• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man 529 CGC Problems

11 posts in this topic

Hello all. I just bought a CGC 9.8 copy of Amazing Spider-man 529. It seems to be encapsulated in one of the older slabs. The comic itself has a great deal of waviness and wrinkles. Anyone else run into any 9.8's with this problem? Wondering if it was actually graded a 9.8 with this problem, or if that has occurred after at some point? The comic also has moisture visible inside the case (not Newton rings). Trying to decide whether or not to pursue a refund. Can't imagine it would grade a 9.8 with that much waviness. Any help is appreciated. 

20180224_231028.jpg

20180224_232150.jpg

Shipped from Illinois. After doing some research, it seems that many comics from this time period have the waviness, possibly caused by the ink that was used when they were printed. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Is it really so common that CGC doesn't consider it a flaw when assigning a grade of 9.8?

2 hours ago, topcat54 said:

That does not look like water to me.I have a few slabs with the same look.

Someone told me two slide a piece of paper in the side and it will take that away.

That helps with the rainbow affect which occurs when the mylar comes into contact with the slab, but this is actual waviness in the comic itself. It's not uncommon on newer books, but there's nothing to be done about it.

I have a Silver Surfer 44 that I'm considering getting graded but have hesitated because the inner pages all have a distinct waviness to them (not so much the cover but it's clear on the inner pages)....anyone know how CGC handles this grade-wise?  I don't want to send in a book for grading that is a 9.4 or better and have it come back much lower because of this issue.  I have pressed the book myself several times but can't seem to get rid of the waves.

On 7/16/2018 at 9:18 PM, nrad1968 said:

I have a Silver Surfer 44 that I'm considering getting graded but have hesitated because the inner pages all have a distinct waviness to them (not so much the cover but it's clear on the inner pages)....anyone know how CGC handles this grade-wise?  I don't want to send in a book for grading that is a 9.4 or better and have it come back much lower because of this issue.  I have pressed the book myself several times but can't seem to get rid of the waves.

You can always have it pressed so the waves are gone and the book lies perfectly flat.