• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on date stamps?
1 1

33 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, PovertyRow said:

Add me to the pro-date stamp camp (see what I did there?) They are a little bit of the distribution/retail history.  I'll take a nice date stamped book over the same condition w/o the stamp.

Regarding the history, the date stamp is a couple years after this book was on the stands. I wonder who stamped it ?

7 hours ago, comicquant said:

I'm a huge fan of date stamps.  To me they add to the collectibility of any book.  The cleaner and more prominent they are the better! 

Completely agree, provided they're neat and placed unobtrusively over the artwork.  They add to the sense of age of a book.  It is a bit weird, though, when a date stamp doesn't match with the publication date.

Edited by namisgr

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Regarding the history, the date stamp is a couple years after this book was on the stands. I wonder who stamped it ?

1 hour ago, namisgr said:

Completely agree, provided they're neat and placed unobtrusively over the artwork.  They add to the sense of age of a book.  It is a bit weird, though, when a date stamp doesn't match with the publication date.

Maybe it was sitting in a warehouse somewhere and then found it’s way to a comic shop that stamped it. I think it’s a neat part of the history of the book. A little bit of mystery I guess

21 minutes ago, James Lawry said:

Maybe it was sitting in a warehouse somewhere and then found it’s way to a comic shop that stamped it. I think it’s a neat part of the history of the book. A little bit of mystery I guess

Definitely, the mystery of the date does NOT detract from the awesomeness of the  stamp.

Big date stamp fan.  I think part of the reason they stopped was the advent of direct market and the cessation of allowing retailers to return unsold copies.

Edited by KPR Comics

4 minutes ago, James Lawry said:

Hey peeps.  I am looking at a raw Flash 111 with a date stamp of 12/22/1959, but the date that it hit stores is 2/1960.

Is this normal?

Thanks!

The date on the comic(not the date stamp) is a couple months ahead of the actual date it hit the stands. This is normal. It's kind of like the 'sell by' date on food.

4 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

The date on the comic(not the date stamp) is a couple months ahead of the actual date it hit the stands. This is normal. It's kind of like the 'sell by' date on food.

Gotcha, thanks Bob!

Here is the book I think I'm gonna grab (on a Flash kick).  This has to be about the best cover I have ever seen.

flash111.jpg

On 3/20/2018 at 11:27 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

I just bought a book where the date stamp is a few months prior to the publication date. How is this?

15 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

I just bought a book where the date stamp is a few months prior to the publication date. How is this?

Yes, that's exactly what I said. The date stamp precedes the publication date. That's because the book hits the stands months before the publication date. That's just the way it works. If the book came out the same month as the publication date it would be 'stale' too quickly. 

7 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Yes, that's exactly what I said. The date stamp precedes the publication date. That's because the book hits the stands months before the publication date. That's just the way it works. If the book came out the same month as the publication date it would be 'stale' too quickly. 

Ok, I read it differently...thanks for the clarification.