• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question on Neal Adams Continuty books.

11 posts in this topic

I was offered a set of Continuity Comics from the mid-1980s.  Bunch of ,, titles like Skate Man, Toy Man, Bucky OHare and such. 

Stuff I'd normally pay a nickel for, except these are all personalized and signed by Neal Adams.

Evidently, the original owner was an intern there and these were a departing gift. Mr Adams also wrote a glowing reference for the girl and a copy comes with the collection.

There are about thirty books.  I want to be fair but don't know how to value them. The signatures help, but the personalization hurts.

Thoughts?

On 3/4/2018 at 9:10 PM, shadroch said:

I was offered a set of Continuity Comics from the mid-1980s.  Bunch of ,, titles like Skate Man, Toy Man, Bucky OHare and such. 

Stuff I'd normally pay a nickel for, except these are all personalized and signed by Neal Adams.

Evidently, the original owner was an intern there and these were a departing gift. Mr Adams also wrote a glowing reference for the girl and a copy comes with the collection.

There are about thirty books.  I want to be fair but don't know how to value them. The signatures help, but the personalization hurts.

Thoughts?

There you have it.  Just my personal observation, collectors will buy what they like and thereby generate interest.  If the creator's signature happens to be on it, then it's just an added plus and maybe a small premium.  Given that there is ZERO collector interest in these titles, you're only hedging value on just the creator's signature.  When was the last time you saw anyone buy a book solely for the Neal Adam's signature?   Unless these books have some collector value to you personally, I'd consider it a gift to her and offer a $100 for the lot or pass on the headache.

If it was me, I'd just talk her into keeping them as a memento to pass on later to her kids.     

Think of it this way....how easily and affordably could you get copies of all these books amassed together? I doubt it's too difficult or expensive. Then, how difficult is it to find an Adams signing? Again, it's just cost. They are neat because they have a backstory but not exceptionally more valuable than the sum of their parts, which you could assemble yourself.

fwiw, I'm not much of a sig acquirer on books. I do actually like Megalith and think some of the material,is better than its rep as forgettable.

Adams charges quite a bit for his signature these days, so just getting the books and getting to the show is less of an option.  But I'm not aware of his signature being worth that much unless it's yellow label, which lets those books out.  I got a signed Valeria the She-Bat with a CoA for a buck fifty a year or so ago at Half Price Books, for example.

Pay what they're worth to you; I wouldn't bet on any particular resale value to them.

Edited by OtherEric

3 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

Adams charges quite a bit for his signature these days, so just getting the books and getting to the show is less of an option...

Pay what they're worth to you; I wouldn't bet on any particular resale value to them.

You can find Neal at almost most big conventions, so getting his signature isn’t an issue just the price. He seems to keep on raising his price every year unfortunately. 

On 3/24/2018 at 8:46 PM, DjMartini said:

You can find Neal at almost most big conventions, so getting his signature isn’t an issue just the price. He seems to keep on raising his price every year unfortunately. 

Hell, it's $30 just to get a picture with him! Not that I'd want one, but I had to shake my head when I saw his booth last month. It's just nuts. 

I have a few of the early 90s continuity books signed by him .."limited signings" and such with crappy certificates. i got them out of my LCS 3 for $2 box. Of course, he may not have even looked at them and just saw continuity and said BLECHHH!

Neal signed almost his entire Continuity line and offered them for sale at 2-5 a pop at the time. They came with a cheap printed COA and sometimes even with a pic. Joe Koch has them in his werehouse for $5 a pop last I checked with him and he has most of the titles. My opinion it would be very difficult to move

On 3/28/2018 at 6:38 PM, Aweandlorder said:

Neal signed almost his entire Continuity line and offered them for sale at 2-5 a pop at the time. They came with a cheap printed COA and sometimes even with a pic. Joe Koch has them in his werehouse for $5 a pop last I checked with him and he has most of the titles. My opinion it would be very difficult to move

This.

Also - Neal Adams is at Awesome Con in DC this weekend.

He's charging $30 for a photo and $50 for a signature.

It's cheaper to buy these types of books on the open market than to actually replicate them by getting them signed yourself.

Edited by Gatsby77