• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman Golden Age "Minor" Keys

66 posts in this topic

On 3/2/2018 at 5:01 PM, SuperBird said:

Ones I would consider minor keys and / or classic covers that are sought after:

Superman 6, 11, 14, 17, 18, 23, 24, and 32 (It tickles!)

Action Comics 15, 17, 19, 20, 23, 29... and then a bunch of ones that are relatively more desirable.... 36, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 47, 50, 52, 53, 58, 59, 61 and 63. Basically the war covers, the 2 black covers, and the "atomic radiation" cover. 

If you're going to add Superman 6 as a classic cover, you've gotta add #9, as well...

superman9.jpg

Thanks for all of the information everyone - I have a healthy list of books to target now :)

I think I am going to start with a nice low grade copy of Superman 61 - so if anyone knows of a low grade presentable copy (i.e., no rust, tape, major stains) let me know :)

On 3/2/2018 at 5:01 PM, SuperBird said:

Ones I would consider minor keys and / or classic covers that are sought after:

Superman 6, 11, 14, 17, 18, 23, 24, and 32 (It tickles!)

Action Comics 15, 17, 19, 20, 23, 29... and then a bunch of ones that are relatively more desirable.... 36, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 47, 50, 52, 53, 58, 59, 61 and 63. Basically the war covers, the 2 black covers, and the "atomic radiation" cover

For the record, Action 61 is not an "atomic radiation" cover.  It is an "oil well fire" cover.

1 hour ago, Chillax23 said:

Thanks for all of the information everyone - I have a healthy list of books to target now :)

I think I am going to start with a nice low grade copy of Superman 61 - so if anyone knows of a low grade presentable copy (i.e., no rust, tape, major stains) let me know :)

Assuming that is not a typo, and meant Superman 61 not Action 61 (the "oil well fire" cover), is it a minor key in your view because it is Superman's first trip to Krypton?  Just curious how you'd characterize that book.

On 3/3/2018 at 12:16 PM, Randall Ries said:

I would add Superman # 16:

1st Clark Kent cover appearance in either title.

1st Lois Lane cover in title.

1st "word balloon" in Superman or Action Comics, (Wouldn't see the 1st "word balloon" in Action Comics until #84) next "word balloon" in title is Superman #32 "It tickles".

I think this is an overlooked classic cover. Sums up the Superman/Clark/Lois/Metropolis mythos very nicely.

Jack Burnley was the MAN!

RADE4C6F201833_133217.jpg

I agree 100%.  I've also always thought that cover shows the influence of the Fleischer cartoons.

I'd add Superman 12 (classic patriotic cover), 21 (pretty iconic as it is the cover of the DC anniversary book box), 25 (classic cartoonist cover), 29 (classic patriotic cover), 34 (Red Cross cover), 41 (classic cartoonist cover), 57 (classic superwoman cover) from the 1940s. 

Superman 3 - First kiss between Superman and Lois (although they don't actually show it).  First appearances of Jimmy Olsen, although he isn't named. 

Superman 7 - First appearance of Perry White.

Superman 13 -  First time that Jimmy Olsen's first name is used.

Superman 15 - Jimmy Olsen gets his last name.

6 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

Assuming that is not a typo, and meant Superman 61 not Action 61 (the "oil well fire" cover), is it a minor key in your view because it is Superman's first trip to Krypton?  Just curious how you'd characterize that book.

I think Superman 61 (not Action 61) is a minor key because it is the first appearance of Kryptonite (albeit I think it was red - but still I think the first appearance of Kryptonite is pretty important and if not I think it is pretty cool :) )

5 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

I'd add Superman 12 (classic patriotic cover), 21 (pretty iconic as it is the cover of the DC anniversary book box), 25 (classic cartoonist cover), 29 (classic patriotic cover), 34 (Red Cross cover), 41 (classic cartoonist cover), 57 (classic superwoman cover) from the 1940s. 

You mean Superman 14  (classic patriotic cover) 12 is just a so so next to 14.hm

7 hours ago, Monkeyman said:

Superman 3 - First kiss between Superman and Lois (although they don't actually show it).  First appearances of Jimmy Olsen, although he isn't named. 

What?!  The kiss in Superman 3 (1940) is a reprint from Action 5 (1938).  Jimmy's first appearance is Action 6 as "office boy".

Quit Monkeying around.  :baiting:

19 hours ago, woowoo said:

You mean Superman 14  (classic patriotic cover) 12 is just a so so next to 14.hm

Superman 14 was already on the list (and it is a class patriotic cover).  But Superman 12 is, frankly, the more patriotic of the two covers.  For me, Superman showing his solidarity with soldiers and sailors, essentially showing they are Supermen just like him, is a lot more patriotic than a flag shield and eagle.  The 14 is a better composition.  The 12 is a better message and more reflective of its times. 

2 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

Superman 14 was already on the list (and it is a class patriotic cover).  But Superman 12 is, frankly, the more patriotic of the two covers.  For me, Superman showing his solidarity with soldiers and sailors, essentially showing they are Supermen just like him, is a lot more patriotic than a flag shield and eagle.  The 14 is a better composition.  The 12 is a better message and more reflective of its times. 

(thumbsu