• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gender/Race-Exclusive ECCC-sponsored mixers?
3 3

103 posts in this topic

I get the point (to some extent), but my answer would be similar to Kumail Nanjani (sp?) on the Oscars last night:

- For decades and centuries, minorities (including racial, religious, women, LGBTQ) have been able to enjoy and connect with stories and issues that are made by CIS straight white men, even though they are not those things.  I can't think of any reason things can't go the other way, unless the argument is that straight white men are not as evolved in terms of empathy, but that seems like an disturbing judgment to make about a whole class of people being less evolved.

For most of my life, every comic show I went to was something very close to being an all white, straight, male mixer, 24/7. Nothing intrinsically wrong with being any of those things (I am actually all of those things!) but it's not like if I wanted to gather with "my group", I'd have a hard time doing it, or would need a protected space to do so. I'd think that those "exclusive" mixers are something more like setting up a safe space for those groups to do their thing. I see no problem with it. If you're wanting a straight white male mixer in the comics world, we're all practically living in one, unless you count "bald w/ beard" and "Hawaiian shirts" and "fedoras" sub-species deserving of their own mixers as well.

41 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

For most of my life, every comic show I went to was something very close to being an all white, straight, male mixer, 24/7. Nothing intrinsically wrong with being any of those things (I am actually all of those things!) but it's not like if I wanted to gather with "my group", I'd have a hard time doing it, or would need a protected space to do so. I'd think that those "exclusive" mixers are something more like setting up a safe space for those groups to do their thing. I see no problem with it. If you're wanting a straight white male mixer in the comics world, we're all practically living in one, unless you count "bald w/ beard" and "Hawaiian shirts" and "fedoras" sub-species deserving of their own mixers as well.

When I go to cons, I guess I'm out of the loop because I didn't even know there were any "mixers"... I'm still not sure what that even is. Is it a private party independent of the Con? Are they sponsored by the Con - as in the Con supplies the room, chairs, etc?

I just don't even know what a "mixer" is. I'd have no problem with groups of folks with similar interests renting space at a Con to throw a private little get-together, if that's what it is - as long as they'd allow all groups the right to set up their own "mixer" and exclude anyone else based on race/gender etc too.

Edited by jcjames

14 hours ago, jcjames said:

When I go to cons, I guess I'm out of the loop because I didn't even know there were any "mixers"... I'm still not sure what that even is. Is it a private party independent of the Con? Are they sponsored by the Con - as in the Con supplies the room, chairs, etc?

I just don't even know what a "mixer" is. I'd have no problem with groups of folks with similar interests renting space at a Con to throw a private little get-together, if that's what it is - as long as they'd allow all groups the right to set up their own "mixer" and exclude anyone else based on race/gender etc too.

I think in general a "mixer" at a con is exactly along the lines of what you're thinking, it's a small party meant for small social groups to gather at a larger event.  I guess my question, given the tone of the linked article, is whether the writer was truly looking for a white, straight, male mixer, or if they were just looking to stir up trouble because of the other mixers being exclusive? I can see why women, or black people, or LGBTQ people, or any other minority, might be looking to have a small event where they don't feel like they have to look over their shoulder. I'm not sure why a white dude at a comic show would ever feel that way, as they/we (again, straight, white male dude here) overwhelmingly represent the majority at these events. But as for whether or not the con itself is sponsoring discriminatory events, that could very well be a valid legal question, and I'd have to defer to the legal eagles on the boards to weigh in on whether or not that is kosher.

Mixer? What’s that for? I must be getting old because I’ve been going to big cons for years and having seen about every different kind of character these fans come by themselves. Does not bother me, the con is like entering another dimension for awhile.

54 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

I think in general a "mixer" at a con is exactly along the lines of what you're thinking, it's a small party meant for small social groups to gather at a larger event.  I guess my question, given the tone of the linked article, is whether the writer was truly looking for a white, straight, male mixer, or if they were just looking to stir up trouble because of the other mixers being exclusive? I can see why women, or black people, or LGBTQ people, or any other minority, might be looking to have a small event where they don't feel like they have to look over their shoulder. I'm not sure why a white dude at a comic show would ever feel that way, as they/we (again, straight, white male dude here) overwhelmingly represent the majority at these events. But as for whether or not the con itself is sponsoring discriminatory events, that could very well be a valid legal question, and I'd have to defer to the legal eagles on the boards to weigh in on whether or not that is kosher.

