• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Craigslist Rant
2 2

55 posts in this topic

So, I need opinions.  I saw a local Craigslist ad on Saturday.  I have never bough comics via CL.   Some guy had some comics spread out on his bed, lots of Bronze Age, some Copper, some Modern.  Said 196 in all, but only about 100 pictured.   There were a lot of Horror, Kung Fu, but also some superhero.  He had some ASM, including 3rd Punisher, Captain America, and even some old Hulk 25 centers.  I could not tell if 181 was in the picture, if it was it certainly wasn't obvious.  He wanted $100 for all of it.   All books looked like FN+ at best.  I was interested in taking a look so I texted him on Saturday.

He informed me he was out of town, but any time after Tuesday would work.  I told him I can swing by on Wednesday, during my lunch hour if that was ok.  He said 'Sounds good, just text me Wednesday morning, and I will give you my address'.  

So I keep looking at the picture, and I am 75% sure there is a Hulk 181 in the stack.  Never owning one, I am sorta looking forward to seeing for sure if he had one.   So Tuesday night at about 10:30 pm, he sends me a text and says----'Sorry, but somebody came by and bought the comics'...?!??!?!     WTF, I cleared extra time off with my work for my lunch hour just to make a trip, and somehow he miraculously was able to show them Tuesday night to somebody.    Did I get undercut?   Did some weasel  text him and offer him 3x his asking price if he could come by and buy the lot that night?!  I am kind of frustrated, because I have sold some things on CL before (comics, musical instruments, antiques), and I always slot people whoever calls first, gets first crack.   

Is this normal?  Or was I not aggressive enough?  I thought he said anytime 'After Tuesday', meant Wednesday was open.   Maybe I just need to act like a jerk more often, push little old ladies out of the way during a fire drill, and trip the handicap kid in the grocery store. 

Sincerely,  Bummed in FLA. 

Edited by Mercury Man

1 minute ago, Wolverinex said:

That sucks, but you never know... maybe he was a psycho and kidnapped that guy...

+1...  He may be chomping on a bicep steak with an eyeball salad as we speak.  I know too many people who have been ripped off or disappointed in CL.  Seems like 1 out of 20 of these things go through.

13 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

he sold the books to the first person to show up is all.

I get that.  But the way he phrased it was, anytime AFTER Tuesday.  If he got a call Tuesday night and some guy said I can come tonight, I (personally) would have said, I got a guy schedule for Wednesday at noon, but if that falls through  I will let you know.  I dunno....that's just me. 

7 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

That sucks, but you never know... maybe he was a psycho and kidnapped that guy...

That is what I was hoping for.  :insane: 

4 minutes ago, comicquant said:

+1...  He may be chomping on a bicep steak with an eyeball salad as we speak. 

Atta boy!  I'm starting to feel better. 

18 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

he sold the books to the first person to show up is all.

It's happened to me. And the opposite is true also. I have bought comics from sellers that made prior arrangements for somebody to come take a look. My money is as good as anybody else's. If I show up with the money first, why wouldn't the seller take it? Guaranteed money on the spot as opposed to the chance the other person doesn't show up or doesn't have the money. It sucks, but that's way it goes sometimes.

31 minutes ago, comicquant said:

+1...  He may be chomping on a bicep steak with an eyeball salad as we speak.  I know too many people who have been ripped off or disappointed in CL.  Seems like 1 out of 20 of these things go through.

Eyeball salad?  Sounds delicious.  

12 minutes ago, jaeldubyoo said:

It's happened to me. And the opposite is true also. I have bought comics from sellers that made prior arrangements for somebody to come take a look. My money is as good as anybody else's. If I show up with the money first, why wouldn't the seller take it? Guaranteed money on the spot as opposed to the chance the other person doesn't show up or doesn't have the money. It sucks, but that's way it goes sometimes.

I guess my problem is, I was working within his parameters.  He said he was traveling and anytime AFTER Tuesday (I thought that meant Wednesday).   He should have given me a chance to come by Tuesday night, I mean I would have.  It's really a head scratch for me.  I am trying to look on the bright side, but I feel like people just don't communicate well, or keep their word anymore.  Maybe I am too old school.    I think I am done with CL searches.   

15 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

I guess my problem is, I was working within his parameters.  He said he was traveling and anytime AFTER Tuesday (I thought that meant Wednesday).   He should have given me a chance to come by Tuesday night, I mean I would have.  It's really a head scratch for me.  I am trying to look on the bright side, but I feel like people just don't communicate well, or keep their word anymore.  Maybe I am too old school.    I think I am done with CL searches.   

I agree. perhaps the seller could have honored his agreement with you. Sorry it happened. From a different perspective: I have listed books and have had people say they will come to look and don't. I have had plans fall through and suddenly be available. It is just stuff that happens. The book wasn't a Hulk 181 does that help? 

Have a pic? I would like to scrutinize in an effort to give you some solace.

Edited by Artboy99

Maybe he said after Tues because there were 3 people in front of you who had already arranged to meet with him?

How sure are you that you were the first to contact him?

maybe someone said take it from the pictures.

It is not clear here that anyone 'undercut' you.

It would be nice if this person would at least have given you a heads up that someone else was on the way to look at them. I understand that people are people and he probably found himself available to show them after all when the buyer messaged. Unfortunately for you they scooped the books.  It was all probably trash with ripped back covers anyway.

I wish I had used craigslist more when we lived in Tampa. Craigslist in NYC is a nightmare.

1 minute ago, speedcake said:

It was all probably trash with ripped back covers anyway.

I mean it was hard to tell, but I definitely felt there was some stuff I could have used in my collection.  For $100, it wasn't the money, just more the thrill of the hunt, and seeing what exactly he had.  Again, I would have handled it differently if I was the seller.   It's not like I said, 'Oh anytime after Tuesday, how about 10 days from that?'. 

That reminds me of a guy who was selling comics on kijiji (Canadian Craigslist). I forget what they were now but it was a killer deal. As soon as I saw the ad I called his phone. No answer so I left a voicemail. Three hours go by and I havent heard from him so I sent an email. There's no reply, and not wanting to seem too anxious I wait 24 hours and then text his number. No reply. Another 24 hours go by and I call him. To my surprise he answers, but I am told "you shoulda called earlier I literally just sold 'em the guy is driving away right now". I explained that I called, left a voicemail, an email and a text to which he replied thay he was too old for texts and emails. 

Some people who use craigslist/kijiji are just the worst. I know it sucks when you get excited about the purchase and then are let down but you gotta roll with the punches.

If you've dealt with Craigslist enough, you've had people tell you they're going to show up at a certain time, then you never hear from them again.  If I sell something on CL, first person to show up with cash gets whatever I'm selling.  I don't wait for anybody.

WOW - I would have told him I would send him a deposit via Paypal with those pictures sight unseen.  He wanted $0.50 a book and most do not look like 90s drek would have been a no brainer.  Sorry you missed out on a possible steal but always try to push sellers to sell right away and if you are 90% sure of it being a steal it pays to go out on a limb a bit and lock in the sale before you see the books.