• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So what issue is the real 1st app of Red Goblin?
2 2

378 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, 500Club said:

Only if you think Uncanny X-Men 201 is a big deal. 2c

I don’t but other people do....

went to 2 lcs....one had nothing Spider-Man before 600 and other had issue 263...for 6 bucks. Score! And they said “oh we just put that issue back out there” not sure what he meant but glad he didn’t change the price on me or something

On 20/04/2018 at 6:41 PM, MGH said:

March report from comichron has asm 797 at 128,189 copies and noting marvel has stated over 300,000 orders for 800 so far..     Guessing 798,79 between these numbers

So there will be plenty of 1:100 / 1:50  /1:25 variants to spread around 

That is not a huge print run for #800. So basically, the 1:1000 will be a 1:300 to 1:500 variant? If something big enough happens that book will have decent legs. That is still a very small number floating around compared to the number of Spidey and/or variant collectors that will want it.

FWIW, the Dell Otto cover looks cool. Too bad they did not use it for the 1:1000 instead.

8 hours ago, kimik said:

That is not a huge print run for #800. So basically, the 1:1000 will be a 1:300 to 1:500 variant? If something big enough happens that book will have decent legs. That is still a very small number floating around compared to the number of Spidey and/or variant collectors that will want it.

FWIW, the Dell Otto cover looks cool. Too bad they did not use it for the 1:1000 instead.

1:1000 and 1:500 variants will still be less than 1000 books with those sales estimates. 

I've spent my budget on this run now.. Just getting a couple of the inhyuk Lee trade covers for 800.. Looks great and a limited distribution of 3000 for a milestone issue will do me fine :)

On 4/19/2018 at 1:25 PM, CKinTO said:

I think I saw on Twitter though that Nick Spencer (taking over ASM after Slott's run) had said he wants to put his own spin / take on ASM and may be wiping the slate clean - doesn't mean Red Goblin wouldn't stick around, but who knows

He did such a Cracker Jack job on Secret Empire.  Every writer should just have the Cosmic Cube in their back pocket, so they can bastardize a characters legacy, only to say...'just kidding'.    He's a tool! (no capital 'T' for him!)

12 hours ago, MGH said:
21 hours ago, kimik said:

1:1000 and 1:500 variants will still be less than 1000 books with those sales estimates. 

At the risk of being repetitious, that's not how incentive variants work. The number of variants printed has nothing to do with the number of copies an account must order to qualify.

They're not tied together. One is simply an ordering requirement, and has nothing to do with anything beyond that, other than establishing a minimum number that they MUST print. It does not have anything to do with a maximum number that they DO print. 

We know this because publishers who have such incentives have routinely sold and/or given away leftover incentives, far, far in excess of the numbers suggested by Diamond North Am sales numbers.

If Diamond reports to Comichron that they sold 56,928 copies in North Am of Comic X #14, and there's a 1:100 incentive variant of Comic X #14, that does not mean that they only printed  569 copies, plus a little extra for spoilage. Keeping those numbers secret is nothing more than a marketing gimmick.

In fact, even the store exclusives, which we DO know are specifically limited to 1,000, 3,000, etc, aren't printed exactly to those numbers.

On 4/24/2018 at 2:04 AM, RockMyAmadeus said:

At the risk of being repetitious, that's not how incentive variants work. The number of variants printed has nothing to do with the number of copies an account must order to qualify.

They're not tied together. One is simply an ordering requirement, and has nothing to do with anything beyond that, other than establishing a minimum number that they MUST print. It does not have anything to do with a maximum number that they DO print. 

We know this because publishers who have such incentives have routinely sold and/or given away leftover incentives, far, far in excess of the numbers suggested by Diamond North Am sales numbers.

If Diamond reports to Comichron that they sold 56,928 copies in North Am of Comic X #14, and there's a 1:100 incentive variant of Comic X #14, that does not mean that they only printed  569 copies, plus a little extra for spoilage. Keeping those numbers secret is nothing more than a marketing gimmick.

In fact, even the store exclusives, which we DO know are specifically limited to 1,000, 3,000, etc, aren't printed exactly to those numbers.

This is 100% correct. Furthermore, when it comes to Marvel store variants they have been known to double the print run for free.  Sometimes a store will advertise the print run at say 3,000 in good faith and then Marvel will let them know just before release that they will actually receive 6,000 for the same price.  I'm guessing stores don't always make this known to their customers. As RMA says, only the publisher and the printer know the true figures.  Also, neither of these parties has any interest in the secondary market and driving up post publication prices so none of this is likely to change any time soon.  

9 hours ago, Whizzer said:

This is 100% correct. Furthermore, when it comes to Marvel store variants they have been known to double the print run for free.  Sometimes a store will advertise the print run at say 3,000 in good faith and then Marvel will let them know just before release that they will actually receive 6,000 for the same price.  I'm guessing stores don't always make this known to their customers. As RMA says, only the publisher and the printer know the true figures.  Also, neither of these parties has any interest in the secondary market and driving up post publication prices so none of this is likely to change any time soon.  

