• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan Lee Fires Longtime Manager Max "Mac Anderson" possible Embezzlement and abuse!
5 5

118 posts in this topic

I understand the situation's different, but all of this reminds me of the mess surrounding Frank Frazetta near the end of his life.  IIRC, it was after Ellie died that Frank's personal life and business affairs became overly contentious.  It is truly a shame.

Edited by Unca Ben

2 hours ago, namisgr said:

Apparently, it's a lot more than this guy Max that's having a field day with Stan's money:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/picked-apart-by-vultures-the-last-days-of-stan-lee

Just saw/read it.   How insanely awful.   It's important , especially for the elderly, to find a good person (or people) to help navigate finances, when it comes to $$$$.  These people are just scumbag opportunists.  How many people on these boards, with a financial background, would have loved the opportunity help Stan and his estate, and do it with dignity?  Some of this falls on the daughter.  She sounds like an air head. 

Stan was always too easy going in his business dealings.  Too trusting.  I'd hoped that Peter Paul was the last snake to get in his good graces and take advantage of him... but this is all so much worse.  Even crook Paul got Stans new internet company Stan Lee Media to a valuation greater than all of Marvel at the time... before it fell apart.

paging Mark Zaid?

Wouldn't it be fair to assume that once JC and Stan rid themselves of the parasites, that he will still have a steady income from Marvel royalties and ventures?  I think it's awful that people take advantage, but I would think there's more coming to him/them over time.

I believe Stan ceded future royalties to all Marvel interest in his cash settlement.  And his Marvel income would cease with him. IM not sure what other investments or Stan Lee related income streams he has other than the Sigs which will also cease, unless he did a Dali and stockpiled signatures for later sales.

there are so many influential and smart people in his circle and there must be some who are willing to step in and help Stan sort this out. Or maybe he has isolated himself over the years and no one thinks he needs help.  Now they do. 

9 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

Just saw/read it.   How insanely awful.   It's important , especially for the elderly, to find a good person (or people) to help navigate finances, when it comes to $$$$.  These people are just scumbag opportunists.  How many people on these boards, with a financial background, would have loved the opportunity help Stan and his estate, and do it with dignity?  Some of this falls on the daughter.  She sounds like an air head. 

This article makes perfect sense, people trying to take advantage of Lee & his daughter. It's a shame to say the least but I can imagine it happening. I think a GoFund me page needs to happen for Stan from all his comic peeps (J.Scott Campbell, Peter David, Neal Adams, Kevin Smith, etc) and put their money where their mouth is. If they want to a praise Max, praise the real hero, Stan Lee. Or they need to organize private signings at his house from here on out to make some cash. 

My 2c

5 minutes ago, martini25 said:

This article makes perfect sense, people trying to take advantage of Lee & his daughter. It's a shame to say the least but I can imagine it happening. I think a GoFund me page needs to happen for Stan from all his comic peeps (J.Scott Campbell, Peter David, Neal Adams, Kevin Smith, etc) and put their money where their mouth is. If they want to a praise Max, praise the real hero, Stan Lee. Or they need to organize private signings at his house from here on out to make some cash. 

My 2c

I don't think Stan Lee is going to be in the unemployment line anytime soon that he'd need a GoFundme page.  

13 hours ago, martini25 said:

My 2c

12 hours ago, Kevin76 said:

I don't think Stan Lee is going to be in the unemployment line anytime soon that he'd need a GoFundme page.  

Agreed...   If you are all going to set up a GoFund Me page for Stan, I will set myself up with one where we can crowdsource the funds for airfare, lodging, meals, and tickets to send myself and a guest to see Phish at the Gorge in Washington from 7/20 to 7/22.   If not, then I guess I will travel to Camden, #4 on the murder capital of the United States list.

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/blog/top100dangerous

phish-2018-gorge-2.png

I remember Stan promoting the Hands of Respect at several of the comic cons I attended. He spoke with enthusiasm about stopping interactial violence and wore a pin with a black hand shaking a white hand to spread this message.

I remember thinking that this was a nice positive message that he was spreading, especially with the recent police on minority murders that were making headlines. However, as someone who used to work in the non-profit sector, I found myself wondering where is the money going? 

There was no mention of money going to low income schools or toward scholarships. It’s sad to learn that this money was going to Jerry Olivarez (According to The Daily Beast Article). Jerry was exploiting a message of peace for personal gain. Also sad that Stan and JC were so trustworthy and oblivious to the vultures around them. 

Edited by seredynskib

A couple of thoughts.

I read this yesterday after it was shared on a FB friends feed. The thing that immediately struck me is the comment about JC being paranoid someone would steal her work. As I said yesterday on that friends FB wall, if this isn't a joke, it's a kind of family karma that creator rights advocates who have been targeting Stan for years are going to lap up and deem just deserts.

The Hands of Respect thing is terrible if it turns out true. To have used Stan as a public facing figure to collect money for what sounds to be a poorly run, possibly illegitimate charity, is not a good look right now, on top of all the terrible things happening to Stan.

And yes, I concur with @Unca Ben to some degree about the Frazetta family mess, especially Frank Jr's crazy actions - and that is probably one of those examples that reinforces the statistic that elderly abuse is committed by family/relatives.

I want to make it clear I've been indifferent towards Stan Lee over the years, but as someone that has lived it in my own personal life, it's disheartening, and it feels like elderly abuse.  I hope the truth comes out about who is responsible, but my gut and instincts tell me I already know the answer.  As hard as it is to see a widowed man of 95 years of age go through all this, the sad reality is that elderly abuse happens all too frequently, and comes in many different forms, and if nothing else, this should heighten everyone's awareness of one of the many ways it can happen.

Edited by comicwiz

Here's another article I just saw today.  Hope he gets better and survives the financial situation

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/celebrity/‘picked-apart-by-vultures’-the-last-days-of-stan-lee/ar-BBK5SQW?li=BBnb2gh 

His daughter JC looks like Ann Coulter to me

Edited by silverweb

It will cost $$$ in lawyers to make the crooked lawyers who already have millions of his $$$ just go away. Dealing with very elderly people, especially who have lots of money, it's very easy for a small group of smooth-talking con-men to clean them out completely if the "mark" is very trusting and wanting to be generous.

His means of protecting himself were lost when he lost his wife and was probably given a pile of legal documents to sign at the moment of his grief by a "trusted" lawyer who suddenly got legal power of attorney probably by slipping in a PoA doc into the stack of forms he had Stan sign as quick as he signs a stack of books at a con (coincidental pun). With the PoA he immediately set himself up with a $850K condo and spending cash, and a steady stream of "Hands of Respect" income.

His daughter may not have full faculties to help him enough, not his fault, but the jackals around him knew that which is why they immediately tried to cut her out of the picture completely.

Then there's Max and the nurses....

Bottomline - crystal clear case of a pack of jackals going after a 95 year old man who has already lost almost everyone he could really trust and doesn't have the mental sharpness of men 1/3 his age to see a con happening to him in action. Not the way a living legend and recent widower should live out his last few years regardless of if he's a millionaire or not, having to fight off vultures and jackals.

Edited by jcjames

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 8:55 AM, silverweb said:

His daughter JC looks like Ann Coulter to me

My first thought when I saw her, except that Ann would have personally plucked and cooked all of these vultures preying on Stan all on her own. 

Edited by James J Johnson