• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to sell New Mutants 1-100 (plus annuals & graphic novel)

14 posts in this topic

I'm thinking of selling a New Mutants 1 - 100 collection I lucked into this summer and am looking for advice. It seems like a good time to sell with Deadpool 2 coming out soon and the New Mutants TV show. I also have the Graphic Novel, all annuals and the Fallen Angel miniseries. Everything is Near Mint

Graphic Novel 9.0?

NM 87 8.5-9.0

NM 98 8.5-9.0

The question is how do I go about selling all of this? Should I list the key issues on ebay separately and sell the rest non-key issues as one big lot? Should I get some key issues CGC Graded before selling or are they not a high enough grade to make it worth it? Would a press be worth the cost for NM 98? All the comics looks to be in that 8.5-9.0 range. White pages and in perfect shape except some spine ticks. Someone looking for the whole series would be very happy with them.

Should I list it all as one lot? 

I've never sold comics before so I'm not quite sure what the best route is here. 

Edited by Shawnismaximus

4 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

Separately sell the keys and sell the rest as one lot 

Agreed.

Although if the two keys are closer to 8.5 than 9.0, than they could be used to juice the price of the entire lot if they were included.  That's what I ended up doing with mine, as my #87 had a 1/4" corner crease on the top right.  I ended up including that in the whole lot of 1-100 (minus 98) and did all right.  This was right when Cable was teased at the end of the Deadpool movie, so I'm sure the timing benefited me there as well.

Try E-bay as a set first and then break it up since it's nice to get them all gone in one shot.  If you can get $700 for the set (looks possible) then that's about $250 for the #98, $150 of the #87 and $300 for the rest.  The $700 price tag may hit some resistance but why not give it a shot for a few months since the movie is next year.

I wouldn't press the 98, I don't like the spine corners.  Let someone else take the risk.

All one shot would be the way to go.  Without a reliable place to sell, you're going to be putting in too much work trying to squeeze $5-10 out of Legion, Magma, Demon Bear, Warpath, and the like.

Edited by FineCollector

2 hours ago, speedcake said:

I assume the Graphic Novel is first print?

Yep it's first print. So what I'm thinking after reading the advice from you guys is I should sell the larger keys separately (NM 87, 98, Graphic Novel) and sell the rest as one big lot (including NM 25, Annual 2 ect.). 

44 minutes ago, Shawnismaximus said:

Yep it's first print. So what I'm thinking after reading the advice from you guys is I should sell the larger keys separately (NM 87, 98, Graphic Novel) and sell the rest as one big lot (including NM 25, Annual 2 ect.). 

Not really a clear cut "winner" in terms of selling this batch of books.  There is an ease in selling them as a set but you do typically do better selling the keys for full price and having to wait a bit to sell off the rest.  You could ask 10 people and half would go one way and the rest the other.  Let us know how it goes.

17 hours ago, Shawnismaximus said:

I'm thinking of selling a New Mutants 1 - 100 collection I lucked into this summer and am looking for advice. It seems like a good time to sell with Deadpool 2 coming out soon and the New Mutants TV show. I also have the Graphic Novel, all annuals and the Fallen Angel miniseries. Everything is Near Mint

Graphic Novel 9.0?

NM 87 8.5-9.0

NM 98 8.5-9.0

The question is how do I go about selling all of this? Should I list the key issues on ebay separately and sell the rest non-key issues as one big lot? Should I get some key issues CGC Graded before selling or are they not a high enough grade to make it worth it? Would a press be worth the cost for NM 98? All the comics looks to be in that 8.5-9.0 range. White pages and in perfect shape except some spine ticks. Someone looking for the whole series would be very happy with them.

Should I list it all as one lot? 

I've never sold comics before so I'm not quite sure what the best route is here. 

No one is looking for the whole series. If you want them all gone, put them on eBay with a $599.99 BIN and you can see if they pop.

If you sell the keys separately, you're going to end up with about 70 issues of drekky New Mutants that you will not be able to do anything with ever. Let someone buy them all and take the off of your hends.

11 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

No one is looking for the whole series. If you want them all gone, put them on eBay with a $599.99 BIN and you can see if they pop.

If you sell the keys separately, you're going to end up with about 70 issues of drekky New Mutants that you will not be able to do anything with ever. Let someone buy them all and take the off of your hends.

I actually don't mind being stuck with the 'drek' if I can't sell them, so that's not a concern. I just bought a few collections over the summer intending to sell some stuff and make my money back. Right now seems like a good time to sell with Deadpool 2 coming out soon. I just need to sell enough comics that I can break even from purchasing those collections this summer.