• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage May Auction
2 2

33 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, vodou said:

That's DocV, Dr. Michael J. Vassallo.

Maneely art is quite rare, dead at 32.

https://www.lambiek.net/artists/m/maneely_joe.htm

There's a theory out there that if Maneely hadn't met tragedy, Stan would not have needed Jack and The King of Comics would be Joe Maneely.

Maneely was definitely one of the highest quality Atlas artists and would most likely be a big name today if he'd been alive during the Silver Age.  It's obviously hard to say if he would have displaced any of the big SA names.  I'd use Everett as an example - one of the best Atlas artists and certainly a very good SA artist, but not a huge SA name.

Mike

8 hours ago, Bronty said:

IMO when you blow it up on heritage's site, it doesn't look as good and you can see the date (1990) in the work, if you know what I mean.    Past prime.    Take a look.

That said, its subject matter really closely associated with him so I'm sure it will do well anyways.

Heresy, but I agree completely. My first reaction when blowing it up was, hmmmm. Then I went to ATEC to compare.

On 2/28/2018 at 9:18 PM, Monkeyman said:

Maneely was definitely one of the highest quality Atlas artists and would most likely be a big name today if he'd been alive during the Silver Age.  It's obviously hard to say if he would have displaced any of the big SA names.  I'd use Everett as an example - one of the best Atlas artists and certainly a very good SA artist, but not a huge SA name.

Everett was evidently hitting the bottle pretty hard in the 1960s (or he was always hitting it hard but it started to affect him) and the quality and quantity of his work for Marvel was rarely at the same level as his work for Atlas.  Maneely was evidently quite a drinker and it's thought that alcohol was partly to blame for his accidental death.  Both Maneely and Everett needed to evolve their styles to compete. 

Kirby was very successful in the 60s but with a style (and inkers) was attuned to that time period.

5 hours ago, adamstrange said:

Everett was evidently hitting the bottle pretty hard in the 1960s (or he was always hitting it hard but it started to affect him) and the quality and quantity of his work for Marvel was rarely at the same level as his work for Atlas.  Maneely was evidently quite a drinker and it's thought that alcohol was partly to blame for his accidental death.  Both Maneely and Everett needed to evolve their styles to compete. 

Kirby was very successful in the 60s but with a style (and inkers) was attuned to that time period.

There was a great Everett interview with one of his daughters in Alter Ego magazine and I believe Bill was out of comics, working out of Massachusetts for a greeting card Company for much of the 1960s.

Stan reached out to Bill to work on DD#1, but between Bill's regular job, and having to work until the late hours of the night,  the additional strain of the DD #1 deadline was too much and he bowed out after the first issue.

2 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

There was a great Everett interview with one of his daughters in Alter Ego magazine and I believe Bill was out of comics, working out of Massachusetts for a greeting card Company for much of the 1960s.

Stan reached out to Bill to work on DD#1, but between Bill's regular job, and having to work until the late hours of the night,  the additional strain of the DD #1 deadline was too much and he bowed out after the first issue.

Fascinating.  Always wondered why he only did the first issue.  I take it that he never returned to Daredevil?

7 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

This is taken from Wikipedia:

In an interview conducted by Marvel writer-editor and Everett's one-time roommate Roy Thomas, in what the latter recalled as either "late 1969 or in 1970," Everett said of Daredevil's creation five years earlier:

I must have called Stan, had some contact with him, I don't know why. I know we tried to do it on the phone. I know he had this idea for Daredevil; he thought he had an idea. . . . With a long-distance phone call, it just wasn't coming out right, so I said, 'All right, I'll come down this weekend or something. I'll take a day off [from his job as art director of Eton Paper Corporation in Massachusetts] and come down to New York'. . . . I did the one issue, but I found that I couldn't do it and handle my job, because it was a managerial job; I didn't get paid overtime but I was on an annual salary, so my time was not my own. I was putting in 14 or 15 hours a day at the plant and then to come home and try to do comics at night was just too much. And I didn't make deadlines – I just couldn't make them – so I just did the one issue and didn't do any more.

ASM 61 cover is one my favorites, with or without the small Spidey image and what appears to be some Don Heck stylings.  It may be hard to pinpoint exactly who did which pencil or brush stroke here as it was firmly in the period where Romita was running a room of artists churning out multiple spidey titles;  I think for this issue "Richard" Ayers even lent a hand.   All of that makes it no less valuable to me, and even a bit more interesting.   But I imagine that will not stop the speculation.   First Gwen cover puts it in uncharted waters.    

Edited by bluechip

On 2018-03-02 at 7:31 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Such a shame.  A long run of Everett inking Everett on this title would have been absolutely epic.

10 hours ago, Bill C said:

I think I saw the Adams Batman/Robin Stacked cards cover in this one. Not a huge Adams fan (I'll avoid the rotten fruit thrown my way!) but that cover is pretty sentimental. 

I've my eye on that piece too.  The full splash page to the book went for "only" 13K.  Do you think the cover will double that ?

8 hours ago, Catwoman_Fan said:

I've my eye on that piece too.  The full splash page to the book went for "only" 13K.  Do you think the cover will double that ?

That sounds about right, maybe 2.5. They put too many of the best pieces from the book in that one auction and I think it depressed prices a little.