Vancouver (BC) Comic & Toy Show Sun. Feb. 25, 2018 Croatian Cultural Center
1 1

15 posts in this topic

10,932 posts

170 vendor's table Old School comic book and pop culture toy convention Sunday at 3250 Commercial Drive, Vancouver, BC, Canada. 3 sold out halls of collectible comics, Pop figure toys, $1 blow out comics and pop culture galore. Admission is only $8. FREE parking. Guest of honor is artist/inker Steve Sadowski (JSA, Princess/Warlord of Mars variant covers, etc.). The snow has melted so check out the family fun at the convention. More info here:

Vancouver Comic Show & guests

Z7DcxDI.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,932 posts

Forgot to mention that 'Voldemort' Grading will again be on the stage accepting vintage or hot :idea: comics and mags for slabbing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,824 posts

Yeah... another crazy night leading to a crazy day in the show. I finally fix my wall rack a bit better. On the other note, I had been working my new wall rack project slowly. The base stand is entirely of metal welded to my specs. That is for next show, of course. 

Bringing some new books to sell. :foryou: Need some pocket money for my ECCC trip after this show.

Glad that there is no snow tomorrow!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,824 posts

The show was not bad. It started slowly then picked up from noon to about 3 pm, then slowed down a bit. Sales were alright- a bit lower than expected. Sold a lot of $1-2 readers and $5-20 books. Visited the new 3rd room to get the sense in there. Interesting area, lot of toys but did saw a few comics. One vendor had a GA Tec 98 on table. I had a look, I like this raw copy but the price was bit too high. 

On the other hand, I did traded couple of books for a Archie multi variety pack. It is a yellow label with white diamond price logo. From 1974. Never seen that one before. :x comics still sealed inside. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,932 posts

Strong attendance and the center hall was buzzing with collector/customers steadily to about 3:30 p.m. Slowed down after the final 4 p.m. prize draws. Retail sales were above expectations for me. Sold my first Dic k Tracy comic in 8 years to a teenage girl who was happy just to find one from the 1950s for $20.

Saw a long box of nm X-force #1's so no shortage in the Vancouver area. The gold 2nd printing has a much lower print run. If one had time to dig (like greggy who generously bought a 'Deadly Hands of Kung Fu' Bruce Lee mag from me), there were good deals at the 3 hall con.

I would rather be buying than selling. Some of my purchases including a scarce Crime Fox Giant:

8AdjBXB.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,932 posts
On 2/25/2018 at 8:02 PM, Fan Boy said:

 Visited the new 3rd room to get the sense in there. Interesting area, lot of toys but did saw a few comics.

 

See if one can spot greggy in these uploaded pics from the 3 hall comicon:

comics & toy pics Feb. 25, 2018 Vancouver, BC

They are already sold out of 170 vendor's tables for the next Father's Day Van Comic Show Sun. June 17, 2018. Let us see what the impact is of comicon table rental costs going up $15 each for the Hallowe'en Oct, 2018 show. Thus, wall table would be $90 plus gst but a comparatively good value still compared to Calgary's Red and White semi-annual con with it's $150 non-wall table although Calgary's attendance is higher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
279 posts

Anybody have info about the dealer/vendor lineup for the Victoria con on March 16?  All kinds of guests and activities advertised but there's nothing from their online presence to indicate they'll have comic books there lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,824 posts
37 minutes ago, s.krank said:

Anybody have info about the dealer/vendor lineup for the Victoria con on March 16?  All kinds of guests and activities advertised but there's nothing from their online presence to indicate they'll have comic books there lol

Good question! I just returned from Victoria after doing some selling in a local comic show today. Was thinking to go back for this con, but needs to know who is on guest list? (shrug)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,932 posts
1 hour ago, Fan Boy said:

 I just returned from Victoria after doing some selling in a local comic show today. Was thinking to go back for this con, but needs to know who is on guest list? (shrug)

I don't expect any vendors from Vancouver to travel to Victoria 2.5 day con where each booth is over $550 for an inaugural con (with limited comics guests) run by the same folks that operate/promote the 1 day Cherry Bomb Victoria cons.

Fan Boy: will you be vending at the next HH con or is selling at 3 cons in 3 weeks :kidaround: too much work from your day job?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,824 posts
44 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

I don't expect any vendors from Vancouver to travel to Victoria 2.5 day con where each booth is over $550 for an inaugural con (with limited comics guests) run by the same folks that operate/promote the 1 day Cherry Bomb Victoria cons.

Fan Boy: will you be vending at the next HH con or is selling at 3 cons in 3 weeks :kidaround: too much work from your day job?

:grin:  You could say that, aardvark88.  The Victoria show today was to see how it go in my inaugural tryout. Now I know what it take to do better. This month to end of April, I think I will do one more con as a vendor, and it is the SCC con before I go to Calgary show as a fan. I need to replenish my budget as much I can. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
279 posts
On March 4, 2018 at 5:57 PM, Fan Boy said:

Good question! I just returned from Victoria after doing some selling in a local comic show today. Was thinking to go back for this con, but needs to know who is on guest list? (shrug)

I got a reply to my email-  

'The exhibitor information will be going up on our new website this week. We have 3 comic dealers and 2 additional that specialize in pressing and comics. They will be there all days of the convention.'  

3 comic dealers!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,824 posts
8 hours ago, s.krank said:

I got a reply to my email-  

'The exhibitor information will be going up on our new website this week. We have 3 comic dealers and 2 additional that specialize in pressing and comics. They will be there all days of the convention.'  

3 comic dealers!!

Well, that answered my question. Didn’t think I would go to that show. With 3 comic dealers and then there is the ferry cost (even if I take bus and be foot passenger) ... I can get the same fun in one of HH cons. :blahblah:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
279 posts
1 hour ago, Fan Boy said:

Well, that answered my question. Didn’t think I would go to that show. With 3 comic dealers and then there is the ferry cost (even if I take bus and be foot passenger) ... I can get the same fun in one of HH cons. :blahblah:

Fanboy, there's a one day show in Nanaimo in the spring that's been fun.  They hold it in the mall outside of curious comics... on free comic book day I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,932 posts
2 hours ago, Fan Boy said:

 With 3 comic dealers and then there is the ferry cost (even if I take bus and be foot passenger) ... I can get the same fun in one of HH cons. :blahblah:

Different from HH con. Not clear if Victoria con will get 'Voldemort' Grading plus a Vancouver area comics presser there promoting their services.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
108 posts
1 hour ago, s.krank said:

Fanboy, there's a one day show in Nanaimo in the spring that's been fun.  They hold it in the mall outside of curious comics... on free comic book day I think.

Funny thing you should mention that. My friend in Victoria just emailed me this show. I will see about going there and have time with my island friend. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
1 1