• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Auction Today
4 4

201 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I had a fever all day and was working and missed most of the auction. I got on in time for the phantom ladies and completely expected to take down the 18 but then lost my nerve. I think a lot of it was because of my fever. Also all the books I was selling went real cheap. 

If you don't mind me asking, which books were you selling?

52 minutes ago, jhutton2 said:

The Planet #15 went for less than I thought it would hammer for

50 minutes ago, comicjack said:

Paper is the factor,somebody lost some bucks from the last flip :smile:

Pretty crummy looking copy in my opinion. Though no worse than the 2.0 copy for $3,500 that's been sitting on the Metropolis website for, like, 20 years.

8 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

AA 18 went under guide. 

So did the Cosmic Aeroplane copy of AA 27............really not that much of a surprise when it comes to these more common DC hero books since they seem to have drifted over to the cool side of the market over the past several years.  :frown:

Definitely not the case with AA61 though since this CGC 5.5 copy sold for something like $11,651 or over 3X condition guide.  No cooling off with respect to the heat that's been burning in the classic cover market during the past few years.  :blush:

8 hours ago, SuperBird said:

I kind of feel that prices get higher on HA.com than anywhere else? or just imagining that? 

Opinions differ, but I think you are right.  Their great catalog and their international reach are a real plus.  Having auctions in the afternoon US time is a bit of a drawback, though, imo.

I also feel that their individual lot descriptions for each book doesn't hurt either, especially when you compared it to the big white blank space that usually shows up on virtually all of CC's auction lots.  :p  :facepalm:

8 hours ago, october said:

Bill Barnes 7 fine guide value: $150. lol

No surprise here as I believe this is one of Fishler's very few must have books, apparently similar in vein to his love for Fantastic 3.

I still remember him having it on Metro's Most Wanted List in all grades along with a few other real HTF books like Master 27, Ace Comics 11 with the first appearance of the Phantom, and Fantastic Comics 3.

Somebody probably knew about this and decided to bid it to nosebleed levels (condition wise) knowing that he would pay for it in the end anyways.  :D

9 hours ago, Tsp99 said:
9 hours ago, october said:

That Cap 1 4.0 Q was tempting at $50k. That's a big hit for the married CF.

Yep.   Interesting that a phone bid won it too.  Congrats to the buyer.

Well, that would depend on your feelings with regards to books with married covers or married pages as it still sold for over condition guide.  hm

Personally, I have always put them on the same level as restored books due to the work that would have to be done in order to "married" them together.

On the other hand though, I don't have much problem with a nicely presenting book that might have a clipped coupon if it doesn't drastically affect the story or key character.  With this type of qualified defect, I feel the book is often a true bargain sitting behind its Green GLOD label.

So, I guess to each their own.   (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

8 hours ago, skybolt said:

Wow, $21,500 for the Pl #17 CGC 7.5. That's almost 50% more than than the previous high for that grade just a year ago.

Well, I thought it was nice to finally see a copy of PL 23 managing to hit some big dollars at over $14K, since I have always felt this book to be both undervalued and under appreciated relative to the much more highly acclaimed PL 17.   :applause:  :cloud9:

I know it’s a silver age book but the biggest shocker to me today was the ToS 39 Cgc 8.5 that upon closer inspection looked more  like a 7.0-7.5 going for almost 50k... bit of a head scratcher there. 

Edited by szavisca

10 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

one of the 2 big targets has gone beyond my reach, but the other one is coming to cajun country.  yay!!!!!!!!

cmj2.jpg

Mrs. tth2 says drinks are on her if we ever meet up in person! (worship) 

I knew better than to compete with bayou big money and the Master 22 soared out of my range, but I did get a Raboy consolation prize. 

lf.jpg

Congrats!  Mrs. tth2 is delighted that so many books are ending up with Ultra-High Grade Boardies! :applause:

7 hours ago, IngelsFan said:
9 hours ago, jhm said:

I'm thrilled... been hunting for solid copies of both of my wins today for far too long :cloud9:

nc7.jpeg.0606edcde06c55b78e5dd3ea66f5aa0b.jpegff.jpeg.b04dff718c4141737347a621bcd66f88.jpeg

Sweet score on the National 7. Congrats! That's one I was gunning for hard until last week when I picked up a GA key. Sweet book and tough in any grade, it'

+1

It's good to finally see National 7 get some long overdue and well deserved respect as this copy managed to fetched $11,350 or something like 3.8X condition guide.  :golfclap:

I hope this puts to rest that whole fiasco with the Church 9.6 copy of this book that sold for just over $20K at Heritage in 2004 and then was unable to resell in subsequent auctions over the next several years even though the reserve price on the book was dropped on each successive attempt.  With the current focus on classic covers in today's marketplace, my bet is that the Church 9.6 copy would have no problems fetching multiples of the last $11,500 reserve price that it was unable to hit way back in 2007.  :whatthe:  :takeit:

2 hours ago, skybolt said:
6 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Also all the books I was selling went real cheap. 

If you don't mind me asking, which books were you selling?

Oh, he's probably referring to something like the CGC 7.5 graded copy of Archie 50 which managed to fetched only $5,975 or just over 11X condition guide:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/archie-comics-50-archie-1951-cgc-vf-75-off-white-pages/a/7177-91002.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

After all, this is a drop of almost $300 that another similarly graded 7.5 copy was able to fetch only a few months earlier in the last Heritage auction.  :tonofbricks:    lol

Edited by lou_fine

8 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

Pretty crummy looking copy in my opinion. Though no worse than the 2.0 copy for $3,500 that's been sitting on the Metropolis website for, like, 20 years.

Challenging to find even a decent copy of Planet #15 in my experience.   My own copy graded at 3.0, but cosmetically I think the copy that sold at HA looks a bit better.    Someone is filling a vacancy in their Planet Comics run :)

52 minutes ago, jhutton2 said:

Challenging to find even a decent copy of Planet #15 in my experience.   My own copy graded at 3.0, but cosmetically I think the copy that sold at HA looks a bit better.    Someone is filling a vacancy in their Planet Comics run :)

Agree on all points! 

8 hours ago, szavisca said:

I know it’s a silver age book but the biggest shocker to me today was the ToS 39 Cgc 8.5 that upon closer inspection looked more  like a 7.0-7.5 going for almost 50k... bit of a head scratcher there. 

Could be the reason the eBay 9.0 went from 45K to 57K all of a sudden. lol I feel TOS 39 was the next logical Marvel to make the jump in price. Now will it sustain this new value? We'll know soon as Clink has a 9.0 in current auction.

Also I was watching the Tec 35 in 3.5. Seems the tape had a big impact obviously of the hammer price. Especially the amount of tape on back cover. 

Cap 1 3.5 was a solid price and the buyer will be very happy if he holds the comic for 5 years or more. Heck in this market maybe hold it 5 months.

Edited by lhcomics