• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

YEAH, YEAH,...LETS SEE EM BOTH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

104 posts in this topic

I have to say that finding any GA art, let alone the OA for one of my favorite Batman covers, is very impressive.

Despite the moderate amount of wear and tear (mainly in the masthead) this piece will be bid to the moon. I wouldn't even hazard a guess......

Not frowned upon to much because its one of a kind. Especially if it aids in preservation.

I presume that tape stains and the like can be removed without damaging the original artwork (india ink?) If so, it would be crazy NOT to get high dollar showcase pieces like this restored.

Not frowned upon to much because its one of a kind. Especially if it aids in preservation.

I presume that tape stains and the like can be removed without damaging the original artwork (india ink?) If so, it would be crazy NOT to get high dollar showcase pieces like this restored.

The solvents that a conservator would use to remove tape stains on an object like that would not dissolve the india ink, and there are local treatment techniques (like the use of a poultice or a vacuum suction table) that could keep any solvents away from the inked areas if need be.

I am not sure that those are tape stains though. They could be degraded paste from the original paste-up process or they could be something else entirely. Whatever they are, I should think that they can almost certainly be minimized, if not removed completely.

Hypothetical:

You walk into an antique store and you see both these items. They are priced at $500 each. You only have $500 in your wallet. Which one do you pick ?

And the guy says,.."No" he wont hold the other one for ya...CASH ONLY !!!

Hypothetical:

You walk into an antique store and you see both these items. They are priced at $500 each. You only have $500 in your wallet. Which one do you pick ?

Batman #11. thumbsup2.gif

Hypothetical:

SUCKER !!!!! Bat-Man and Robin are OA...the rest is all STAT !

* oNLY KIDDING,..Actually, Id take the Action, although I reckon most people'll take the Bat 11 (more dynamic). I am a sucker for old Action Covers...damn they are both sweet [#@$%!!!] covers tough.

Hypothetical:

Does that even matter on a piece like this?

Hypothetical:

Absolutely it matters. Collector's collect ORIGINAL ART NOT Production pieces per se.

It would completely dessimate the piece's value if it was mostly stat as I described and would be worth about 35% - 45% of the "Full Value".

I remember seeing the Cover to Dare-Devil #21 sell for something like 7K about five years ago because it was a similar 'problm piece' when it would have sold for 20K plus at the time if it was not 'a problem piece'.

The one rule of OA collecting is . . .it must be OA.

Hypothetical:

Absolutely it matters. Collector's collect ORIGINAL ART NOT Production pieces per se.

It would completely dessimate the piece's value if it was mostly stat as I described and would be worth about 35% - 45% of the "Full Value".

I remember seeing the Cover to Dare-Devil #21 sell for something like 7K about five years ago because it was a similar 'problm piece' when it would have sold for 20K plus at the time if it was not 'a problem piece'.

The one rule of OA collecting is . . .it must be OA.

Interesting. Thanks for the tip.

Having looked closer at the piece, it is pretty clearly not a stat background so I guess this is all irrelevant anyway.