• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So what issue is the real 1st app of Red Goblin?
2 2

378 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, ComicCollectorMatt said:

Can't see what you love about the villain, since he hasnt even debuted yet.

I'm sure Marvel is listening to what you love at this moment in time......

*crickets chirping*

I like the concept of an established  villain with a long history with Spidey  like Osborne getting bonded  with a psychotic symbiote that encourages him to go more crazy than ever, helping him to enjoy using his genius intellect and enhanced abilities in new,  horrible ways.  In  turn it would be interesting to see  if/where he would  draw the line in how far over the edge he lets the carnage symbiote take him and if he could overcome it. 

Now,   It' quite possible red goblin isn't Osborne, but I really like the idea if it is. 

It would seem like a missed opportunity to not explore this over the years.   Of  all the mash  up ideas going around at the moment I really really like this one as it feels has potential to be the   evolution of a major character(s) moreso than a mix and match of ideas. 

The whole concept of origins is good as well.. Osborne having to use carnage symbioye to allow him to access his locked out abilities. 

All good  imo. 

Edited by MGH

I haven't read an ASM issue for a few months but I'd guess the red goblin is Phil Urich, that's the first major villain Slott intoduced in his first post-BND issue (648) and killing him in 800 along with probably JJJ in 800 will be the end of the run with the tearjerker memorial of JJJ in 801 and then in 802 Spencer-Spidey reveals that the spider that bit Peter in AF15 was a symbiote. :news:

On 3/30/2018 at 1:02 AM, williamblood said:

the 796 cx covers are good long term holds since there first covers. and 798 will have an appearance unknown whether its a full or not

I think #794 to #800 will all be keepers. This run is the hottest Spider-Man has been in years. Good for Marvel for creating some interest.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

6 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

are there 1:50 and 1:25 ASM #798 cover variants too? :wishluck:

There are 4 covers (non-incentive open order variants), and a 1:100 virgin cover of the main Ross Cover A. I have ASM on my pull list, and picked up an extra copy of the Young Guns cover (which I liked the best), but I didn't go crazy - given what I imagine is a big print run given anticipation for this 1st appearance, don't think this will hold that much value unless the Red Goblin becomes a big villain going forward. Guess we'll see what happens in 799 / 800 - some speculation that Red Goblin kills MJ in #800, so I guess there's always a chance Marvel keeps Red Goblin around...

3 minutes ago, FN-2199 said:

(shrug)

Yah, definitely JJJ seems more likely given the story line thus far. Did read some speculation it could be a head-fake and Slott goes out with a bang, haha. I agree MJ is unlikely...

When the 1st appearance of the Red Goblin in #798 reads

Spoiler

"the Carnage symbiote"

"Thats Norman Osborn in the Carnage symbiote"

It makes a much stronger argument for issue #795 to be the 1st appearance but it also sold Marvel a LOT more comics by stating it was #798. Marketing almost always wins. 

1 hour ago, kimik said:

Which issue is the key one will be fun to figure out.

ASM #795 2nd print cover with Norm Osborne and symbiote? My LCS had the 798 virgin priced at $100. The Alex Ross cover for ASM #799 seems much more dynamic and bright Red Goblin.