• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So what issue is the real 1st app of Red Goblin?
2 2

378 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, tv horror said:

I just hope that they will work on the character of the Goblin and make him a real menace once more or I'll see RED!.

He died over 40 years ago.2c

Some creativity and new character creation would be nice.

I'm not trying to argue with anyone, just try to follow my logic and see if there is anything wrong with it:

So from what I understand Marvel stated 798 is the first app so they could sell more issues. CGC labels first appearances from what the publisher describes as first appearances. In the collecting world the label on the slab = first appearance (See IH 180 vs 181 and the whole Good Morty thing).

It sounds to me like CGC will be placing the 1st appearance designation on 798 because that's what Marvel put out. That should settle the debate.  

I gotta admit I got quite a chuckle from Spider-man's reaction when he sees the Red Goblin for the first time.
I like the change in his abilities as well. This villain's a hit and 798 is a keeper. I wish I would have ordered
more now especially after reading the issue its well done.

What's interesting is the variants of 798 are kinda pricing themselves out of the demand. I think the main core issue
will be a better ROI unless you got the variants cheap when they first came out.

Edited by fastballspecial

Went to Silicon Valley Comicon yesterday. Decided to pick up a copy of ASM #798. The dealer...a long time dealer in new comics...started going on about how I should buy several more copies, and that in a year it would be a $25 book, and in 5 years, it will be $50.

I laughed to myself, knowing the truth of the repetitive nature of history. 

Remember: this is a DEALER. He wants to SELL comics to people. When a DEALER, with a vested interest in selling those comics is telling you to buy, that's when you know you should run as fast as you can in the other direction.

I took my single copy, said thanks, and moved on. 

Maybe this is the exception, but I doubt it.

1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Went to Silicon Valley Comicon yesterday. Decided to pick up a copy of ASM #798. The dealer...a long time dealer in new comics...started going on about how I should buy several more copies, and that in a year it would be a $25 book, and in 5 years, it will be $50.

Remember: this is a DEALER. He wants to SELL comics to people. When a DEALER, with a vested interest in selling those comics is telling you to buy, that's when you know you should run as fast as you can in the other direction.

9.8 ross virgins are selling for 600+ if red goblin is continued to be used then dealer might be right

6 minutes ago, williamblood said:
1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

9.8 ross virgins are selling for 600+ if red goblin is continued to be used then dealer might be right

The one has nothing to do with the other. How much is ASM #667 worth? Now how much is the ASM #667 1:100 worth?

3 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

The one has nothing to do with the other. How much is ASM #667 worth? Now how much is the ASM #667 1:100 worth?

You're right. Those two ASM #667 have nothing to do with each other. It's not of value because of the content.

Where as, #798 is.

Edited by ygogolak

4 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I'm of two minds.  In a vacuum, this would be a one-off, throwaway concept.  Norman uses the Carnage symbiote for his purposes, and ultimately the symbiote reverts to being property of Cletus Kasady.  In a case like that, this would probably be a flash in the pan.

Lately, though, Marvel has shown a fluidity in jumping on hot concepts.  If they decide to roll with this like they did with Weapon H, it may be a more open ended outcome. 2c

1 hour ago, 500Club said:

I'm of two minds.  In a vacuum, this would be a one-off, throwaway concept.  Norman uses the Carnage symbiote for his purposes, and ultimately the symbiote reverts to being property of Cletus Kasady.  In a case like that, this would probably be a flash in the pan.

Lately, though, Marvel has shown a fluidity in jumping on hot concepts.  If they decide to roll with this like they did with Weapon H, it may be a more open ended outcome. 2c

Agreed. I would not be surprised if they do a Red Goblin mini in short order similar to the treatment that Cosmic Ghost Rider is getting. They need to cash in while the market is hot.

I haven't read any of the issues recently, but if the Red Goblin is characterized as being a humongous threat, then almost certainly he won't stick around, because you can't maintain that level of intensity indefinitely. More likely Marvel will look to other places where they can mash up villains to introduce a new character. More symbiotes blending with other villains, perhaps?

It's my understanding that symbiotes convey a certain level of a healing factor to their hosts. It would be interesting (but probably hugely disappointing to the average reader) if that healing factor ended up curing Osborn's mental illness, to the point where he rebelled against the symbiote.

11 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

You should have asked how many he's keeping to sell at $50 in 5 years