• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Starlin Avengers Annual 7 page

9 posts in this topic

This prime Starlin Avengers Annual 7 page is on Heritage this Sunday in what I thought was always considered a lower priced weekly auction...

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/panel-pages/jim-starlin-and-joe-rubinstein-avengers-annual-7-story-page-28-thanos-adam-warlock-and-ca/a/121808-14149.s?type=bidnotice-tracked-dailystatus

Classic Starlin cosmic page that will end well into the five figure range.  Do these high end pages pop up more often that I thought on Sunday auctions (which I rarely look at)?  If I owned this page, I'd want as big a stage and as many eyes for it as possible, so the choice of timing/venue seems a little unusual.

Also, there is a detail noted in the description that caught my ettention...

"Jim Starlin turned in the layout for this page, so Joe Rubinstein could finish in ink and Zipatone over graphite on Bristol board with an image area of 10" x 15"." 

Does that description imply something unusual about the production of the page compared to other pages from this issue?

Edited by stinkininkin

1 hour ago, stinkininkin said:

This prime Starlin Avengers Annual 7 page is on Heritage this Sunday in what I thought was always considered a lower priced weekly auction...

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/panel-pages/jim-starlin-and-joe-rubinstein-avengers-annual-7-story-page-28-thanos-adam-warlock-and-ca/a/121808-14149.s?type=bidnotice-tracked-dailystatus

Classic Starlin cosmic page that will end well into the five figure range.  Do these pop up more often that I thought on Sunday auctions (which I rarely look at)?  If I owned this page, I'd want as big a stage and as many eyes for it as possible, so the choice of timing/venue seems a little unusual.

Also, there is a detail noted in the description that caught my ettention...

"Jim Starlin turned in the layout for this page, so Joe Rubinstein could finish in ink and Zipatone over graphite on Bristol board with an image area of 10" x 15"." 

Does that description imply something unusual about the production of the page compared to other pages from this issue?

It shouldn't imply anything. Starlin was supposed to ink the book, but fell behind and that's why Joe inked it.  The detailed note is incorrect. Jim had already pencilled the whole issue.

I remember Joe showing me the pages as he lived a block from me in NYC.

52 minutes ago, artdealer said:

It shouldn't imply anything. Starlin was supposed to ink the book, but fell behind and that's why Joe inked it.  The detailed note is incorrect. Jim had already pencilled the whole issue.

I remember Joe showing me the pages as he lived a block from me in NYC.

Fair enough.  I always just thought of the book as simply pencilled by Starlin, and inked by Rubenstein.  The notation being so specific about Starlin "turning in the layout" made me wonder if some percentage of the book was either looser than full pencils or if even Rubenstein inked it on a second board based on Starlin layouts.  It was the wording that got my attention, since Heritage does not normally make the penciller/inker notation like that.  Nice page either way.  

Edited by stinkininkin

15 hours ago, O. said:

Ah, good clarification.  Was not aware of the "finishing" and "finished art" designation.  The Heritage description makes sense in that light.  Case closed.

On 2/24/2018 at 1:45 PM, stinkininkin said:

... on Sunday auctions (which I rarely look at)? 

I check the Sunday auctions every Monday morning.  There are usually only 150 - 200 items so it's no big time waster.                                                                                         Current Sunday ends have Neal Adams and John Byrne pages - probably a nice deal to be had?...

I rarely bid tho' I have been tempted by some of the Edgar Church pieces - the retro look of them is so darn appealing.