• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox 's SILVER SURFER: THE MOVIE (TBD)
1 1

30 posts in this topic

Will Disney Disrupt Fox's X-Men Movie Mega-Plans?

Silver_surfer.jpg

Execs say they're "going 100 miles per hour" on a slew of spin-off projects with Silver Surfer and Doctor Doom, but privately, many fret over whether their films will be affected by merger plans with a squeaky-clean company.

Twentieth Century Fox is developing more new X-Men film properties than ever. But will these projects still fit at the studio after Disney's $52.4 billion mega-merger closes?

When Fox film execs hired Brian Michael Bendis on Feb. 12 to pen an X-Men project for Deadpool director Tim Miller, it signaled to the town that the studio is moving full steam ahead on its Marvel properties.

“It does not affect this project in any way, shape or form is what I was told,” says Bendis of the looming merger. "At least at the moment, it's certainly decisions over my pay-grade if it ends up doing so."

Fox has several other "secret" projects in development, including a Silver Surfer stand-alone feature that is being written by comics creator Brian K. Vaughn. "We are going 100 miles per hour," says one executive involved.

But while the Disney-Fox deal, unveiled Dec. 14, had many rejoicing that Fox's Marvel characters soon would be reunited and integrated with their colleagues at Disney-owned Marvel Studios, execs, filmmakers and dealmakers now are thinking about what will happen to certain characters given Disney's aversion to R-rated superhero movies that Fox has championed, like Deadpool ($783 million worldwide gross) and Logan ($616 million).

Well, it's about time if true.

Exclusive: The GWW has heard that Marvel Studios is actively developing a Silver Surfer movie.

Silver Surfer, AKA Norrin Radd, was created by Jack Kirby and first appeared in Fantastic Four #48 in 1966. His appearance marked the introduction of the Galactus mythos, with Silver Surfer as one of his Heralds. He then went on to become a major part of the Marvel universe, assisting the Fantastic Four, Thor, the Guardians of the Galaxy, and joining the original Defenders. His first and only live-action appearance was in 2007’s ‘Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer,’ played by Doug Jones and voiced by Laurence Fishburne.

Back in 2018, Adam McKay expressed strong interest in helming a Silver Surfer solo film:

“Silver Surfer is the one I want to do, man. I would do anything to do Silver Surfer because, visually, you could do what the Wachowskis did with Speed Racer with the Silver Surfer,” McKay said. “At the same time, there’s a great emotional story in there, man, where Norrin Radd [Silver Surfer] has to make the choice to save his planet. That would be the one, but I think Fox owns the rights … .”

Now the rights are back with Marvel following Disney’s purchase of Fox, and it’s certainly possible that Kevin Feige has tapped Adam McKay to oversee the development of this movie. McKay is credited with co-writing the first ‘Ant-Man’ and was being looked at to direct it after Edgar Wright exited from the project, before Peyton Reed took over. He also wrote and directed the Oscar-nominated ‘The Big Short’ and ‘Vice,’ as well as the ‘Anchorman’ films, ‘Step Brothers,’ and ‘The Other Guys.’

On 9/14/2019 at 3:11 PM, Bosco685 said:

Well, it's about time if true.

I'm as much a Silver Surfer fan as anybody and own his key comics and all, but I think Norrin Radd might be a little overrated as a character who can hold his own solo adventure. Apart from Norrin Radd's identity on Zenn La, the first Herald of Galactus is a bit of a blank slate who has had trouble maintaining his own comic book or animated series. And he didn't really make much of a splash in the second Fox FF movie.

In a live-action movie, unless the filmmakers really focus on Norrin's life before he became the Herald, there would be nothing for regular mainstream movie audiences to latch onto with the Surfer, as he's written in the comics. He has no eyeballs, no emotion, and he's all silver and reflective, which could make it difficult to base an entire movie around that (although Stan Lee made did make him over-emotional to mankind's troubles in the 1968 series). 

I hate to say it, but I think the Surfer may be better served as a supporting character in the MCU. Maybe he could get a Disney Plus show that could focus on his life on Zenn La maybe. With that, I think this story from OmegaUnderground is bogus.

14 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I'm as much a Silver Surfer fan as anybody and own his key comics and all, but I think Norrin Radd might be a little overrated as a character who can hold his own solo adventure. Apart from Norrin Radd's identity on Zenn La, the first Herald of Galactus is a bit of a blank slate who has had trouble maintaining his own comic book or animated series. And he didn't really make much of a splash in the second Fox FF movie.

In a live-action movie, unless the filmmakers really focus on Norrin's life before he became the Herald, there would be nothing for regular mainstream movie audiences to latch onto with the Surfer, as he's written in the comics. He has no eyeballs, no emotion, and he's all silver and reflective, which could make it difficult to base an entire movie around that (although Stan Lee made did make him over-emotional to mankind's troubles in the 1968 series). 

