• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm scared of buying off ebay
1 1

69 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Ride the Tiger said:

Your auction looks fine IMO. You have many pictures and describe all the defects. I was basically poking fun at the listers that give you a bad pic and no description. They figure they will take no responsibility for the condition and put it all on you by making you ask every question you can think of. You're good. :) 

Really appreciate you taking a look...and I totally get what you're saying now about the sales with one or two pics and no grades.

20 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

To be fair to the no effort sellers, you can occasionally land a sweet deal if you’re willing to take the risk.  I once bought an X-Men lot of 56-58, one bad pic/no description for $60, and they graded out 8.0, 9.0, 8.0.  

Absolutely! There are real deals to be had out there, if you're willing to roll the dice. With buyer protection, as long as we're not talking about crazy money, I will sometimes take a leap of faith.

23 hours ago, comicjack said:

I agree that it use to be fun hunting now it just a rip off :D

Yeah i just bought some comic on eBay that is way crappier than it looked but for $15 it's not even worth the hassle of sending it back, its sitting on the table now and it smells like its been stored in a damp crawlspace for the last 50 years :sorry:

19 hours ago, mattn792 said:

To be fair to the no effort sellers, you can occasionally land a sweet deal if you’re willing to take the risk.  I once bought an X-Men lot of 56-58, one bad pic/no description for $60, and they graded out 8.0, 9.0, 8.0.  

I look for these "deals" all of the time. You win some, you lose some. When I lose, I make sure I bid so that I come out even. The generic titles with no description are the best! I love to see a title like "Lot of X-Man Comics" because I know this listing isn't going to be a bidding war, no one is looking for it. 

22 hours ago, 1Cool said:

That is now everywhere even on the boards.  My last sales thread I had a buyer PM me wondering when his books were shipping and he paid on a Thursday afternoon and it was the following Monday morning.  It use to be you could ship within a week with no problems (one of the reasons for selling on the boards) and now it seems like people want it shipped within 2 days no matter what.  Amazon prime effect.

Did you communicate with the buyer and tell him it would ship within a week? Its sounds as if you sent an invoice, received payment and then went silent so I’m not surprised he sent a PM 4 days later. When I sell here and get paid, I usually send a thank you PM with the day I expect to ship, or even a thank you along with the tracking number. Was it a massive Foolkiller-style sales threads with hundreds of books sold? How many days does it take to package and ship a comic?

2 hours ago, Pontoon said:

Did you communicate with the buyer and tell him it would ship within a week? Its sounds as if you sent an invoice, received payment and then went silent so I’m not surprised he sent a PM 4 days later. When I sell here and get paid, I usually send a thank you PM with the day I expect to ship, or even a thank you along with the tracking number. Was it a massive Foolkiller-style sales threads with hundreds of books sold? How many days does it take to package and ship a comic?

It was a pretty big magazine sales thread (probably not Foolkiller big but pretty big).  Shipping magazines takes finding big boxes and does take a bit more time and with 30 buyers it did take close to a week before all packages shipped.  My point is I would have not gotten any messages for at least a week a few years ago.  Now I'm getting PMs within a few days asking when books are shipping.  People even on the boards are just getting very use to almost instant shipping.

3 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

It was a pretty big magazine sales thread (probably not Foolkiller big but pretty big).  Shipping magazines takes finding big boxes and does take a bit more time and with 30 buyers it did take close to a week before all packages shipped.  My point is I would have not gotten any messages for at least a week a few years ago.  Now I'm getting PMs within a few days asking when books are shipping.  People even on the boards are just getting very use to almost instant shipping.

Millenials...., :eyeroll: