• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GA Production art? Hydroman Man O'metal Flintman Rainbow Boy Musicmaster

7 posts in this topic

I bought a stack of front and back covers, some black & white stats, some comic ads, and some single interior pages (all in one auction).

I don't know much about this kind of thing but they perked my interest so I bought them.

Most of them are in great shape except most have some glue residue that was brushed onto the back.  Some of the covers are white on the back like they were pulled off the press before the backside was printed.

Mostly I was interested in the cool "Heroic Comics" superhero covers.  Those are some awesome heroes that you don't hear/see much of.... Hydroman, Man o'metal, Musicmaster, Rainbowboy, & FlintMan.  Such cool Superheroes.

Can someone confirm for me that these are all most likely production art of some sort.

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

a3.jpg

a4.jpg

a5.jpg

a6.jpg

Edited by gadzukes

1 hour ago, aardvark88 said:

The b/w pages may be production stats. The loose covers without inside ad may be trimmed production covers of the day. I assume all are GA :acclaim: comic book size?

Yes, all comic book size.  Some of the covers are blank on the back so I guess they may have been pulled off the press before the backs were printed.

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Yeah, pretty sure these are production pieces from the printer's files. The b/w ones are either stats or maybe silver prints. The color covers are press proofs for the publisher or artist to OK.

What's a "Silver Print"?  The Famous Funnies 10 b/w has a different look to it than the others.  Maybe that one's a Silver Print.

11 hours ago, Robot Man said:

A silver print is a cheap, quick proof. Kind of like a blue print. They often smell like either. They are often faded as they wern’t meant to last long.

OK, that's like the Jingle Jangle in the 2nd photo.  All the other B/Ws must be photostats