I hate to say it, but I think the Surfer may be better served as a supporting character in the MCU. Maybe he could get a Disney Plus show that could focus on his life on Zenn La maybe. With that, I think this story from OmegaUnderground is bogus.

You may want to watch that Emergency Awesome video where he captures the interviews with Kevin Feige and later Adam McKay about a possible Silver Surfer film.

Or, we could wait for I'mTheBiggestMCUFanEverLuvU3000 to post something. :popcorn:

9 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Given that they've proven the Hulk can't really carry his own movie but works better as a supporting character -- and the Hulk has hella' more charisma and, well -- personality, than the Surfer -- I'm inclined to agree.

I don't know. That Silver Surfer Vol. 2 run had 156 issues (including 9 annuals) dedicated to the character. Along with mini stories like 'Escape...To Terror' and 'Parable' to reference. There could be some interesting stories there.

Though the Infinity Gauntlet content would probably be rehashing the Infinity Saga events.

I don't generally have much enthusiasm for origin stories but I really think this could work well as a movie. The Watcher, Galactus, Norin Radd, Zenn La et all, the self sacrifice to save your family and your planet is more than enough to create a compelling character/s and narrative especially given the inherent dichotomy of a character that is - at least initially - willing to feed other worlds to Galactus to save his own. Given the right sensitivity it could be awesome. I would be leery of Marvel actually using Galactus so early on for whatever reasons and to take this to the dark places that it could go, but certainly the potential is there.

On 9/22/2019 at 12:08 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

See that is exactly how I feel about Captain Marvel.  

I had no idea about the earlier animated and live concepts before Fantastic Four 2.

Television

• The Surfer's first animated appearance was in Hanna-Barbera's Fantastic Four animated series (which closely followed the Marvel comic story), voiced by Vic Perrin.
  • He also made several appearances in the 1994 version of the animated series (that was part of The Marvel Action Hour), voiced by Robin Sachs in the first season, then Edward Albert in the last episode of the second. This series stayed true to the original comic book story, recounting Surfer and Galactus' coming to Earth in a two-part episode as well as Doctor Doom's theft of the Surfer's powers.
  • In 1998, the Surfer starred in a solo animated series on Fox, voiced by Paul Essiembre. Blending cel and computer animation, this series was rendered in the style of Surfer creator Jack Kirby. Further adventures included appearances by many characters from Marvel's "cosmic" stable, including Thanos, Uatu the Watcher, Ego the Living Planet, Mentor, Drax the Destroyer, Pip the Troll, Nebula, and the Kree and Skrull empires. Despite solid ratings, it was canceled after one season of 13 episodes due to Marvel Comics' bankruptcy at the time.
  • The Silver Surfer comic book also appeared in an episode of Heroes Season 1.
  • Silver Surfer appears in The Super Hero Squad Show, voiced by Mikey Kelley. This version of the character has a literal "surfer dude" accent, although later episodes place him under the influence of the Infinity Gems and Sword and he develops a Dark Surfer persona. This persona takes control of the Surfer in the second half of Season 2. As the Dark Surfer, he steals the Infinity Gauntlet from Thanos, seals him up in the Soul Gem, and combines its power with that of the first season's powerful item of focus, the Infinity Sword. Then he uses the power of both items to destroy two-thirds of the universe, separate the members of the Squad across the multiverse, and send Earth farther away from the Sun, so the planet could freeze to death. Once the Squad reunites, they make it their goal to stop the Dark Surfer. In the final episode, his Dark Surfer persona is destroyed and he is purified when his powerful items are shattered into numerous Infinity Fractals and spread across the universe, all while repairing the damage the Dark Surfer caused. Back to normal, the Silver Surfer apologizes for his behavior as the Dark Surfer and he promises to rejoin the Squad, after he pays his debt.
  • Silver Surfer appears in the Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H. episode "Fear Itself", voiced by Brent Spiner.[citation needed] There is a reference by Hulk that Silver Surfer is an old friend of his. The Agents of S.M.A.S.H. encounter Silver Surfer where he is fighting Null and is accidentally knocked out by the Agents of S.M.A.S.H. When Silver Surfer regains consciousness, he helps the Agents of S.M.A.S.H. fight the Null. After Null is defeated, Silver Surfer closes the wormhole to Earth from the other side where he vows to the Agents of S.M.A.S.H. that he will tell all of Earth about their heroics against Null.

