 100 golden age comics ... surely we'd have several GGA books in our piles.  I would personally take a Phantom Lady 17 over a lot of other books currently in the Overstreet Top 100.  

Overstreet has a list of the top 10 bronze age, and the top 10 war comics, and the top ten horror comics ... I'd like to see a top 10 good girl art books - Phantom Lady 17, Startling 49, Blue Beetle 54, Archie 50 (there is a very nice one of those in this auction), Planet - Rangers - Wings - Jungle - Jumbo - etc. ...What are the top 10 good girl art books?  By value?  Anybody know?

The GGA genre isn't cheap, but it is cheap compared to some of the other genres and in that it has a lot of room to grow.

Many of the golden age GGA books sell so rarely it's tough to know what they are really worth in the current market -  Personally, with so many books fully valued or even over valued the Phantom Lady 17 at 11k is real value - so I'm tracking it.  And when I see the Phantom Lady 23, stunning book and it is the 2nd best known copy of only a handful of copies and it's currently $5,000 on Heritage - it boggles my mind - for many reasons.

Full disclosure - I don't own any of these, but I'm tracking.  I'm enjoying watching the Bat 1 - Cap 1 battle just like everyone else - but the real winner today might be whoever walks away with some of the best Phantom Lady's in the world - all she needs is a movie - Ha - Ha.

Just something to toss out their until the Heritage Auction goes down later today.

Not much that seems a bargain an hour before the auction starts remains a bargain when the hammer falls!

Just now, october said:
5 minutes ago, SuperBird said:

The tone of the computer voice as it declares thousands of dollars in bids is a bit offputting. :)

Do they not use live auctioneers anymore?

They do.  Sandoval is live.