• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The beginning of the end?
1 1

59 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, F For Fake said:

My clearest memory of Amalgam was that I was working at a LCS at the time, and customers were very excited about these books, but no one, NO ONE, knew how to pronounce "Amalgam". I mean, it's not a difficult word, but it really and truly stumped hordes of nerds at our store.

If the shop was in a university area, and its customers were primarily comicbook-reading dental students from a nearby school, that's the only scenario I can think of where you'd have a consistent and accurate pronunciation of Amalgam.

I think they have run out of ideas for new characters with new power sets, so the only thing left to do is smash em together! All New All Different Spiderverine #1! Collector's Item! Kids make sure to get all the variant covers too!

11 minutes ago, valiantman said:

This mashup from 10+ years ago was actually awesome looking, but they didn't do anything with it. (shrug)

New_Avengers_Vol_1_35.jpg

Did it ever get a nickname?

Wolvenom?

Venomverine?

As much as I wish this were the beginning of the end, I still think were at least a couple years from that happening, at least in regards to the variant market. IMO, one of the biggest factors is going to be the decline of super hero movies at the box office and on TV. Every crash need's a kick to really get it going and I think that kick will be the inevitable down turn of super hero movies at the box office and TV. Once the general population really starts to tire of super hero films, which is 100% inevitable in my book especially given the massive amount of content being released now, we should start to see a noticeable decline in all licensed super hero collectibles being sold. IMO, that will be the precursor to the crash of the variant comic market.

And I absolutely 100% believe that a crash is coming. In fact, IMO out of all the bubble markets we have seen in the entire collectible universe, modern variants are by FAR the most obvious bubble market we have seen to date. All of the key signs are there for an impending crash. Speculation has become a bigger and bigger part of the market and is now one of the primary forces in the market, the number being produced has absolutely skyrocketed, and prices continue to reach higher and higher levels. Its just a matter of time before the whole house of cards comes tumbling down, but again I don't think were there yet. I give it like 2-3 years, maybe 5 at most, before that inevitable crash becomes reality. 

3 hours ago, FutureFlash said:

I think they have run out of ideas for new characters with new power sets

With the parent companies, there's no incentive for a creator to create someone cool.  Unless a creator feels like Disney could really use a few bucks since they hardly have any, so gifting them a new property is just being nice

Edited by SteppinRazor

2 hours ago, valiantman said:

This mashup from 10+ years ago was actually awesome looking, but they didn't do anything with it. (shrug)

I used to buy that one when I'd see it in dollar bins just because I thought it was such a cool cover. 

4 hours ago, valiantman said:

Never noticed that the claw at the very bottom of the cover is being held by his pinky. 

On 3/6/2018 at 2:54 PM, F For Fake said:

My clearest memory of Amalgam was that I was working at a LCS at the time, and customers were very excited about these books, but no one, NO ONE, knew how to pronounce "Amalgam". I mean, it's not a difficult word, but it really and truly stumped hordes of nerds at our store.

I thought it was pronounced like amberlamps