• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So what issue is the real 1st app of Red Goblin?
2 2

378 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, williamblood said:

and has been dropping in price since no 1st appearance in 797

But its still higher value than the incentive variant for the same issue which was the point   

Typically these days the ratio  the incentive variants are low print because the main print number is also low so makes sense they attract value

In the case of 797 however  the print run is likely so high that 1:100 variants are more common than 1000 copy distributed variants .. 

I also don't see any great asset this cover has over others to make it worth so much more

Will see if Ross  virgin cover keeps the gap on more rare books,  but it's not on the top of my list 

Edited by MGH

26 minutes ago, MGH said:

Typically these days the ratio  the incentive variants are low print because the main print number is also low so makes sense they attract value

In the case of 797 however  the print run is likely so high that 1:100 variants are more common than 1000 copy distributed variants .. 

Nobody but Marvel and the printers knows how many were printed of either the regular books or the incentive variants.

1:X is an ORDERING number, not a PRINTING or DISTRIBUTION number. Those numbers don't have much to do with the regular covers sales numbers. The publishers print as many as they want, after orders are fulfilled. 

It is a mistake that many people make that "1:X" means "for every X copies of the regular, they printed 1 of the incentive." That's not the case, as has been demonstrated at much length over the last few years here. If a book has 50,000 reported sales from Diamond, that doesn't mean A. the publisher only printed 50,000 copies, or B. there are therefore 500 copies of the 1:100 printed.

Those numbers are unknown by anyone but the publishers and the printer(s), and are almost never released to the public.

26 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Nobody but Marvel and the printers knows how many were printed of either the regular books or the incentive variants.

1:X is an ORDERING number, not a PRINTING or DISTRIBUTION number. Those numbers don't have much to do with the regular covers sales numbers. The publishers print as many as they want, after orders are fulfilled. 

It is a mistake that many people make that "1:X" means "for every X copies of the regular, they printed 1 of the incentive." That's not the case, as has been demonstrated at much length over the last few years here. If a book has 50,000 reported sales from Diamond, that doesn't mean A. the publisher only printed 50,000 copies, or B. there are therefore 500 copies of the 1:100 printed.

Those numbers are unknown by anyone but the publishers and the printer(s), and are almost never released to the public.

True..  I never said otherwise.

But we can discern that there are likely a lot of the 798  ross virgins floating around because there is little argument a lot of standard 798 were ordered and therefore printed. 

44 minutes ago, MGH said:

True..  I never said otherwise.

But we can discern that there are likely a lot of the 798  ross virgins floating around because there is little argument a lot of standard 798 were ordered and therefore printed. 

Sure, so long as everyone knows that there's no way to add hard numbers to it.

I just saw someone on eBay advertise the C2E2 Rick & Morty variant as "500 print run." It wasn't a print run of 500. But that doesn't stop people from making numbers up out of thin air.

26 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Sure, so long as everyone knows that there's no way to add hard numbers to it.

I just saw someone on eBay advertise the C2E2 Rick & Morty variant as "500 print run." It wasn't a print run of 500. But that doesn't stop people from making numbers up out of thin air.

Yeah.. Ive known this since picking up my spawn black & white 1:50 when it was released  then trying to figure out how many there were in existence... (answer :  I never have) 

Back then could get those retailer incentives for cover  price. I gathered it wasn't popular after I bought it as it didn't move in value for 10 years and then it jumped.  

Think the opposite will happen for this 798 virgin Ross incentive. 

Edited by MGH

On 4/11/2018 at 10:55 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

You have this saved in a file somewhere, right? You don't actually type this out every time?

On 4/10/2018 at 11:55 AM, jsilverjanet said:

I saw a lot of Ross virgin at C2E2

one comic shop had a short box of them

:bump: it looks like many are now hitting the market

a book that was raw $120 less than 10 days ago is now $80..

1 hour ago, Juaks said:

I think there are too many copies of asm 798 in the mkt

I think it's panic mode and many not wanting to be left holding the bag, it all depends on how the character turns out. Maybe a good time to double down if you kind find copies cheap enough.