• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So what issue is the real 1st app of Red Goblin?
2 2

378 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, LarrysComics said:

Amazing Spider-Man #797 - 1:10 Ed McGuiness design variant.

Hide contents

There's NOT even a hint of him in the comic.

Or Eddie's ComixExposure #796 cover if shop variants are included.

Spoiler

No mention or appearance in 797 ?

Edited by ComicCollectorMatt

3 hours ago, tv horror said:

I've seen a variant were it is a homage to Hobgoblin's first appearance that's what I'm going on for the Red Goblin.

1986696-the-amazing-spider-man-797.jpg.8f454d74fa40debbbcf161f35269de99.jpg.42601fd539284c8e460cc873ac718c4a.jpg

What about one issue before?

Have to say, I'm definitely intrigued as to the motive for your misinformation.

IMG_7055.PNG

33 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

What about one issue before?

Have to say, I'm definitely intrigued as to the motive for your misinformation.

Now that's a nice cover! As for a motive I have none other than looking forward to seeing the Red Goblin and as I mentioned, I just assumed about the first appearance of the Hobgoblin and that cover. Don't take the fun out of guessing.:smile:

9 hours ago, tv horror said:

Now that's a nice cover! As for a motive I have none other than looking forward to seeing the Red Goblin and as I mentioned, I just assumed about the first appearance of the Hobgoblin and that cover. Don't take the fun out of guessing.:smile:

I have no problem with formulating a hypothesis. But your posts have more statements.

The amalgamation of Norman Osborn, who happens to be the Green Goblin, and Carnage was issue #795. The Ross cover for this issue is now bringing between $18 and $30. The Keown Hulk variant is consistently in the $30 to $40 range. Unless the Red Goblin turns out to be someone besides Norman Osborn, this book predate the 1st appearance of the actual look in a story by possibly months. There is the very real possibility, however unlikely it may seem, that Carnage and some other entity become the Red Goblin and that. Norman Osborn is left out in the cold. We'll all know very soon. 

It is rare that more than one issue benefits in a run. ASM #298, 299, and 300 are examples. They aren't perfect examples because part of their value comes from having one of the most admired artists of the modern age having done the run. 

My spec is that both covers of #795 are the safest bets. Every ASM run collector, Spider-man, Green Goblin, Carnage, and even Keown Hulk collectors will want/need to have this book.

Issue #796 will probably be immensely less significant other than the store variant featuring the Red Goblin on the cover. This is either the first cover appearance if Osborn/Carnage are the Red Goblin or it is the actual first appearance, akin to Gwenpool on Deadpool Secret Wars #2, if someone other than Osborn is the Red Goblin. The first cover appearance would seem to have the highest ceiling of all of the books to this point. Still  the majority seem to shy away from store variants so they probably won't compete for the same dollars or the same buyers as issue #795.

Issue #797 seems to be a book caught in the middle of the waiting game. There are some nice covers here but its hard to imagine that this book is as. important in the long term other than you need it to complete from #795 to ???

This run and first appearance seems to be building up to issue #800 which is going to happen about the same time as Action Comics #1000. Marvel is probably using this for marketing and excellent marketing at that.  

Spoiler

The Hobgoblin/Goblin King showing up here leads me to believe there may be a little purposeful misdirection going on here. 

Its god to see Spidey back in the spotlight in any case. 

Edited by the authority

Spoiler

No red goblin in 797. The book that will take off, value wise, has not been released yet in my opinion. 

I believe 795 and 796 will end up not being worth it. Market inflated the value because of hype. Not sustainable. Nothing in those books that is memorable. No red goblin.

Spoiler!

12 minutes ago, Bakerbr13 said:
  Hide contents

No red goblin in 797. The book that will take off, value wise, has not been released yet in my opinion. 

I believe 795 and 796 will end up not being worth it. Market inflated the value because of hype. Not sustainable. Nothing in those books that is memorable. No red goblin.

Spoiler!

Appears so.

Oh, well, another blow to my early retirement plans.

The Red Goblin is supposed to be revealed in #799, right? I hope they bring Ned Leeds back from the dead and have him become the Red Goblin in that issue. Then we can cash in on both ASM #238 and #799......

Edited by kimik

3 hours ago, the authority said:

The amalgamation of Harry Osborn, who happens to be the Green Goblin, and Carnage was issue #795. The Ross cover for this issue is now bringing between $18 and $30. The Keown Hulk variant is consistently in the $30 to $40 range. Unless the Red Goblin turns out to be someone besides Harry Osborn, this book predate the 1st appearance of the actual look in a story by possibly months. There is the very real possibility, however unlikely it may seem, that Carnage and some other entity become the Red Goblin and that Harry Osborn is left out in the cold. We'll all know very soon.

You mean Norman Osborn right?

Personally, I agree that in issues #795 and #796, we see Norman Osborn as Carnage.  He doesn't appear in his Green Goblin costume, nor does he even have access to those powers/psyche for much of those issues due to the nanites.  Thus, to date there has not been a 1st appearance of the Red Goblin to speak of imo.