• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm scared of buying off ebay
1 1

69 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, punksdropdirtysrh said:

That’s true about feedback not being very reliable. I’ll admit that a couple times where I thought a book was undergraded I still left positive fb. It seems I actually end up blaming myself rather than the seller...which sounds hilarious now that I think about it. And a time where I bought a mag and it was shipped without any protection in a yellow envelope. But in that instance I sort of expected it. Perhaps I just have a very high tolerance for poor selling tactics. Come to think of it I’ve never left a negative fb. One time a seller deserved it...but still didn’t do it. A seller would have to really burn me to get a neg...so far nothing too rough as I mentioned earlier. 

Wait I said undergraded when I meant overgraded...duh :insane:

Just now, punksdropdirtysrh said:
19 minutes ago, punksdropdirtysrh said:

That’s true about feedback not being very reliable. I’ll admit that a couple times where I thought a book was undergraded I still left positive fb. It seems I actually end up blaming myself rather than the seller...which sounds hilarious now that I think about it. And a time where I bought a mag and it was shipped without any protection in a yellow envelope. But in that instance I sort of expected it. Perhaps I just have a very high tolerance for poor selling tactics. Come to think of it I’ve never left a negative fb. One time a seller deserved it...but still didn’t do it. A seller would have to really burn me to get a neg...so far nothing too rough as I mentioned earlier. 

Wait I said undergraded when I meant overgraded...duh :insane:

I think you should still neg those lazy @zzhats.

Just follow the Ride The Tigers guide to comic shopping on the Bay and you'll be fine. Lets begin.

1.  WoW  <--- if this is in the title you should bid asap before someone else snatches it up.

2. Comes Bagged and Boarded  <---- You find this in the title then you know its a Gem. Buy it!

3. "I know nothing about grading so ask many questions"  <--- this in the description shows how honest the seller is. Bid Bid Bid.

4. Picture of comic in plastic but no pic of the back.  <---- Hello. The comic is in such great shape that removing it from the bag might damage it. You want this book.

5. CGC It.  <--- Well come on how can this be a bad idea?

Just follow those 5 simple rules and soon you'll be buying comics off the Bay just like the rest of us. :)

I have bought comics and pulps and toys and tons of things on ebay since like 1996 and I never once have had a problem. But then I am not buying comics that everyone wants and are thousands of dollars either, those are the only ones people try and scam with. Ebay is just too expensive now anyway for the most part, it used to be fun and a good place to find stuff for cheap, but now it's become like antique stores and flea markets have become, everyone tries to sell everything for way high or they know what it's worth and everything is just too expensive.

1 minute ago, catman76 said:

I have bought comics and pulps and toys and tons of things on ebay since like 1996 and I never once have had a problem. But then I am not buying comics that everyone wants and are thousands of dollars either, those are the only ones people try and scam with. Ebay is just too expensive now anyway for the most part, it used to be fun and a good place to find stuff for cheap, but now it's become like antique stores and flea markets have become, everyone tries to sell everything for way high or they know what it's worth and everything is just too expensive.

I agree that it use to be fun hunting now it just a rip off :D

7 hours ago, grebal said:

Let's say a seller sells undisclosed restoration - buyer returns, seller quickly complies and says "sorry".
Positive feedback (or no feedback) would almost universally be given anyway, since buyer got his money back.  Sometimes you gotta read between the lines to find these, and they could be a few paged back.

Let's say a seller calls a VF but comic is really only a FN - but the winning bid is a good price - and comic arrives as pictured and quickly.
Again, most buyers will leave positive feedback, possibly adding a reference to 'weak grading'.  With high volume sellers, these drop down quickly to p 2.

If you research many pages back of feedback and do a lot of reading between the lines, you can sometimes find those 20,000 feedback sellers with a lot of lukewarm endorsements.

Sometimes the opposite is true - great sellers get feedback that just says "thanks."  So it's very iffy to use feedback alone.  I've just seen too many super-high feedback sellers that I wouldn't buy from (or tried once and learned a lesson).  Like that scammer "collectors comics" has amazing score, yet buries disclosure of "slight restoration" in middle of text block, and uses the term "slight" when it's actually extensive.   (Tricky because the meaning of "slight" by the pros includes what most normal people would not consider "slight" when it includes more than a tiny bit or two, and who knows how much you need for it to be "moderate" resto - I'd guess extensive given the liberal use of the term 'slight').

• You are protected by PayPal
  • Price? You pay for what you think it is worth.  If you do not feel it is not worth it move on or wait. 
  • There is a high profile seller on these boards who has sold me a book with undisclosed restoration - they took it back after examining the book and made me whole.  It happens once in awhile.  It's part of the hobby.  How people handle the situation is everything to me. 
  • I mostly buy and sell graded books anyway. 

