• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A significant piece of comic book history is saved...
1 1

42 posts in this topic

Wow, @mycomicshop really stepped up big to save this stash :golfclap:

So many of these supporting publications get discarded over the years, but folks that came in after the dawn of the internet don't realize how critical publications like these were to the hobby back then. They're a great "concrete" record of the times in a hobby where much emphasis is placed on anecdotal evidence. I'll definitely have to keep an eye out to see when they start getting listed, might pick up a few random issues just for reference and reminiscing.

6 minutes ago, mysterio said:

I loved getting the CBG in the mail, and read every one front to back. Loved the ads (bought several books through them that I still have) and loved “But I Digress...” in the back. :cloud9:

Same here.  And then I used he old ones for filler in my long boxes.

What a great story! I used to get so excited when CBG would show up in the mail. So much great stuff to dig through, especially the ads in the back.

CBG was based in Iola, Wisconsin. I lived in Barrington, Illinois so would get my copies through the mail faster than people on the East Coast. Yes. That made a difference in selling stuff.

BTW the biggest miss in my collecting life came from a CBG ad. Someone sold the cover to X-Men 94 for $200 in 1978(9?) through a CBG ad. I called them and it had just sold. Has it ever come back on the market?

16 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

BTW the biggest miss in my collecting life came from a CBG ad. Someone sold the cover to X-Men 94 for $200 in 1978(9?) through a CBG ad. I called them and it had just sold. Has it ever come back on the market?

:whatthe:

The issues will take some time to process, but eventually every Krause issue will be available from MyComicShop in some depth -- something which was never the case for anything but the most recent issues while the magazine was running. This is important for the history of the business, as no issues before 2002 were ever digitized, nor can they ever legally be. Rights issues prevent that.

With file copies of every issue now available, this is a rare opportunity to get these scanned once and for all. Who holds copyright for the pre-2002 issues to prevent them from being digitized? 

39 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

CBG was based in Iola, Wisconsin. I lived in Barrington, Illinois so would get my copies through the mail faster than people on the East Coast. Yes. That made a difference in selling stuff.

Not publicly (I believe), but @romitaman told a story in the Original Art section of a meeting of OA collectors where the 94 cover owner had gotten a then-unheard of offer for $4000 (IIRC) and everyone thought that was a crazy-high offer. I believe late 80's/early 90's was the time frame.

Edited by Hekla
link to romitaman

It's a bummer they cannot digitize the pre-2002 issues. I guess I could always scan mine, but that will be after I get my comic collection scanned. As for the Buyer's Guide. I pretty much have every issue from 1984 until they ceased publication, maybe missing two or three issues. I just need to locate them all and get them organized as I have some in a spare room, the attic, and the garage..etc..

Went right for But I Digress, then to the other columns, then to the articles. Last was the ads.

On a side note ... I hated throwing them away, but a weekly paper like that really adds up fast. The pile of old CBGs in the corner got pretty big.