• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best New Comic Covers/Artwork!

7 posts in this topic

One of my single favorite aspects to comics has always been the artwork and IMO, there has never been as many talented artists working in the comic industry at any give time than we currently have right now. The sheer number of high quality comic artists currently working today is pretty amazing. Anyways, as someone that absolutely loves comic art, I figured it might be nice to start a thread that focused purely on the best new comic covers either recently released, or are currently up for pre order. And by recently released I mean anything released in the last couple of months. I don't want this to be a thread where people start posting their favorite covers from like 5-10 years ago. This is purely for comic art that was recently released. Or any original comic art people might have gotten made via commissions and such. 

So I'll start things off with a few of my favorite recent covers.

Mighty Thor Vol 2 #705 Cover B Variant Stanley Artgerm Lau Cover

1709628_xl.thumb.jpg.0e3da276cab208d30a761c1960561728.jpg

Infinity Countdown #1 Cover C Variant Adi Granov Captain Marvel Holds Infinity Cover

5a9889b4c61ac_InfinityCountdown1CoverCVariantAdiGranovCaptainMarvelHoldsInfinityCover.thumb.jpg.98c1918239939519f1853993a87a8a16.jpg

Injustice 2 #25

5a9889fcbf480_Injustice225.thumb.jpg.d2a027fc726ab398a5668a881ef5b201.jpg

Flash Vol 5 #47 Cover A Regular Howard Porter Cover

5a988a5fee3ba_FlashVol547CoverARegularHowardPorterCover.thumb.jpg.c77b9c08957260bdf395949966331164.jpg

Dejah Thoris Vol 2 #4 Cover B Variant Diego Galindo Cover

5a988ae25f30f_DejahThorisVol24CoverBVariantDiegoGalindoCover.thumb.jpg.4799df7057d962b81d22259b783ace33.jpg

Batgirl Vol 5 #20 Cover B Variant Joshua Middleton Cover

5a988b3fcb6da_BatgirlVol520CoverBVariantJoshuaMiddletonCover.thumb.jpg.6aa8a17b328a6c7598d3264f9cd3c748.jpg

Green Arrow Vol 7 #40 Cover A Regular Tyler Kirkham Cover

5a988b8e85336_GreenArrowVol740CoverARegularTylerKirkhamCover.thumb.jpg.17985067d8be32b8930fe36969aef929.jpg

Grimm Fairy Tales Presents Hellchild Inferno One Shot Cover C Jay Anacleto

5a988b940189d_GrimmFairyTalesPresentsHellchildInfernoOneShotCoverCJayAnacleto.thumb.jpg.6464b7ba1179d368af2a533946c592c3.jpg

Duel Identity #3

5a988b957a30e_DUELIDENTITY3.thumb.jpg.2d6419d4faf82532f53f6c4c70ab1a82.jpg

Edited by OrangeCrush

But are the insides any good? I find many new books art just rough sketch layout talking heads with lens flares and color gradients. The ads look better than the stories on many books these days. Without a master storyteller artist on the inside those are just square pogs to me.

24 minutes ago, Alf Pogs said:

But are the insides any good? I find many new books art just rough sketch layout talking heads with lens flares and color gradients. The ads look better than the stories on many books these days. Without a master storyteller artist on the inside those are just square pogs to me.

I have no clue as I don't own any of these comics yet and the stories are really completely irrelevant. The point of this thread was about posting up the best new covers being released, not what comics have the best stories. And I disagree 100% on your last point. I don't need a quality story to appreciate a beautiful comic cover. That's one of the main reasons why I am such a big comic print collector. I can appreciate the artwork just on the basis of the artwork. Again, I don't need a quality story to appreciate beautiful comic art. 

Edited by OrangeCrush

4 minutes ago, OrangeCrush said:

I have no clue as I don't own any of these comics yet and the stories are really completely irrelevant. The point of this thread was about posting up the best new covers being released, not what comics have the best stories.

I think the post title should have been a bit more specific "Best New/Modern Comic Covers".

That being said, I really like Tyler Kirkham's covers. 

17 minutes ago, Alf Pogs said:

I like good covers too OC but I gotta have the whole package:)

So do I. I rarely ever buy comics just for the cover. The only time I do that is with my absolute favorite artists like Parrillo, Campbell, & Del'Otto, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate the beautiful covers that are being produced. I never said people had to own the comics.  This is simply an art appreciation thread, nothing more and nothing less. 

14 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

I think the post title should have been a bit more specific "Best New/Modern Comic Covers".

That being said, I really like Tyler Kirkham's covers. 

I didn't want to just limit it to covers as a lot of people get various commissions made or get sketches done at art shows. That kind of artwork is perfectly suitable as well. If its new and someone thinks its a beautiful piece of comic art, its fair game.

I compromised and changed it to Best New Comic Covers/Artwork!

Edited by OrangeCrush