Honestly though I love hunting for comics on eBay. If you bid on auctions from well known sellers you will have alot of competition. If you take your time and look for those not so well known sellers you may find a good deal. I've gotten some pretty good books over the tears. And yes i've also gotten some pretty poor books also. I guess I never spend a ton on my books so it all evens out. If you want no surprises buy the book that already comes in a CGC slab.

Just now, MGsimba77 said:

Hey I don't blame the guy. With listings like this who wouldn't be a little frightened? :whatthe: https://m.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spiderman-89-1st-series-Fine-condition/122940761611?_trksid=p2504926.m5232.l9681 

And to top it off you get a new bag & board!!

Only $350 for shipping?  Seems legit.

7 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Hey I don't blame the guy. With listings like this who wouldn't be a little frightened? :whatthe: https://m.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spiderman-89-1st-series-Fine-condition/122940761611?_trksid=p2504926.m5232.l9681 

And to top it off you get a new bag & board!!

Dude, I got a copy that’s about a 9.0.  Retirement time!!

I've selling on eBay for 20+ years (100% positive feedback, top rated power seller, the whole bag) and buying longer than that, and my experience is that it's the buyers who are going to waste your time and money. As has been pointed out, as a buyer, you are protected via Paypal and credit card (if you pay that way.) As a seller, you're selectively protected by eBay and Paypal, if they feel like it at that moment. I've had to eat it a few times as a seller. I've never been left holding the bag as a buyer. It can be inconvenient to have to return something and wait for your refund or for eBay's final ruling, but by and large, buyers are in power, no question. Lots of good feedback can be a good indicator, but is not foolproof, for sure. Clear scans, and just a gut feeling about whether or not the deal you're looking at is "right", goes a long way.

I mainly stick to slabs as much as I can when selling on eBay. I don't fear selling on ebay. You will need to do it correctly though, Invest in a legal sized scanner...your cellphone photo where all I can see on the case is you taking the picture and not the actual book is quite annoying. The faster the customer gets their item, the happier they are. 

1 hour ago, Kevin76 said:

I mainly stick to slabs as much as I can when selling on eBay. I don't fear selling on ebay. You will need to do it correctly though, Invest in a legal sized scanner...your cellphone photo where all I can see on the case is you taking the picture and not the actual book is quite annoying. The faster the customer gets their item, the happier they are. 

That is now everywhere even on the boards.  My last sales thread I had a buyer PM me wondering when his books were shipping and he paid on a Thursday afternoon and it was the following Monday morning.  It use to be you could ship within a week with no problems (one of the reasons for selling on the boards) and now it seems like people want it shipped within 2 days no matter what.  Amazon prime effect.

Oops...I'm #3 and didn't realize that was frowned upon. I just started selling and don't sell many raw books but when I do I don't list a grade. Instead I list every flaw I can find in the book and take pics of each flaw. Does it really matter what grade I think it is if all the information is presented? I'm genuinely asking, not saying I'm right. Thinking of switching over to Comic Link anyway so it might be a moot point. Here is a raw I have posted now...should I update with a grade?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/292469874020?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

17 hours ago, Ride the Tiger said:

Just follow the Ride The Tigers guide to comic shopping on the Bay and you'll be fine. Lets begin.

1.  WoW  <--- if this is in the title you should bid asap before someone else snatches it up.

2. Comes Bagged and Boarded  <---- You find this in the title then you know its a Gem. Buy it!

3. "I know nothing about grading so ask many questions"  <--- this in the description shows how honest the seller is. Bid Bid Bid.

4. Picture of comic in plastic but no pic of the back.  <---- Hello. The comic is in such great shape that removing it from the bag might damage it. You want this book.

5. CGC It.  <--- Well come on how can this be a bad idea?

Just follow those 5 simple rules and soon you'll be buying comics off the Bay just like the rest of us. :)

2 minutes ago, Sdmeyer11 said:

Oops...I'm #3 and didn't realize that was frowned upon. I just started selling and don't sell many raw books but when I do I don't list a grade. Instead I list every flaw I can find in the book and take pics of each flaw. Does it really matter what grade I think it is if all the information is presented? I'm genuinely asking, not saying I'm right. Thinking of switching over to Comic Link anyway so it might be a moot point. Here is a raw I have posted now...should I update with a grade?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/292469874020?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

Your auction looks fine IMO. You have many pictures and describe all the defects. I was basically poking fun at the listers that give you a bad pic and no description. They figure they will take no responsibility for the condition and put it all on you by making you ask every question you can think of. You're good. :)