• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Action Comics 1000 variants
1 1

444 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

:facepalm: isn't there a law against this?  I recalled some big legal fight years ago...unfair playing field.

It could be ad blockers that I have on Firefox. Maybe the seller is using a third party platform to list.

6 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

given raw prices are at 60-65 and unsigned 9.8 should only get like 300 max, and with people knowing cgc wont count defect there will be alot more on ebay soon

10 minutes ago, williamblood said:

given raw prices are at 60-65 and unsigned 9.8 should only get like 300 max, and with people knowing cgc wont count defect there will be alot more on ebay soon

For what it's worth, this particular one went for $123.50.  I'm guessing it was partially due to the slabbed book selling for $500+.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/-/123182931069?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l10137

On 6/19/2018 at 10:27 PM, williamblood said:

What does that mean for those without the defect do they get higher grades since it it still in better condition.  Or does this only matter now to those that don't want a screwed up corner

2 minutes ago, hipywolf said:

What does that mean for those without the defect do they get higher grades since it it still in better condition.  Or does this only matter now to those that don't want a screwed up corner

Yep - that is pretty much what it means.  People that are picky will seek out the perfect CGC 9.8s but the masses will probably just care about the number on the case.  Perfect copies will probably demand a small premium but I'd not expect as big a difference as would have been if CGC would have downgraded for the defect.

3 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Yep - that is pretty much what it means.  People that are picky will seek out the perfect CGC 9.8s but the masses will probably just care about the number on the case.  Perfect copies will probably demand a small premium but I'd not expect as big a difference as would have been if CGC would have downgraded for the defect.

This brings up a question about what are people's take on CGC's handling of such books?  Personally, I feel that all books should be judged equally.  Some books came through unscathed and rightfully deserve a 9.8 grade, whereas others have corner issues and should deserve a 9.6.  This wiggle room only seems to serve to water down the number of quality books out there.  To me it's not only unfair to any true 9.8 Action Comics #1000, but also unfair for any 9.6/9.8's of every other title out there.  I mean, I get that the circumstances are different, but I just feel like grading should be completely unbiased.

5 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

This brings up a question about what are people's take on CGC's handling of such books?  Personally, I feel that all books should be judged equally.  Some books came through unscathed and rightfully deserve a 9.8 grade, whereas others have corner issues and should deserve a 9.6.  This wiggle room only seems to serve to water down the number of quality books out there.  To me it's not only unfair to any true 9.8 Action Comics #1000, but also unfair for any 9.6/9.8's of every other title out there.  I mean, I get that the circumstances are different, but I just feel like grading should be completely unbiased.

if the only difference is the printing defect then give the defected 9.8 and the non defected 9.9. especially with this book that has such a low print run. and the majority had the defect

On 6/23/2018 at 11:48 AM, ExNihilo said:

The difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8 is the mood of the grader.  The difference between a 9.8 and a 9.9 or 10.0 is the relationship of the submitter to the company.

2 hours ago, BeholdersEye said:

The difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8 is the mood of the grader.  The difference between a 9.8 and a 9.9 or 10.0 is the relationship of the submitter to the company.

Does this mean I should start slipping in $20 bills with my submissions?  :whistle:

On 7/30/2018 at 5:43 PM, Dwitkin82 said:

Is there still demand for the Jim Lee Tour variants??

Or have these leveled out.....

seems steady at 80 raw and 300-350 9.8. although i expect the 9.8's to slowly drop around 250

Edited by williamblood