• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2018 Annual March Madness CGC Grading Tournament - Seeding Round
8 8

199 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Jester Hats said:

Yeah, I missed the notation too. Please make them bold perhaps?

Did I not make it to the next round?

Should we remind you to wipe the sleep out of your eyes too? :baiting:

Meh. Not bad. The two that gave me a problem were ASM #129 and Warlord. The #129 was badly affected by the missing piece, but I struggled with just how bad. I gave it a 4.5. Warlord, it's hard to guess how writing affects things, so I said 7.5. Everything else was one level off, with one spot on (SC.)

3 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Meh. Not bad. The two that gave me a problem were ASM #129 and Warlord. The #129 was badly affected by the missing piece, but I struggled with just how bad. I gave it a 4.5. Warlord, it's hard to guess how writing affects things, so I said 7.5. Everything else was one level off, with one spot on (SC.)

Missed the trigger twins, too. Thought that big ol' marker would affect it more.

I can't grade scribbled books! lol

Spot on= 3 wins
Within .5= 2 wins
Not within .5 = 1 loss
Not within 1= 2 losses

Bonus= The third spot on grade will be granted 1 bonus win, fourth= 2 bonus wins, fifth through tenth= 3 bonus wins.

ASM 85: Mine 6.5, Actual 8.5 --> +2L   
ASM 129: Mine 5.0, Actual 3.5 --> +2L
JLA: Mine 8, Actual 8 --> +3W
GL: Mine 9.2, Actual 9.2 --> +3W
PP: Mine 4.0, Actual 4 --> +3W
Toma: Mine 3.0, Actual 2.5 --> +2W
TT: Mine 7.0, Actual 6.5 --> +2W
MF: Mine 6.5, Actual 5.0 --> +2L
SC: Mine 0.5, Actual 0.5 --> +3W
WAR: Mine 9.6, Actual 6 --> +2L  Double cover threw me off

Plus 2 Bonus with 4 spot ons

= I'm 2nd to dead last with a 18-8???

If that's the case they need you missed your calling as graders yourself.

lol

Edited by Wally's Comics

11 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Missed the trigger twins, too. Thought that big ol' marker would affect it more.

I can't grade scribbled books! lol

Most of my losses were to that team with the black sharpie too...hope there won't be a lot of that going on in the tournament.  I was recalling a GA book in the green eggs contest that had red marker scribbled over an otherwise nice book that came up a 4.0, so that influenced my guessing.  Maybe the CGC rules are black = 6.0 and red = 4.0? (shrug)   Personally don't feel like any book with marker writing on it should go higher than a 5.0...should be an automatic thing like a subscription crease.

I'm sorry that I missed the Deadline. I was away and thought that I would be able to grade the books on the 8th, but I had so much to do after my return that it didn't work out. The same happened last year with a vacation around the same time. This sucks. Hopefully next year :wishluck: Have fun with the contest!

14 minutes ago, Black Lantern said:

I'm sorry that I missed the Deadline. I was away and thought that I would be able to grade the books on the 8th, but I had so much to do after my return that it didn't work out. The same happened last year with a vacation around the same time. This sucks. Hopefully next year :wishluck: Have fun with the contest!

You're in.  I will send a PM.

Since we have under 128 contestants, there's going to be a lot of first round BYEs. We'll get you in as the last place seed. 

Apologies to adampasz for cutting & pasting the format of his post but it saved me a lot of time for doing my own version but I'm struggling to understand why I got 10/9. What am I missing here?

ASM 85: Mine 8.0, Actual 8.5 --> +2W
ASM 129: Mine 4.0, Actual 3.5 --> +2W
JLA: Mine 8.5, Actual 8 --> +2W
GL: Mine 9.0, Actual 9.2 --> +2W
PP: Mine 3.5, Actual 4 --> +2W
Toma: Mine 2.0, Actual 2.5 --> +2W
WAR: Mine 6.0, Actual 6 --> +3W

By my calculation I should be 20/2.

1 hour ago, Wally's Comics said:

Spot on= 3 wins
Within .5= 2 wins
Not within .5 = 1 loss
Not within 1= 2 losses

Bonus= The third spot on grade will be granted 1 bonus win, fourth= 2 bonus wins, fifth through tenth= 3 bonus wins.

ASM 85: Mine 6.5, Actual 8.5 --> +2L   
ASM 129: Mine 5.0, Actual 3.5 --> +2L
JLA: Mine 8, Actual 8 --> +3W
GL: Mine 9.2, Actual 9.2 --> +3W
PP: Mine 4.0, Actual 4 --> +3W
Toma: Mine 3.0, Actual 2.5 --> +2W
WAR: Mine 9.6, Actual 6 --> +2L  Double cover threw me off

Plus 2 Bonus with 4 spot ons

= I'm 2nd to dead last with a 18-8???

If that's the case they need you missed your calling as graders yourself.

lol

:frustrated:

Wally's Comics    6.5    5    9.2    8    6.5    4    3    7    0.5    9.6

Did you not follow the book order? Because your entry is totally screwed up? Especially Books 3 and 4 grades are transposed.

19 minutes ago, Harry Lime said:

Apologies to adampasz for cutting & pasting the format of his post but it saved me a lot of time for doing my own version but I'm struggling to understand why I got 10/9. What am I missing here?

ASM 85: Mine 8.0, Actual 8.5 --> +2W
ASM 129: Mine 4.0, Actual 3.5 --> +2W
JLA: Mine 8.5, Actual 8 --> +2W
GL: Mine 9.0, Actual 9.2 --> +2W
PP: Mine 3.5, Actual 4 --> +2W
Toma: Mine 2.0, Actual 2.5 --> +2W
WAR: Mine 6.0, Actual 6 --> +3W

By my calculation I should be 20/2.

Harry Lime    8    4    9    8.5    6.5    3.5    2    7    0.5    6

You're transposed too...  (Your grades are entered into the spreadsheet and if they are entered in the wrong order, then that explains the grade....)

Brackets are delayed until we get this sorted out... My apologies. I'm not sure what happened during the input process. (I just got the
"Final version" yesterday night.)

8 minutes ago, sckao said:

Harry Lime    8    4    9    8.5    6.5    3.5    2    7    0.5    6

You're transposed too...  (Your grades are entered into the spreadsheet and if they are entered in the wrong order, then that explains the grade....)

Argh, you're right of course. Don't know why I did that other than that I'm an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. I deserve 10/9. :(

EDIT: Just seen I did it in the order the large scans were posted. Still my fault of course for not following the instructions but at least I'm not totally random.

Edited by Harry Lime

1 hour ago, BorderlineHoarder said:

Most of my losses were to that team with the black sharpie too...hope there won't be a lot of that going on in the tournament.  I was recalling a GA book in the green eggs contest that had red marker scribbled over an otherwise nice book that came up a 4.0, so that influenced my guessing.  Maybe the CGC rules are black = 6.0 and red = 4.0? (shrug)   Personally don't feel like any book with marker writing on it should go higher than a 5.0...should be an automatic thing like a subscription crease.

It was red crayon :gossip: