• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So what issue is the real 1st app of Red Goblin?
2 2

378 posts in this topic

Not sure this has been answered but has Cgc decided which issue is the real red goblin 1st appearance? It seems that a lot of the variant covers show red goblin but he isn’t actually in the comic yet. do covers count as first appearances?

i am just very confused here. lol

If the content is to be taken literally, he hasn't shown up yet. ASM 796 had the Carnage symbiote reject the nanites in Norman's blood preventing him from being the green goblin. Safe bet seems to be that we'll see the Red Goblin in 797. Everything else has just been Norman with the Carnage symbiote, not the Green Goblin with the Carnage symbiote, hence, the Red Goblin.

9 hours ago, TSwift25 said:

If the content is to be taken literally, he hasn't shown up yet. ASM 796 had the Carnage symbiote reject the nanites in Norman's blood preventing him from being the green goblin. Safe bet seems to be that we'll see the Red Goblin in 797. Everything else has just been Norman with the Carnage symbiote, not the Green Goblin with the Carnage symbiote, hence, the Red Goblin.

Yes, it seems that Amazing Spider-Man 797 will be the first Red Goblin. Amazing Spider-Man 796 is a fizzle in that respect; well except for those folks spending quite a bit to purchase copies of it on eBay or otherwise.

2 hours ago, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

Yes, it seems that Amazing Spider-Man 797 will be the first Red Goblin. Amazing Spider-Man 796 is a fizzle in that respect; well except for those folks spending quite a bit to purchase copies of it on eBay or otherwise.

Purchased and dumped. But I did hold a copy of the 795 Hulk cover, because I liked the Hulk cover.

1 hour ago, The Resurrection said:

Purchased and dumped. But I did hold a copy of the 795 Hulk cover, because I liked the Hulk cover.

Pat,

Yes, A S-M 396 was certainly a dump; although all of the "new" A-S-M, 789>, very likely are.

1 hour ago, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

Pat,

Yes, A S-M 396 was certainly a dump; although all of the "new" A-S-M, 789>, very likely are.

798? Whatever, if 797 is hot that will get the same treatment. If the character is cool though, I will gladly buy a few for myself. But face it Tiger, you're no Batman lol

7 minutes ago, The Resurrection said:

798? Whatever, if 797 is hot that will get the same treatment. If the character is cool though, I will gladly buy a few for myself. But face it Tiger, you're no Batman lol

Pat,

I meant to type 796 (396 was a typo).

19 minutes ago, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

Pat,

I meant to type 796 (396 was a typo).

Come to think of it, I likely have at least 5 copies of A S-M 396. Perhaps I can pay people to take those off my hands. (shrug)

3 hours ago, TheRealVenom said:

Wasn't there a store variant for 796 featuring red goblin on the cover? Wouldn't that count?

Not as the first appearance. At least not by the masses.

CGC for instance has labeled Deadpool's Secret Wars #2 variant as "Predates Howard the Duck #1".

6 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Not as the first appearance. At least not by the masses.

CGC for instance has labeled Deadpool's Secret Wars #2 variant as "Predates Howard the Duck #1".

Isn't DSS2 "the one"? GPA values show it pretty consistently going for more than HTD1.

And what about Kamala Khan/MM cover on CM17 2nd print?

Kinda seems like the masses decide those cover-only appearances are the ones to get for those characters, no?

1 minute ago, jcjames said:

Isn't DSS2 "the one"? GPA values show it pretty consistently going for more than HTD1.

Kinda seems like the masses decide those cover-only appearances are the ones to get for those characters, no?

Isn't Red Hulk #1, a cover only appearance, and considered his first appearance?   I'm so confused. 

48 minutes ago, jcjames said:

Except DSS #2 sells for less than HTD #1 Lim.

And CM #17 2nd Print sells for less than CM #14 Conner (the actual first appearance anyway).

A character's first appearance and their most valuable appearance are frequently two different books now.

23 minutes ago, darkstar said:

Except DSS #2 sells for less than HTD #1 Lim.

And CM #17 2nd Print sells for less than CM #14 Conner (the actual first appearance anyway).

A character's first appearance and their most valuable appearance are frequently two different books now.

hm

Weren't the Lim and Conner variants harder to find (like 1:50 and 1:30)? HTF variants of "1st appearance" in a story are valued more than the common-as-dirt Cover-As of that same issue, and I suppose the same could be said for very-common "1st covers".

Things are getting more blurred though.

8 hours ago, jcjames said:

hm

Weren't the Lim and Conner variants harder to find (like 1:50 and 1:30)? HTF variants of "1st appearance" in a story are valued more than the common-as-dirt Cover-As of that same issue, and I suppose the same could be said for very-common "1st covers".

Things are getting more blurred though.

DPSW2 is a variant. There is no connection to the book, unlike the others.