• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Action Comics 1000 variants
1 1

444 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Tnexus said:

If the new baddie turns into a big player, it'll be worth having a copy of this.

I haven't followed the story.  Is the potential there?  I look at The Batman Who Laughs as the most recent example.  His popularity seemed to grow quickly just as did the value of his 1st appearance.  Oh sorry..."1st" appearance.

#TeamMetal2

On 8/2/2018 at 3:18 PM, ExNihilo said:

I haven't followed the story.  Is the potential there?  I look at The Batman Who Laughs as the most recent example.  His popularity seemed to grow quickly just as did the value of his 1st appearance.  Oh sorry..."1st" appearance.

#TeamMetal2

Superman's villains are in general not as memorable as some other heroes. It sort of depends on how Bendis does I guess. I hope so at least!

20 hours ago, valiantman said:

I like this one:

Action1000Massafera.jpg

Yea those were the limited released variants....I think only like 250 or 500.....The Comic Mint exclusive.......raw ones are rare as they were all CBCS graded only, except for a few that the artist and writers had access too....

5 hours ago, Dwitkin82 said:

Yea those were the limited released variants....I think only like 250 or 500.....The Comic Mint exclusive.......raw ones are rare as they were all CBCS graded only, except for a few that the artist and writers had access too....

250 copies.

Technically, raw ones can't be rare... because if raw ones are rare people will just deslab theirs. :D

19 hours ago, valiantman said:

250 copies.

Technically, raw ones can't be rare... because if raw ones are rare people will just deslab theirs. :D

Well played......well played...so we can agree that the 250 makes them rare though...

1 minute ago, Dwitkin82 said:
19 hours ago, valiantman said:

250 copies.

Well played......well played...so we can agree that the 250 makes them rare though...

Sure, I'll agree with you.  But don't go near the Golden Age category with the idea that 250 makes anything rare.  Over there, 250 is a global supply that exceeds all demand until the end of time. :kidaround:

2 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Sure, I'll agree with you.  But don't go near the Golden Age category with the idea that 250 makes anything rare.  Over there, 250 is a global supply that exceeds all demand until the end of time. :kidaround:

I'm not qualified to hold any level of conversation in the GA/SA category......

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 12:05 PM, valiantman said:

Is it raw?  How did you get it? 

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 6:29 PM, williamblood said:

no its in case 9.8 cbcs, thought about cracking it to get reslabbed in cgc. or might just sell it

It's late here so I could be misunderstanding, but I think valiantman (or should credit go to dwitkin82?) is implying that the raw one is rare because it can be submitted to CGC for a blue label (or yellow upon future signing).  The 250 copies were all signed exclusives submitted to CBCS such that no yellow CGC labels exist.  The implied rarity is in a CGC label (which carries more value because it's a more trusted label) vs a CBCS label.  Were you to crack it and reslab it, you would get a green label (which would be more displeasing than a CBCS yellow as far as i'm concerned).

6 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

It's late here so I could be misunderstanding, but I think valiantman (or should credit go to dwitkin82?) is implying that the raw one is rare because it can be submitted to CGC for a blue label (or yellow upon future signing).  The 250 copies were all signed exclusives submitted to CBCS such that no yellow CGC labels exist.  The implied rarity is in a CGC label (which carries more value because it's a more trusted label) vs a CBCS label.  Were you to crack it and reslab it, you would get a green label (which would be more displeasing than a CBCS yellow as far as i'm concerned).

this ultimate was not signed, so any of the 250 could be cracked and made raw

36 minutes ago, williamblood said:
7 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

this ultimate was not signed, so any of the 250 could be cracked and made raw

I'll chime in... there were 250 graded by not-CGC and there were no extras from that limit (according to the label).  No numbering on the books, no signatures, just a numbering out of 250 on the slab label.  @Dwitkin82 said that there actually are some other copies, beyond the 250, which were available to artists/writers.  Since those are not included in the 250, they could been seen as "rare"... but since you can crack the slab on any of the 250 to get one just like it... raw is only "rare" in the sense that it's very unusual that any exist beyond the 250 slabbed.  Regardless, it's probably under 300 copies (just a guess).

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

I'll chime in... there were 250 graded by not-CGC and there were no extras from that limit (according to the label).  No numbering on the books, no signatures, just a numbering out of 250 on the slab label.  @Dwitkin82 said that there actually are some other copies, beyond the 250, which were available to artists/writers.  Since those are not included in the 250, they could been seen as "rare"... but since you can crack the slab on any of the 250 to get one just like it... raw is only "rare" in the sense that it's very unusual that any exist beyond the 250 slabbed.  Regardless, it's probably under 300 copies (just a guess).

ooooo.  my mistake.  I guess I was confusing it with another cover which was signed and exclusively slabbed by the other guys.

5 hours ago, valiantman said:

the tiny print run is only reason i bought it and why i haven't sold it yet, with it being 1st app of new villain this ultimate and the jim lee tour will be the key books

6 hours ago, valiantman said:

You can't get only 300 printed for a store variant from DC or Marvel.

They only sold 250.

Edited by ygogolak

5 hours ago, ygogolak said:

You can't get only 300 printed for a store variant from DC or Marvel.

They only sold 250.

comic mint does the full order sends them to get graded, when they hit the amount of 9.8s they need they stop and the rest get destroyed. 250 graded copies plus 10-20 raws for cover artist