Films

• In the 1983 film Breathless, Jesse Lujack (Richard Gere) is a drifter in Las Vegas, obsessed with the Silver Surfer, the rock and roll music of Jerry Lee Lewis and Monica Poiccard (Valérie Kaprisky), a UCLA architecture undergraduate whom he knows only from a weekend fling in Vegas. The Silver Surfer was the primary inspiration for Lujack's strong sense of love, loyalty, identity, free-spirit, and self-determinism at all costs, even to the point of self-destruction.
  • In 1989, Erik Fleming, then a film student from the USC School of Cinematic Arts, and Robert Letterman approached Marvel Studios and Constantin Film's producer Bernd Eichinger to ask permission to make a short film featuring the Silver Surfer, as a proof of concept for the use of CGI in creating a realistic silver coloured human figure. Supervised by Steven Robiner, this 5-minute short film, completed in 1991, not long after the release of Terminator 2: Judgment Day, that featured a similarly rendered character, and premiered at First Look USC Film Festival on September 21, 1993, led to significant interest from major studios in a feature-length Silver Surfer project. Andrew Kevin Walker wrote a -script for 20th Century Fox in 2000, but nothing ever came of it.
  • The Silver Surfer made his film debut in 20th Century Fox's Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer, the sequel to the 2005 film Fantastic Four. Doug Jones played the Surfer on set, and a computer simulation enhanced the reflective look of his prosthetics. Laurence Fishburne provided the character's voice. The same year, 20th Century Fox hired J. Michael Straczynski to write the screenplay for a spin-off film. Straczynski said his -script was a sequel, but would also delve into the Surfer's origins. In mid-2009, Straczynski expressed doubts that spin-off would be produced. In this continuity, the Surfer's origins and powers are similar to those of his comic-book incarnation, in that he agrees to become Galactus' herald in return for the safety of his home world and the woman he loved. Also, if the Surfer is separated from his board, he becomes weaker; in addition, the board also serves as a beacon for Galactus.
  • In February 2018, 20th Century Fox announced that a Silver Surfer solo film was in development with writer Brian K. Vaughan working on a -script. Disney acquired 20th Century Fox in March 2019, meaning that the film rights to the Silver Surfer are now with Marvel Studios. In September 2019, The GWW reported that the studio is now developing the solo movie.

Here's the 1998 animated series first 3 of 13 episodes.

EPISODE 1

EPISODE 2

EPISODE 3

1 hour ago, media_junkie said:

See that is exactly how I feel about Captain Marvel.  

You say that because you just don't like Captain Marvel and it's probably more of a political anti-feminist thing for you. I'm saying what I said about the Surfer because of the nature of the character and the ability to tell a compelling human story that appeals to non-comic book reading moviegoers. It's less about the Surfer's publication and sales history and more about the fact that he's a space-going philosopher with silver reflective skin and no eyeballs who general audiences may not be able to identify with or find compelling. Sure, Carol Danvers or the Guardians of the Galaxy or Ant-Man don't have much of a publication history but they are all still relatable characters with human personalities who can laugh and cry and get angry. Silver Surfer, by his nature, doesn't do that. And that could be problematic for making a movie that appeals to people who don't know who the Silver Surfer is to begin with.

13 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

You say that because you just don't like Captain Marvel and it's probably more of a political anti-feminist thing for you

:roflmao:

I thought it was the hair rollers she used without the Captain Marvel symbols.

On the other hand, there is a history of successful movies featuring blank slate aliens/drone-type characters, like the Surfer, who learn or remember what it is to be human (which is what the Surfer learns from Alicia Masters in Fantastic Four #50, afterwhich he turns on Galactus). Terminator 2: Judgement Day and Robocop are two examples. Heck, even Captain Marvel featured that storyline in a way (the filmmakers did say that Terminator 2 and Robocop were influences on the movie). I think key to that success is having very human supporting characters.

But whether we eventually get a Norrin Radd movie or Disney-Plus how or not, I still think pre-production on a Surfer live action is a bogus story. We're not even done with Phase Four yet and pre-production on FF will surely begin before they even start to consider a Surfer project.

35 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

You say that because you just don't like Captain Marvel and it's probably more of a political anti-feminist thing for you. I'm saying what I said about the Surfer because of the nature of the character and the ability to tell a compelling human story that appeals to non-comic book reading moviegoers. It's less about the Surfer's publication and sales history and more about the fact that he's a space-going philosopher with silver reflective skin and no eyeballs who general audiences may not be able to identify with or find compelling. Sure, Carol Danvers or the Guardians of the Galaxy or Ant-Man don't have much of a publication history but they are all still relatable characters with human personalities who can laugh and cry and get angry. Silver Surfer, by his nature, doesn't do that. And that could be problematic for making a movie that appeals to people who don't know who the Silver Surfer is to begin with.

Eh,  believe what you want to believe.  I have her first comic appearance, a complete run of her 1st series of comics, multiple statues of her that I display in my comic room ( all of which I purchased years before a movie was even thought about being made of her).  However the fact that I feel the Silver Surfer is a more interesting character and would IMO be a more interesting film makes me a "political anti-feminist".