• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's up with Rob Liefeld? No CGC?
4 4

438 posts in this topic

On 3/12/2018 at 12:58 PM, NoMan said:

I'm thinking about bailing on getting a Chris Clairmont sig (raw, non CGC SS) and thanking him telling him how much I enjoy his writing because of this madness. I don't know who's to blame. I'm sure there's plenty of blame to go around, fan and creator and facilitator.  I know, I know, the creator's don't care. Who needs me to thank them and tell them their writing has meant a lot to me? Especially a fan like me who's just gonna cherish the book and experience. Not gonna flip it. I know, I'm just a simple naive fool. It's all about the $$$.

Actually, from the 411 from board members here, I'll get Clairmont's sig and shake is hand. But the person I hold in highest esteem, who's work is second-to-none to me is Frank Miller circa DD run, DTR and Batman Year One and I wouldn't bother getting anywhere near him to say "thank you."

Actually Frank Miller signed for 1 hr at the dark horse booth at NYCC 2017 The signing was ticketed and free.  He even signed 2 Hard Covers for me for free and we had a 60 second conversation.  His manager wasn't involved and CGC wasn't because the books were hard covers.  So it was incredibly pleasant and he was very nice like the 5 other times I have met him.  I have 2 SS Miller books 1 that I got for free in 2005 before the pay to play game came into effect.  and one for the 300 dollar price.  They are both prized the the book is paid 300 for could fetch 1200 dollars any day of the week.  Just wait for a free booth signing to come along and don't get the book CGC'd.

It is simple the Creators believe they have the right to ask and charge descriminatory pricing.  The Convention promoters and CGC do not feel they can do anything about it because it is dangerous to rock the boat and costly.  The only thing that will change the landscape it to not pay any creator to sign and sacrafice getting your items signed.  Yes it will hurt.  Trust me I choose to forfeit getting items signed sometimes due to budget sometimes due to principle and it hurts.  If for a whole year 365 days every facilitator who did not rep artist and all collectors boycotted creators who are charging fees CGC or otherwise the industry would change completely.  

Edited by SignatureSelect

On April 2, 2018 at 10:32 AM, reddwarf666222 said:

Cant Keep a good thread down

On March 29, 2018 at 9:37 AM, fullerjason said:

These two have the answers to everything Comic Grading Company related....

are there "jump cuts" all over this or is my feeble mind simply asserting its control?

1 minute ago, reddwarf666222 said:

The video was absolutely hilarious. You can tell they were just making up stuff and not knowing the process of how things went.

The technology exists now that anyone can make a tv show/movie without any expertise at all. At first you think that this is a good thing because it democratizes the art of film making/tv show making but after thinking about it for a little longer, you realize that no, this is not a good thing. 

54 minutes ago, fullerjason said:

Jim Lee is doing Sketches at Lake Como Comic Art Festival. More info can be found here at his agents site, http://www.albertmoy.com/ArtistCommission.asp?ArtistId=380. Here is an example of what $1000 gets you:

001.jpg.c911fe59e4a1fcd31bc37bba967ddca5.jpg

That's about a $100 level commission for an A artist.

Part of me thinks that Albert Moy is to blame for that ridiculous price. But that might be a result to the brain-scrambling I got by reading this entire thread again just now. The 3-4 times I’ve met Jim Lee he seems really charitable and nice... not the kind of guy who charges $1000 for a card stock sketch or $4000 for a bust on a sketch cover. The man gives away more detailed pieces on each of his Twitch streams.

Edited by RadiantGraphix