• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC 9.8 comes back 8.5 after being resubmitted for SS with quick press
1 1

24 posts in this topic

Your books though are Bronze -- it's been my experience that the cover paper of high-grade Marvels of that era is far less likely to ever exhibit issues at the fold of the spine.

When DC began using different cover paper stocks in the 80s, and especially in the late '80s with "New Format" books, I had a hell of a time at my LCS to find copies that exhibited a near-perfect spine.  Slight fraying had begun on untouched copies. That hadn't been an issue with my earlier collecting, mid-70s and up, with the exception of bindery tears of Dollar Comics etc. (fatter books).  Same with some '80s Marvels -- my Blade Runner Marvel Super Special had a horrendous bindery tear.

Because of the cover stock of your '70s Spectacular Spider-Man issues, I don't think properly done pressing will harm them.

A 9.8 grade is usually the result if the book not having been handled much during production. The average grade for normal handling on a new book is 9.4/9.6 so those are the grades expected to get back during signature series unless a particular book is prone to issues, as this one is. Plus there's the fact that grading is not consistent across years and people, so even if bothing happened to the book, the new person grading it might be more strict towards a particular flaw.

All this to say that you usually have to choose what matters most to you in this particular process: getting the signature or keeping the grade?

It's true you could get a great outcome and get both, but its just as true that the grade will lower so you have to make that choice. If you absolutely do not want your grade to lower, I would suggest against submitting a slabbed book for a signature. 

It finally showed up! Two years and a few months later it returns. Thank you Lauren at DWC, for making sure to stay on this book through the Pandemic. It really slowed down the process! Glad the result was not a total disaster! Check out the "Spectacular Spider-Man "Nuff Said!" Collection! The White Whale is back where it belongs. You folks were spot on! Here is a picture for you. Before and after! 

Thanks everyone,

Brian W

slpfi27 

#01 SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN CGC 9.8 WP x5 SIGNATURES THE WHITE WHALE A.jpg

#001 Spectacular Spider-Man Signature Series.jpg

I suspect one of two things...someone damaged the book in handling during the signing or possibly you got someone else's book back. I saw a recent youtube video of someone receiving back two copies of a Wolverine 1 that he only sent in one copy of....clearly he got someone else's book back as well as his own.