• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A significant piece of comic book history is saved...
1 1

42 posts in this topic

I've never read one of these as it was during my time away from collecting. I get the importance though as I still covet the one copy of Robert Bell's list I hung on to from the 70's--  though I can imagine this magazine was far more in depth and entertaining.

It would be neat to have that resource in any event for historical reasons alone.

The Xmen 94 cover was owned by a good guy named ED HODDER......we used to have very big comic art gatherings in Cleveland throughout the early 90s through about 2002 and then we stopped having them as some of the older guys passed on. Myself, Ethan Roberts, Bill Thailing, Sam George, Gary Dumm. Jim Damico,  Julius Dratwa, and Andy Bradish were the main guys.....and others would always come to them sporadically. I still remember around 1994 Ed HODDER came to one of our meetings and he brought the X-men 94 cover....he said someone had just offered him15k cash for it and we all screamed in unison.....SELL SELL SELL!!!!  And he sold it. lol  To take that amount of 15k into consideration.....that was the equivalent of 10-15 pre 100 asm covers. I bought the asm 86 (Black Widow) cover for 1000 dollars in 1994 at the Philadelphia comic fest show.  I started selling and trading off all of my pre 100 John Romita asm covers in 1997 when the prices started hitting 5k as I felt that 5k was the highest price anyone would ever pay for a Romita asm cover... obviously I was very wrong with that....but I turned all those covers into more Romita asm interiors and splashes I always cherished more than covers. So it all worked out.

Edited by romitaman

4 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

CBG was based in Iola, Wisconsin. I lived in Barrington, Illinois so would get my copies through the mail faster than people on the East Coast. Yes. That made a difference in selling stuff.

BTW the biggest miss in my collecting life came from a CBG ad. Someone sold the cover to X-Men 94 for $200 in 1978(9?) through a CBG ad. I called them and it had just sold. Has it ever come back on the market?

I live in Oshkosh, WI. Got mine the day after they came out which was handing for chasing books in the classifieds ahead of others.

1 hour ago, bronze johnny said:

Who could forget Mr. Silver Age?

I remember calling a seller about a book and asking him to describe the condition because there was no mention in in the ad. His response was "Nice."

Yep, the famous "Nice" grade. 

I bought stuff from Mark Wilson, Fantazia, everybody. I had a couple ads in the magazine when I was in high school` - holding checks to make sure they cleared.

Edited by FlyingDonut

5 hours ago, GM8 said:

CBG was a great resource back in the pre-internet days.  It was ebay and comic news for the entire country.  I got my Turtles #1 through an ad in the back!  Can't beat that!

I use to buy my Super Powers and Secret Wars action figures thru there.

Image result for secret wars electro action figure         Image result for super powers green arrow action figure

I subscribed to The Comics Buyers Guide at about the 6th issue. About the time ebay came out and the ads got thin, I quit. It was the highlight of the week when it came. I would pour through the ads and making those calls that usually ended with "sorry already sold". I lived on the West Coast so it was tough. I made many contacts though and often got some inside offers on new collections. Seems so funny now days mailing off payment in an envelope but it worked. It was a lot harder to get old books but thanks to TCBG, I managed to come up with stuff. Great articles and news as well. Really made you feel like a part of a "community". Good times!

10 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I subscribed to The Comics Buyers Guide at about the 6th issue. About the time ebay came out and the ads got thin, I quit. It was the highlight of the week when it came. I would pour through the ads and making those calls that usually ended with "sorry already sold". I lived on the West Coast so it was tough. I made many contacts though and often got some inside offers on new collections. Seems so funny now days mailing off payment in an envelope but it worked. It was a lot harder to get old books but thanks to TCBG, I managed to come up with stuff. Great articles and news as well. Really made you feel like a part of a "community". Good times!

Money orders and checks. Waiting weeks for them, than hoping the checks wouldn't bounce after receiving them.  It worked though.

16 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

I seem to recall a similar price guide ...SCD (sports collectors digest) was a weekly publication back in the baseball card heyday  of the 80's , i read it cover to cover for a couple years straight..

Image result for sports collectors digest

My dad got me a subscription to that as well.

Seeing those prices for those rookie Mickey Mantle cards was even eye opening back than .

I got the first issue of The Buyer's Guide or Comic Fandom at a NYC Comic Convention when Alan Light was giving away free copies to try to establish it's presence on the comic book scene. Prior to that, I subscribed to Rocket's Blast Comicollector from which I made many purchases when I was accumulating my collection.