• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay non paying bidders
1 1

29 posts in this topic

I'd echo the switching listings to BIN w/ immediate payment required sentiment.  If you have a lot of non-paying bidders, just save yourself the pain and put your best price out there.  I've had a couple non-payers but overall they're a small minority.  I don't hound people once an auction ends, I let ebay tell them to pay.  If they haven't in a couple days I will send an invoice. Best thing I can say I've done is when an auction ends just don't assume it's a done deal, and relisting is easy. That way there's no disappointment.

On 3/5/2018 at 10:33 AM, GM8 said:

I'd echo the switching listings to BIN w/ immediate payment required sentiment.  If you have a lot of non-paying bidders, just save yourself the pain and put your best price out there.  I've had a couple non-payers but overall they're a small minority.  I don't hound people once an auction ends, I let ebay tell them to pay.  If they haven't in a couple days I will send an invoice. Best thing I can say I've done is when an auction ends just don't assume it's a done deal, and relisting is easy. That way there's no disappointment.

Requesting immediate payment is one option to avoid non-paying buyers. Everyone who does this just has to remember that now you can't send invoices to buyers who want to purchase multiple listings for combined shipping. There is no "request total from seller" option if immediate payment is required. This won't affect a lot slab sales but guys filling runs of raw comics like to combine shipping. 

1 hour ago, FN-2199 said:

Requesting immediate payment is one option to avoid non-paying buyers. Everyone who does this just has to remember that now you can't send invoices to buyers who want to purchase multiple listings for combined shipping. There is no "request total from seller" option if immediate payment is required. This won't affect a lot slab sales but guys filling runs of raw comics like to combine shipping. 

Is this new? Or was it possible if you select an option about combining shipping?

I combine but always just refund people after the fact. It may reduce some sales but I am not bothered by it all that much.

I pay straight away, no mucking around here....once a seller didn't ship the books to me after 11 days so I contacted them asking when the books will be sent, no response, left it for another week and I message the seller again, he finally messages me back and apologises, tells me a story which was true, how he knocked himself out while cleaning his gutter at home and spent 15 days in hospital in a coma.

Poor guy sent me photos of him laying in his hospital bed looking like he got a beating from Mike Tyson, in the end I told him his health is more important and to ship the books when he is well and ready, I got the books a little late but totally understood the situation.

25 minutes ago, GM8 said:

I combine but always just refund people after the fact. It may reduce some sales but I am not bothered by it all that much.

If you are refunding directly through PayPal, keep in mind that eBay Final Value Fees are not automatically credited for the refunded amount unless it is a complete/full refund. If it's just a partial refund (like for the combine shipping you mentioned) you need to contact eBay directly to have those fees refunded to you.

18 hours ago, DeadOne said:

If you are refunding directly through PayPal, keep in mind that eBay Final Value Fees are not automatically credited for the refunded amount unless it is a complete/full refund. If it's just a partial refund (like for the combine shipping you mentioned) you need to contact eBay directly to have those fees refunded to you.

I agree, I don't like this but suck it up to make the sale. It is too complicated for most buyers to understand this when trying to explain it to them. If they can't figure out how to request an invoice, I'm not going to explain the process of partial refunds and eBay fees. 

19 hours ago, GM8 said:

Is this new? Or was it possible if you select an option about combining shipping?

As far as I know this has been the way for a few years. I don't have any combined shipping formulas created because I hear they usually don't work any way so I just send manual invoices.