• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm scared of buying off ebay
1 1

69 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, NoMan said:

There I said it. Seems like some real dicey sh*t.

I see all the blocked/bad guy seller ebay threads. Is there a good-guy ebay seller thread?

Thanks. 

Sincerely, 

Frightened in Los Angeles

We don't want more competition on the good guy eBay seller front.

Sincerely,

Figure it out Yourself

2 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Figure it out Yourself

can't. got kicked in the head by a horse than ate the insides of a clock when I was a kid. got problems. 

Edited by NoMan

5 hours ago, NoMan said:

can't. got kicked in the head by a horse than ate the insides of a clock when I was a kid. got problems. 

Here is some advice to making all your transactions safe - always pay with a credit card - especially if you don't trust the person.  If you've paid with Paypal, with your credit card, you are doubly insulated.

Edited by lizards2
backwards

5 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Here is some advice to making all your transactions safe - always pay with a credit card - especially if you trust the person.  If you've paid with Paypal, with your credit card, you are doubly insulated.

I hear that and appreciate the advice. Just trying to avoid hassles from jump.

Been shopping ebay on/off for 10 years - here're some high volume I've liked that others apparently like too (high ending bids):

zilla4f (Lange)
comics4less - expect to pay high since they grade tightly and have tons of followers
JSComics
Infinity comics

OK sellers (w/ grades at least in the ballpark if not spot on):
Sell my comic books (previously Goodrockrich) is ok, can take a while to ship, and seems to press every book before listing it.
Crystal city (I think)
AND just some guy selling his comics who assigns grades AND with scans that match

Sellers I avoid because of warning signs or outright scammer jerks:
coast to coast
collectors comics (I'd quit collecting before I'd send him a penny of my money)
others- my memory's not cooperating right now, haven't shopped in a few weeks

3 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Personally I think there’s more scam buyers than sellers because the sellers are generally easier to spot (true example - 9.8 Hulk 181 for 12 grand from a zero feedback seller).  If it sounds too good to be true, pass.

I agree with Matt. More Sellers are good. I worry about selling on Ebay. I have a book listed right now for over $1000 and I am worried as hell when it sells that a buyer is going to try and scam me.

Just look at the feedback, and use Paypal with credit card.

The list of good-guy sellers is hopefully longer than the bad-guy sellers on eBay but it would ridiculous to put a threat of that on here. Like it was said, I think you need to figure you out yourself by looking at the seller's Feedback page (pretty much what it is meant for). If they have some really shady feedback = don't buy from them. Also, the most recent feedback can pretty much determine how they are. 

I've been wheeling and dealing on eBay since 2002 and most of my transactions have been good because I do my homework. Definitely recommend looking through the EBAY: BLOCKED USER LIST if you want to narrow down the bad people. 

If eBay really scares you that much, take a look at the selling threads. Definitely some good people on here selling some good quality stuff as well. (thumbsu

A list of good peeps:

rasmus2 

twincitiescomics

thirdeyecomicsonline 

djmartini_store

Edited by martini25

19 minutes ago, grebal said:

Been shopping ebay on/off for 10 years - here're some high volume I've liked that others apparently like too (high ending bids):

zilla4f (Lange)
comics4less - expect to pay high since they grade tightly and have tons of followers
JSComics
Infinity comics

Sell my comic books (previously Goodrockrich) is ok, can take a while to ship, and seems to press every book before listing it.
Crystal city (I think)
AND just some guy selling his comics who assigns grades AND with scans that match

coast to coast

as always, thanks for your time, Grebal. 

12 minutes ago, martini25 said:

The list of good-guy sellers is hopefully longer than the bad-guy sellers on eBay but it would ridiculous to put a threat of that on here. Like it was said, I think you need to figure you out yourself by looking at the seller's Feedback page (pretty much what it is meant for). If they have some really shady feedback = don't buy from them. Also, the most recent feedback can pretty much determine how they are. 

I've been wheeling and dealing on eBay since 2002 and most of my transactions have been good because I do my homework. Definitely recommend looking through the EBAY: BLOCKED USER LIST if you want to narrow down the bad people. 

If eBay really scares you that much, take a look at the selling threads. Definitely some good people on here selling some good quality stuff as well. (thumbsu

A list of good peeps:

rasmus2 

twincitiescomics

thirdeyecomicsonline 

djmartini_store

copy. thanks. 

12 minutes ago, NoMan said:

because?

Let's say a seller sells undisclosed restoration - buyer returns, seller quickly complies and says "sorry".
Positive feedback (or no feedback) would almost universally be given anyway, since buyer got his money back.  Sometimes you gotta read between the lines to find these, and they could be a few paged back.

Let's say a seller calls a VF but comic is really only a FN - but the winning bid is a good price - and comic arrives as pictured and quickly.
Again, most buyers will leave positive feedback, possibly adding a reference to 'weak grading'.  With high volume sellers, these drop down quickly to p 2.

If you research many pages back of feedback and do a lot of reading between the lines, you can sometimes find those 20,000 feedback sellers with a lot of lukewarm endorsements.

Sometimes the opposite is true - great sellers get feedback that just says "thanks."  So it's very iffy to use feedback alone.  I've just seen too many super-high feedback sellers that I wouldn't buy from (or tried once and learned a lesson).  Like that scammer "collectors comics" has amazing score, yet buries disclosure of "slight restoration" in middle of text block, and uses the term "slight" when it's actually extensive.   (Tricky because the meaning of "slight" by the pros includes what most normal people would not consider "slight" when it includes more than a tiny bit or two, and who knows how much you need for it to be "moderate" resto - I'd guess extensive given the liberal use of the term 'slight').

Edited by grebal

15 minutes ago, NoMan said:
35 minutes ago, grebal said:

zilla4f (Lange)
JSComics
Infinity comics

Crystal city (I think)

coast to coast

as always, thanks for your time, Grebal. 

Since JSComics blocked me after I've purchased 100s of books from them, probably from something I said here, I've got nothing to lose.

JSComics has multiple graders, so you need to rely heavily on viewing the scans.  And they do not note foxing as a defect, and sometimes use stock scans.  Lately, they overgrade by at least a grade, sometimes more, depending on the grader.  I used to consistently get undergrades with the overgrades, but not so much in the past several years.

11 minutes ago, grebal said:

Let's say a seller sells undisclosed restoration - buyer returns, seller quickly complies and says "sorry".
Positive feedback (or no feedback) would almost universally be given anyway, since buyer got his money back.  Sometimes you gotta read between the lines to find these, and they could be a few paged back.

Let's say a seller calls a VF but comic is really only a FN - but the winning bid is a good price - and comic arrives as pictured and quickly.
Again, most buyers will leave positive feedback, possibly adding a reference to 'weak grading'.  With high volume sellers, these drop down quickly to p 2.

If you research many pages back of feedback and do a lot of reading between the lines, you can sometimes find those 20,000 feedback sellers with a lot of lukewarm endorsements.

Sometimes the opposite is true - great sellers get feedback that just says "thanks."  So it's very iffy to use feedback alone.  I've just seen too many super-high feedback sellers that I wouldn't buy from (or tried once and learned a lesson).  Like that scammer "collectors comics" has amazing score, yet buries disclosure of "slight restoration" in middle of text block, and uses the term "slight" when it's actually extensive.   (Tricky because the meaning of "slight" by the pros includes what most normal people would not consider "slight" when it includes more than a tiny bit or two, and who knows how much you need for it to be "moderate" resto - I'd guess extensive given the liberal use of the term 'slight').

Interesting. Lots of great info there. Thank you for taking the time.