• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Collecting OA to key issue comics
1 1

7 posts in this topic

It appears to me from reading the message boards and listening to Felix Comic Art Podcast the the typical path for OA collectors is start with collecting graded/key comics and then move onto OA.

I had never collected single issue/key comics. But after having started collecting original comic art just under a year or so ago, I’ve started dabbling in key comics recently.

It’s mostly because of Kirby. I would really like a piece of Kirby Silver Age OA, but there is no way I can afford it. But I figure I can still get first print/first appearance Silver Age comics like FF 48 to 52 in mid grade for a few hundred $ and those things do tend to hold their value. 

So I was wondering if anyone else here has branched into collecting key comics from collecting OA.

812A35D1-0A62-4C73-82BF-7448836E2423.thumb.jpeg.6b933a857e31c5978b932fed7315aff4.jpeg

4B9AEC19-72C7-4A98-B382-1BB7D3839B86.jpeg

Definitely not the case for me.  I actually moved from collecting comics to art around the time CGC was being started -- once condition became paramount and you could no longer touch/read comics without impacting value.  I love the fact that I can actually hold a page of original art in my hands without having to worry about that.  

I do love collecting art to key issue comics when possible though.  Most of the major ones are out of my price range, but I did just pickup a page from the first appearance of Mon-El.  I also have pages from the first appearances of several minor and mid level Marvel characters.

On 25/02/2018 at 2:39 AM, tlatner said:

Definitely not the case for me.  I actually moved from collecting comics to art around the time CGC was being started -- once condition became paramount and you could no longer touch/read comics without impacting value.  I love the fact that I can actually hold a page of original art in my hands without having to worry about that.  

It does appear that OA collectors are put off by the obsession with grade/conditions required in collecting comics. I myself prefer old looking low grade books as long as they are presentable; As an aside, I feel that that my non OA/comic collecting ‘civilian’ friends are also more impressed by lower grade books as they exude more antique quality. 

On 25/02/2018 at 2:39 AM, tlatner said:

I do love collecting art to key issue comics when possible though.  Most of the major ones are out of my price range, 

That’s the main issue right there. Any key comic or first appearance (Original X Men, Black Panther, Silver Surfer, Thor - basically Kirby characters), the possibility of getting OA from those is simply nonexistent.

So what the cheaper alternative? I suppose I could get art from modern comics with these characters. But then it would be art by Kirby. Hence the comics themselves as something instead of nothing. 

No, I went from the comics to the OA. Too many stories are variations on the same old themes, stretched out through multiple issues, and breaking far too many rules of physics, chemistry, law and common sense to stay focused. OA gives me the chance to enjoy the nostalgia of my uneducated youth.

It's nice to be 10 again, if only for a few minutes.

10 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

No, I went from the comics to the OA. Too many stories are variations on the same old themes, stretched out through multiple issues, and breaking far too many rules of physics, chemistry, law and common sense to stay focused. OA gives me the chance to enjoy the nostalgia of my uneducated youth.

It's nice to be 10 again, if only for a few minutes.

That might be difference right there. I never read the comics as a kid. Only came to them as an adult. So I can see the Silver Age key comics as quaint yet charming collectables. 

I dunno, maybe I’m just talking out of my inter-gluteal cleft to justify spending around $1,000 on comics that I could have spent on art instead. 

1 hour ago, Skizz said:

That might be difference right there. I never read the comics as a kid. Only came to them as an adult. So I can see the Silver Age key comics as quaint yet charming collectables. 

I dunno, maybe I’m just talking out of my inter-gluteal cleft to justify spending around $1,000 on comics that I could have spent on art instead. 

It’s fine to do both.  Neither market is going anywhere but up.  : )