Any proof of this?

I know that Marvel will include free copies of regular issues to retailers to pad their distribution numbers. I can't see whey they would spend money to print 3,000 additional comics for one store at no cost.

38 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Any proof of this?

I know that Marvel will include free copies of regular issues to retailers to pad their distribution numbers. I can't see whey they would spend money to print 3,000 additional comics for one store at no cost.

I've seen it happen with my own eyes on two occassions, both during the Marvel now era.

Oh, and store variants also qualify for ratio variants which can make them a  much more profitable venture.

Edited by Whizzer
added information

2 hours ago, Whizzer said:

I've seen it happen with my own eyes on two occassions, both during the Marvel now era.

Oh, and store variants also qualify for ratio variants which can make them a  much more profitable venture.

Once again, any proof? I'm not saying you're lying, but typing it here on an internet forum doesn't carry much weight.

11 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Once again, any proof? I'm not saying you're lying, but typing it here on an internet forum doesn't carry much weight.

Ha, I'm not particularly interested how 'much weight it carries'.  If you look at my posting history, I very rarely post here and do not have a history of hyperbole or controversy.  I'm merely contributing to the conversation.  You can believe what I have said or take it with a pinch of salt, that is a matter for you.  I don't feel comfortable naming names or giving away commercially sensitive information on a public forum.  I am merely trying to add weight to the argument originally made by RMA that to discuss print runs on here is a waste of time because so many things go on within the industry and tend to stay in the industry that guessing print runs becomes futile.   

On 4/22/2018 at 1:41 PM, jason4 said:

I don’t but other people do....

went to 2 lcs....one had nothing Spider-Man before 600 and other had issue 263...for 6 bucks. Score! And they said “oh we just put that issue back out there” not sure what he meant but glad he didn’t change the price on me or something

Any argument is worth covering nowadays . . . kinda like backing up your RB in FFB in case he gets injured. :grin:

8 hours ago, Whizzer said:

Ha, I'm not particularly interested how 'much weight it carries'.  If you look at my posting history, I very rarely post here and do not have a history of hyperbole or controversy.  I'm merely contributing to the conversation.  You can believe what I have said or take it with a pinch of salt, that is a matter for you.  I don't feel comfortable naming names or giving away commercially sensitive information on a public forum.  I am merely trying to add weight to the argument originally made by RMA that to discuss print runs on here is a waste of time because so many things go on within the industry and tend to stay in the industry that guessing print runs becomes futile.   

Marvel do something promotional??? Nah, never happens. lol

On 3/13/2018 at 11:24 AM, kimik said:

I wonder what the print run will end up being on this issue since Marvel only confirmed it a couple of hours before FOC? Based on recent numbers, ASM is selling at levels not that far off from the 1997 - 2001 lows..........

On 3/13/2018 at 1:13 PM, williamblood said:

im thinking 120k-140k max. alot of the east coast stores were closed before news really spread

On 3/14/2018 at 12:09 AM, kimik said:

Looking at the numbers for recent issues at around 55,000 copies, I think that may be high. 

On 3/14/2018 at 7:43 AM, ygogolak said:

Na, plenty of people jumped on this.

On 3/14/2018 at 9:38 AM, kimik said:

Definitely, but enough to double the print run to 100K, let alone 120K - 140K? I can't see that.

2 Amazing Spider-Man 798 $3.99 04/04/18 Marvel 233,235

Wow. Looks like I was way off. :$

It is funny. I have been selling ASM 798s locally for $10 apiece and having people tell me that they should be/will be worth more when they buy them. I don't know if the stores here caught on in time to up their orders. lol 

Since 798 is the "official" 1st RG appearance, what is your fav (not spec-wise)? I think mine is the 2nd print, just because it actually has the Red Goblin on it. I think Marvel threw everyone a curve-ball with the 797 1:1000. I guess 797 will be like 299 with the cameo. 

Edited by Not A Clone

my take on first appearences, key issues in red alert/go down swinging arcs  etc..

in spoilers for those yet to read..  ( come on already !  its great !  ) 

795.  Cameo / first appearance Osborne as carnage

796 Osborne as carnage

796 CX 1st appearance red goblin (on cover) 

797 cameo of red goblin, death of Phil urich

797 variants 2nd appearance of red goblin (on cover) 

798 1st full appearance of red goblin

799 cameo / 1st appearance goblin childe 

800. Death of flash Thomson. P Parker reunited with venom.  Death of carnage?  Cleetus cassidy persona takes hold of Norman Osborne 

Anything else? I personally had a blast reading this arc. 

Edited by MGH