• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice Needed
1 1

25 posts in this topic

Last week I contacted Dave Karlen about purchasing an OA Stan Sakai Usagi Yojimbo #56 cover.  Says taking offers.  I asked him what would be the price and he said about $2,500.  I guess he's consigning it for someone, so he had to get it mailed to him because I had some questions about the piece.  

So yesterday Dave emails me and says that he has the piece, describes the condition, tells me his payment conditions, BUT theres "another guy" who's made an offer for $300 more than I did, so someone has offered him $2,800 for the piece.  Something didn't sound right to me, so I told him sorry, I would have to stick to my $2,500 offer, Stan has a watercolored published cover on his site for $3,000 after all. But told him good luck, I'm glad that he had a buyer and thanks for the opportunity.

So, right after that, I get an email from him stating that well a deal is a deal, and I will do the $2,500 with you.  I didn't answer.  Then he emails me saying he has to sell the cover, that he will take $2,300 for it.  He wants to make it right.  Still didn't answer.  Today, I get a text from him, he'll take $2,000, would that work.

I don't know, but I just don't feel comfortable with this whole offer now.  What do you think?

I emailed Dave and told him that after all this, plus with the whole "other buyer" coming into the picture, I would need the piece mailed to me so I can authenticate the piece and then I would make payment after I have made sure everything is good.  I mean what happens if I agreed to the $2,000, sent the money, then all of a sudden another "buyer" has now made another offer and I can either lose my money or match the "other" guys offer. 

We will see, I told him that I would pay the $2,000, but now with all that has transpired I want the piece mailed first, then I would send payment.

Taking you at your word (as I don't otherwise know you but will extend benefit of the doubt), this story is a bummer. Dave is a long-standing member of CFA-APA and somebody that I trusted didn't play games. Sure - take the piece for $2000, it's a good price for a Sakai cover and you'll probably kick yourself later if you just pass on principle (as I usually would and have in the past in similar situations). I wouldn't be too concerned with the art itself, I cannot believe Dave doesn't know what original art is, what he's got in his hands, and I'd be absolutely shocked if he sent you anything other than exactly what he described and what you expect. The worry you might have should be contained to the attempt to extract more money out of you initially.

I've also dealt with Dave before, and he's always struck me as an honest, decent guy, too. 

When looking closely at what you wrote, it said:

"So yesterday Dave emails me and says that he has the piece, describes the condition, tells me his payment conditions, BUT theres "another guy" who's made an offer for $300 more than I did, so someone has offered him $2,800 for the piece. "

Did he actually say that he wouldn't sell it to you unless you went to $2,800 (or more), or is it possible that he was just trying to convey the idea that you got a good deal and said it poorly? If he could have been trying to say the second thing, this may have been a misunderstanding, and it would square with my sense of him that he was an honest dealer. 

14 minutes ago, Panelfan1 said:

I have bought from Dave before and the art was always as described.

Crazy good luck to save the $500!

I'd buy the art and count myself lucky. I've dealt with Dave, too, both buying and selling. No issues at all.

30 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

I've also dealt with Dave before, and he's always struck me as an honest, decent guy, too. 

"So yesterday Dave emails me and says that he has the piece, describes the condition, tells me his payment conditions, BUT theres "another guy" who's made an offer for $300 more than I did, so someone has offered him $2,800 for the piece. "

Did he actually say that he wouldn't sell it to you unless you went to $2,800 (or more), or is it possible that he was just trying to convey the idea that you got a good deal and said it poorly? If he could have been trying to say the second thing, this may have been a misunderstanding, and it would square with my sense of him that he was an honest dealer. 

Doubtful.  It is one thing to sell it to someone for $300 cheaper in order to keep your word.  But there is no reason to keep lowering your price further to make someone happy.  Especially if that person isn't even responding to your emails.  

51 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

Yes, he asked me to match it.  

So, the "other" guy was someone that was offering him a deal that involved a trade in other art and cash.  I guess the person that he was representing was wanting me to meet the $2,800 deal.  Dave i guess talked to the owner of the piece and I guess the trade/cash deal was getting more and more complicated so they decided to offer it to me for the $2,000 cash since everything got outta wack.  Dave is sending the piece out on Monday to me.  Im really not concerned now about it being authentic, seems like with everyone on here, he is legit and a stand up guy, so I think he is just trying to make this right.  

17 minutes ago, Claudio said:

Doubtful.  It is one thing to sell it to someone for $300 cheaper in order to keep your word.  But there is no reason to keep lowering your price further to make someone happy.  Especially if that person isn't even responding to your emails.  

Do you remember Sherlock Holmes? He used to say that if you eliminate all the alternatives which are impossible, then the one you are left with, no matter how improbable, is the right answer. I've seen a lot of misunderstandings turn into unnecessary arguments by people who have skipped that step. 

Why not just ask him why he feels he has to sell the cover? What happened to the guy who offered $2,800? See if the bits of information string together into something which makes sense, no matter how implausible it may be. 

As I've said before, I like Dave. I wouldn't want to change my opinion of him based on a misunderstanding.

4 minutes ago, RB3 said:

Yes, he asked me to match it.  

So, the "other" guy was someone that was offering him a deal that involved a trade in other art and cash.  I guess the person that he was representing was wanting me to meet the $2,800 deal.  Dave i guess talked to the owner of the piece and I guess the trade/cash deal was getting more and more complicated so they decided to offer it to me for the $2,000 cash since everything got outta wack.  Dave is sending the piece out on Monday to me.  Im really not concerned now about it being authentic, seems like with everyone on here, he is legit and a stand up guy, so I think he is just trying to make this right.  

That makes me feel a lot better, and squares with the suspicion I had just posted a few seconds ago.

37 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

That makes me feel a lot better, and squares with the suspicion I had just posted a few seconds ago.

Yes. Seems less and less like a phantom-bidder situation than the initial post suggested.

31 minutes ago, RB3 said:

Here's an update and outcome for the piece.  So, Dave sent me the piece and I received it.  I know that Dave had offered the piece to me for $2,000 after all the misunderstanding, but I paid him the $2,500 I originally offered.  That's what I felt was a good offer and we both had accepted that price and I did not want to take advantage of Dave nor get him into an awkward position with his consigner, so I paid up.  But, now I have the piece, very happy with it.  

IMG_0773.jpeg

IMG_0775.jpeg

Dang, that is a BEAUTIFUL cover! Nice pick up .... I'm glad all turned out well for everyone. I've bought several pages from Dave in the past and never had an issue.

1 hour ago, martini25 said:

Awesome piece! Glad everything worked out. I might have to start taking a look of the stuff his has to offer. (thumbsu

Notice the note on the bottom to Dan Spiegle? Dave represented Dan, so if you want any Spiegle art, contact him. I bought several pieces.