• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC 9.8 comes back 8.5 after being resubmitted for SS with quick press
1 1

24 posts in this topic

Anyone ever have a CGC 9.8 cracked to get signed then after obtaining the signatures for SS, have it quick pressed & only receive an 8.5?

I just recently had this occur with a G.I Joe Special #1 after getting McFarlane Signature and Hama Sketch & Signature on it. 

I contacted the CGC facilitator who handled the sigs for me and I’m  awaiting the grader notes just curious if anyone has had such a drastic drop in grade 9.8 down to 8.5 after having a book quick pressed...

Edited by ERA189
Grammar

38 minutes ago, ERA189 said:

Anyone ever have a CGC 9.8 cracked to get signed then after obtaining the signatures for SS, have it quick pressed & only receive an 8.5?

I just recently had this occur with a G.I Joe Special #1 after getting McFarlane Signature and Hama Sketch & Signature on it. 

I contacted the CGC facilitator who handled the sigs for me and I’m  awaiting the grader notes just curious if anyone has had such a drastic drop in grade 9.8 down to 8.5 after having a book quick pressed...

Wow... that's a shame!

Ouch! I've never had a "quick press" performed on any of my books, at least not to my knowledge. I've done the crack and sign on a little more than three dozen books and fortunately I've only experienced two drops - a 9.8 to a 9.6 and a 9.8 to a 9.4. Still not sure what happened on the latter. The former was due to more stringent grading standards as of late.

I try avoid pressing books unless I'm absolutely desperate.

Edited by newshane

Yeah I never pressed a book before and was encouraged to due so since it was a 9.8...I don’t see any visible flaws to the book and am completely baffled how this could occur.  Still awaiting the graders notes 

Grader notes say Medium Split Bottom of Spine

I was advised to doing do quick press via CCS just to ensure the 9.8 stands wasn’t looking for a grade increase 

CCS had to damage this book in the pressing process cause there’s no way it goes from 9.8 to 8.5 due to a split cause nobody was sitting there reading the book 

DC5F59C6-76D7-4147-BEF9-35657C27FEFE.jpeg

1A2420C3-BE92-43A5-9BFA-8781C0BC85F1.jpeg

9 hours ago, ERA189 said:

Yeah I never pressed a book before and was encouraged to due so since it was a 9.8...

Sounds like someone is ripping you off. 

38 minutes ago, ERA189 said:

Grader notes say Medium Split Bottom of Spine

I was advised to doing do quick press via CCS just to ensure the 9.8 stands wasn’t looking for a grade increase 

CCS had to damage this book in the pressing process cause there’s no way it goes from 9.8 to 8.5 due to a split cause nobody was sitting there reading the book 

That's a risk you take.

Of course, I'm certain that CCS will say "you should have paid for a pre-screen to avoid potential damage." 

That seems to be the typical cop out for ruining someone's book. 

DISCLAIMER - it's not necessarily the fault of CCS. The crack, sign, and resub game is very risky. The book gets packed and shipped around several times. It travels to shows. The book is exchanged over several hands. With all that handling, anything can happen at any stage in the process. Maybe the CCS ruined it, maybe not. Could have been the way you packed it. Could have been the way it was handled. Could have been the artist. Unfortunately, you'll never know. 

Edited by newshane

33 minutes ago, ERA189 said:

Yeah definitely learned to not press anything...first time I ever did it and i got burned

fortunately it only ruined 1 and not both as I submitted 2 and the other kept its 9.8 

Pressing can really help certain books. The key is to have it done by the right person who will take the proper care for the proper price. A certain amount of patience is involved. Some people take the time to watch the book for a while after the pressing is performed, to make sure that the book doesn't "spring" back. It's more of an artform that a fast-food-style, instant gratification. The word "quick" just makes a little nervous in this context.

I never get 9.8s pressed when I play the game. If they were pressed by the handler, then it was done without my permission or knowledge. There is no point in getting a 9.8 pressed unless the book drops a grade, which would be the proper time to assess the situation.

I'm not saying you feel this way, but some people (like me) had unrealistic expectations when they first start getting their books pressed. Overall, I had mixed results. That's why I think it's important to really consider the benefits and risks of getting it done on a case by case basis. All the services I know of happen to offer a per-screening service and will let you know what you should do. Anyone in the pressing business with ethics would spare a book from the process if they believed it would be detrimental to the book's health.  I learned the hard way early on as I sent books en masse to be pressed, forgoing the pre-screening service. That's why I recommend for people to cough up the few extra dollars for a pre-screen until they get a hang for what can really be done for a book.

I've had a real mixed bag with cracking copper and modern 9.8s for signatures.  Had at least 7 or 8 come back at 9.6 so I've literally stopped cracking.

I have cracked 5 9.6s that have all come back 9.8s after SS though.  That's a much cheaper option LOL.

This comes up all the time. Graded 9.8's cracked out for signatures - resubmitted - and coming back a lower grade. 

The OP's specific situation is a bit worse than is normally posted - but is not unheard of. 

Maybe the spine split during pressing. Maybe the spine was weak all along and split just from being handled.  But the real issue here is when you crack a 9.8 out of a CGC slab, get it signed and resubmit, you have no where to go grade-wise but the same or down.  Your chances of getting a 9.9 are in fact nonexistent -your odds of getting struck by lightning are higher.  I never, Never, NEVER crack 9.8's out for signatures. Crack out 9.2-9.6 yes. Or buy a sharp raw copy. But never 9.8's. Just too high a chance of a grade drop. 

Just chalk this up as a learning experience and don't do it again. Unless you are willing to sacrifice a 9.8 grade for a signature on a lower grade 

Edited by Tony S

I've heard of one case where a 9.8 hit 9.9 after being cracked and sent to CCS. But that is super rare.

I've been lucky so far. (knock on wood) The 9.8s I've cracked have come back the same grade.But I have had 9.6s drop to 9.4s.

Sometimes with common 9.8s it is nice to have something that makes it stand out against the others. I enjoy having some books with a sweet yellow label.

Edited by STORMSHADOW_80

A little late-night strolling on the forums I find this thread. :cry: 

You folks are scaring me, submitted my Spectacular Spider-Man 9.8 Stan Lee's off for some addition signatures. Unfortunately, I added the quick press simply hoping they maintain the grade not looking for a bump. Sounds like I should not have added the quick press. I sure hope I do not get "struck by lightning". 

Spectacular Spider-Man #9, 10. Signed by Stan Lee, and Sal Buscema. Submitted them for George Perez.

One of these books my Spectacular Spider-Man #1 the “Whale” signed by Stan Lee, Mike Esposito, John Romita, and Sal Buscema. I could not resist the opportunity to add the final signature from Gerry Conway. It is away now…. Pray it holds the coveted 9.8 my friends. :flamed:

Once complete the “Spectacular Spider-Man Nuff Said!” set is complete! Now to upgrade the final few issues to CGC 9.8.

Thanks for the post…