Why would they have to "look over their shoulder"?

Has there been a history of problems at ECCC or cons in general with CSWM's being a threat to minorities attending cons?

And yes, the jist of this thread was whether ECCC was openly sponsoring/hosting only certain race-and-gender-discriminatory events.

Edited by jcjames

Hmmm...mixed feelings on this.  Kind of goes back to other conversations about the 'old days'.  Comic Conventions in small hotel conference rooms (typically a Holiday Inn), about 20 tables of guys just selling comics, you'd be lucky if there was 1 artist or writer there.  No costumes, no vape sales, no pretense, and nobody cared about your race, gender or sexual preference.  With growth comes growing pains.  If these people feel like they need a special group, then have at it.  I'm so busy with my head buried in long boxes I don't notice any of the other stuff, and frankly don't care much either.  

2 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

Hmmm...mixed feelings on this.  Kind of goes back to other conversations about the 'old days'.  Comic Conventions in small hotel conference rooms (typically a Holiday Inn), about 20 tables of guys just selling comics, you'd be lucky if there was 1 artist or writer there.  No costumes, no vape sales, no pretense, and nobody cared about your race, gender or sexual preference.  With growth comes growing pains.  If these people feel like they need a special group, then have at it.  I'm so busy with my head buried in long boxes I don't notice any of the other stuff, and frankly don't care much either.  

AFAIK, that is/was always the case even with big cons of recent years - nobody cared, until......... those that make EVERYTHING about race/gender decided they want a con-sponsored separate-but-equal gathering that excludes people based on race and gender. 

Nobody cares until they're shown a sign at a con that literally says ["You People" (CSWMs) Are Not Welcome].

Is this a growing trend? Next will there be con-sponsored race/gender-exclusive panels and rooms? Will there be certain times when YOU won't be allowed to bury your head in long-boxes to give special time and space for minorities to look through long-boxes without having to "look over their shoulder" at people like you?

1 hour ago, F For Fake said:

PS: I've never gone to a "mixer" either, or VIP party, or any of that stuff, because I'm an antisocial weirdo who just wants to buy his comics, speak to the fewest number of people possible, then retreat to his hotel room with a bag of treasures and take out pizza.

except for the pizza, which is disgusting, you described me to a "T"

30 minutes ago, jcjames said:

Why would they have to "look over their shoulder"?

Has there been a history of problems at ECCC or cons in general with CSWM's being a threat to minorities attending cons?

And yes, the jist of this thread was whether ECCC was openly sponsoring/hosting only certain race-and-gender-discriminatory events.

Not talking about cons specifically, just their lives in general. Women and minorities are, in general, dealing with more creeps (at best) and threats (at worst) in their daily lives.

13 minutes ago, jcjames said:

AFAIK, that is/was always the case even with big cons of recent years - nobody cared, until......... those that make EVERYTHING about race/gender decided they want a con-sponsored separate-but-equal gathering that excludes people based on race and gender. 

Nobody cares until they're shown a sign at a con that literally says ["You People" (CSWMs) Are Not Welcome].

Is this a growing trend? Next will there be con-sponsored race/gender-exclusive panels and rooms? Will there be certain times when YOU won't be allowed to bury your head in long-boxes to give special time and space for minorities to look through long-boxes without having to "look over their shoulder" at people like you?

But is that what happened? Maybe I misread, but my understanding isn't that straight, white males were turned away from any mixers, they just didn't have any events set up specifically for them. Did a white dude try to get into a party and was told he couldn't come in? I'd be surprised if that was the case.

Just now, NoMan said:

except for the pizza, which is disgusting, you described me to a "T"

Loner weirdos unite! Or better yet, don't!

21 hours ago, jcjames said:

Are these race/gender-exclusive "mixers" sponsored by ECCC?

https://pjmedia.com/trending/segregation-comic-con-no-straight-white-males-allowed-parties/

Screen-Shot-2018-03-02-at-12.58.44-PM.pn

Feel free to attend the mixer.  No-one is checking the door to ONLY let in a certain group.  There are however, organized mixers set up by groups interested in giving certain groups the ability to feel included.  Panels and mixers are organized by individuals who submit requests.  Anyone can submit, ECCC chooses the ones they think will get good interest.